The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #421
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm still really in love with the colors for this.

Best reprint coloring by IDW I've ever seen. Not quite enough to get me to give up B&W as my preference, but still damn pretty...
I honestly couldn’t agree more. Some of them have been horrible and unnecessary. This adds to the Image black and white so much and makes it way easier to follow the art and almost horrific.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #422
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
"Rattus Norvegicus"

Wouldn't Splinter more likely be Rattus Tanezumi?

Edit:
Alright, so now I've actually read the third issue. Not gonna lie, I'm kind of starting to see why this series didn't sell back in the day. The story so far amounts to this:

"Guy wants to take over Japan because his ancestors ruled Japan. He sends out cyborgs and ninja women to kidnap Splinter. Raph is mutilated and Don breaks his back. Evil Guy has an assload of mutants, aliens, cyborgs and other weirdness in his secret lab. Splinter is believed to be the useful test subject. Turns out Evil Guy wants to do the research so he can transform into a Dragon through mutagen. And now Donnie is a skeleton."

For a TMNT story that you're meant to take seriously, this is pretty dumb. In addition to this, I also know that Donnie becomes one of the cyborgs and Splinter becomes a bat. Maybe it'll make sense but so far I just find this series to be bizarre. And i'm not angry or perplexed at this version, certainly not when trash like TNM or OotS is out there. Archie TMNT is actually noticeably worse than this, it's not that bad. At least it tries to have decent pacing and artwork, I just don't think it's very appealing in general.

At least the part about Splinter kind of being a dirty old man was amusing.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 07-11-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: I've actually read the issue now.
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #423
CyberCubed
Overlord

The first arc is 5 issues and it hits the ground running, honestly aside from Raph possibly being scarred and wondering if Don dies (spoiler: he doesn't, he becomes a cyborg for a while), the plotlines in Image are par the course for TMNT at the time. It's not like robots, mutants, aliens, cyborgs are anything out of the usual for TMNT, every series has them.

After this the Image series focuses on a more urban gang/mobster story with issues 6-8. But we still have these opening 5 issues to go.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #424
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
For a TMNT story that you're meant to take seriously, this is pretty dumb. In addition to this, I also know that Donnie becomes one of the cyborgs and Splinter becomes a bat. Maybe it'll make sense but so far I just find this series to be bizarre. And i'm not angry or perplexed at this version, certainly not when trash like TNM or OotS is out there. Archie TMNT is actually noticeably worse than this, it's not that bad. At least it tries to have decent pacing and artwork, I just don't think it's very appealing in general.

At least the part about Splinter kind of being a dirty old man was amusing.
It is unabashedly 90's. Look no further than the ridiculous--dare I say cheeky?--design for Pimiko.

But, if you stick with it, you get some incredible character development from this series. Casey and April being a family with Shadow; Raphael really growing past the one-note angry Wolverine ripoff; Michelangelo being more than the party dude; the Foot Clan continuing to evolve past Oroku Saki.

Also, dem colors. I'm a full believer now. It makes the women look more ridiculous, but Mako drooling with a mouthful of teeth or Donatello drenched in blood... or a blood-drenched empty turtle shell with a skeleton...

Yeah. This series really needed to be colorized. AND IT IS COLORED SO WELL!!!

Are we sure IDW is reprinting this, not some other publisher? 'Cause these colors are just trippin' balls fantastic.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #425
Ninjinister
無問題

My thought is either two different people were responsible for tapping the colorists between their Mirage reprints and these, or that person took heed of the criticism from the previous attempts.

I mean, I can't even say that the color derps before were even solely the fault of the colorists not knowing the material, since they actually recolored already-colored images, including covers, with the "wrong" colors. It had to be a person above them who signed off on those schemes.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #426
neatoman
Emperor

Greg Guzowski is the colorist for this one. Digikore Design Limited and Tom Smith's Scorpion Studios made the previous colorizations, I don't know about TSSS but DDL is located in India. That's right, they actually outsourced the coloring to India...
Hahahaha!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #427
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Digikore Design Limited and Tom Smith's Scorpion Studios made the previous colorizations, I don't know about TSSS but DDL is located in India. That's right, they actually outsourced the coloring to India...
That explains quite a bit about those Mirage Color "Classics."

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #428
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Goodness. Are things that bad that we need to outsource comic book coloring to India? Joe Schmoe who colors really good and lives in Bronson, Iowa is going to charge too much money?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #429
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Goodness. Are things that bad that we need to outsource comic book coloring to India? Joe Schmoe who colors really good and lives in Bronson, Iowa is going to charge too much money?
As someone completely ignorant of this task, how hard can coloring be?

Mirage is done in black and white. I mean, kids buy coloring books all the lines. Keep a consistent green for the Turtles' skin, stay inside the lines...

Hell, you don't even have to worry about coloring the wrong color bandanna. IT'S MIRAGE.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #430
neatoman
Emperor

Coloring is like any other artistic skill, simple at the core but very difficult to become good at. Ringo Starr and Leonardo Da Vinci are both able to craft images, one is just clearly better than the other.

As for why they hired anonymous Indians to color the books? I don't really know, ask Bobby if you really want to know.

My guess is that because they had roughly 2500 pages they wanted colored for fairly rapid publication, it was kind of a big load for for some singular freelancer. Then the option is between hiring multiple people individually or outsource it to a firm, the latter option being cheaper.

I don't know how the budget would actually balance out, it's just my best guess.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #431
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
As for why they hired anonymous Indians to color the books? I don't really know, ask Bobby if you really want to know.
He probably has no clue and has nothing to do with that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #432
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Coloring is like any other artistic skill, simple at the core but very difficult to become good at. Ringo Starr and Leonardo Da Vinci are both able to craft images, one is just clearly better than the other.
Mona Lisa wasn't colored, bro, it was PAINTED. Huge difference.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #433
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Mona Lisa wasn't colored, bro, it was PAINTED. Huge difference.
It's just an example of artistic skill level. I contrasted Da Vinci's high skill level to Ringo's low skill level.

Maybe I would make my point clearer if I posted comic book coloring instead.

Here's professional Alejandro Sanchez:
Spoiler:

Here's the relative amateur Humon:
Spoiler:

And here's complete amateur Chris Chandler:
Spoiler:

I think these examples speak for themselves.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #434
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It's just an example of artistic skill level. I contrasted Da Vinci's high skill level to Ringo's low skill level.

Maybe I would make my point clearer if I posted comic book coloring instead.
Spoiler:

Here's professional Alejandro Sanchez:

Here's the relative amateur Humon:

And here's complete amateur Chris Chandler:

I think these examples speak for themselves.
I completely disagree.

The differing quality of the ART is self-evident, but comparing the first example to the second isn't really fair. An overuse of colors on the webcomic would be too much.

Now, if you had examples of a professional colorist's page from a DC or Marvel book, compared to an amateur colorist's page from the same DC or Marvel book...

THEN I think we'd be seeing eye to eye. But I'm still unconvinced, because your examples just aren't working for me.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #435
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I completely disagree.

The differing quality of the ART is self-evident, but comparing the first example to the second isn't really fair. An overuse of colors on the webcomic would be too much.

Now, if you had examples of a professional colorist's page from a DC or Marvel book, compared to an amateur colorist's page from the same DC or Marvel book...

THEN I think we'd be seeing eye to eye. But I'm still unconvinced, because your examples just aren't working for me.
That's quite the difficult criteria to find examples of. I might be able to find different colorings for the same indy book or manga though.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #436
Powder
So tired of this place

I'd have been happy to color Mirage...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #437
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
That's quite the difficult criteria to find examples of. I might be able to find different colorings for the same indy book or manga though.
That'd work. Just something where the art style, the pencils and inks, are identical (or close enough).
Old 07-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #438
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
I think Bobby's said several times that he has nothing to do with the reprints. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
And here's complete nutcase Chris Chandler:
Fixed.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #439
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I think Bobby's said several times that he has nothing to do with the reprints. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah but it's the best shot at geting an answer.

As for Chris Chan, I don't know what to make of it. I don't know if I should feel sorry for, be disgusted or laugh at this trainwreck of a human being. "Amateur" was about as netural of a description I could come up with. "Delusional hack" might also work.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #440
CyberCubed
Overlord

Just finished the colored issue, I remember in the letters section of the original so many readers were actually scared the writers were going to kill off Donatello. Like legitimately, even though Don is part of the main 4 TMNT. Keep in mind this was 1997 when there was very little internet and most TMNT fans were becoming teenagers hot off the heels of the original fad dying down a few years before.

Also interesting to see Raph make a joke about Pimiko possibly being a lesbian, it worked well in 1997 but it still sort of fits now, especially with her all-female minions and Pimiko saying, "I choose my own partners" now that the word "partner" has a new meaning than what it did 20 years ago.

As a kid I remember wondering if that shark creature was Armaggon. But no he is some guy named Mako, apparently from the Image universe.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira, cyborg donatello, image, image tmnt, shredder raphael, urban legends