The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What should the next movie be?
a continuation of the Original trilogy/ tmnt 2007 7 15.22%
A completely new reboot not connected to anything before it. 39 84.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #81
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I'd most want a continuation after the first 3 films. Definitely set in New York. Tone and style more like the original film.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #82
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
First, there are always people who say these things. "They've milked this. They've milked that."
Also, some people feel the need to bash everything that's commercial, just because rich businessmen make money on it. They hated ABBA and Roxette and they hate Hollywood, Disneyland and whatever. But who judges what's commercial or not? Themselves, of course.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #83
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
First, there are always people who say these things. "They've milked this. They've milked that." It's hardly an original argument and it has been around for a long time.
Yeah but there have been great examples of saturation and milking franchises. Anything from Star Trek to Star Wars to horror sequels has been milked to death. Personally I find people just want creativity, something new.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #84
Coola Yagami
Overlord

You forget the sequels have to take place in the 90s so no. Though I'd be curious about them using the scepter to go into 2018 or whatever modern would be upon release to stop Baxter or whoever. I'm curious how the 90s tmnt would react to modern day.

Reminds me of the Nick crossover when Shredder and Krang didn't know what Nick Bebop and Rocksteady meant when they asked for the Techmodrome's wifi password.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #85
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Personally I find people just want creativity, something new.
What people want are good movies. People have a tendency to conveniently bypass the fact that a movie is a sequel, remake, adaptation, or part of a fad if it's something they like.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #86
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
You forget the sequels have to take place in the 90s so no.
Why can't it do that?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #87
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Why I think they should do (and they never will), Is a movie series set in the 80's/90's where the TMNT's origin is told in a flashback in the beginning, with narration of Splinter telling the origin, accompanied by showing six Japanese woodcuts: the first is the turtles fighting shredder on a rooftop from the original film, a second with them duking it out with tokka and rahzar in a nightclub, the third with them in Samurai armor holding the time scepter, the fourth shows them fighting Yatol's stone generals in front of a giant portal, the fifth depict the turtles battling chrome dome/robo-shredder on a big truck sliding down a snowy mountain, and a sixth woodcut with the team fighting krang, bebop and rocksteady in the middle of the assembling technodrome. A way of saying. 'Hey, a greatly different version of this stuff happened in our universe, but a lot of it didn't happen the same way, and didn't suck. So instead of insulting your intelligence and retelling the same story you've seen and heard in other media a dozen times over the past thirty years, we're acknowledging the past, and moving ahead with our own story.' In other words, a movie that loosely acknowledges the events of all six films, not ignoring the fact of the reboot and how terrible it could get, and move ahead with something new.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 10-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #88
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Why I think they should do (and they never will), Is a movie series set in the 80's/90's where the TMNT's origin is told in a flashback in the beginning, with narration of Splinter telling the origin, accompanied by showing six Japanese woodcuts: the first is the turtles fighting shredder on a rooftop from the original film, a second with them duking it out with tokka and rahzar in a nightclub, the third with them fighting Yatol's stone generals in front of a giant portal, the fifth depict the turtles battling chrome dome/robo-shredder on a big truck sliding down a snowy mountain, and a sixth woodcut with the team fighting krang, bebop and rocksteady in the middle of the assembling technodrome. A way of say. 'Hey, a greatly different version of this stuff happened in our universe, but a lot of it didn't happen the same way, and didn't suck. So instead of insulting your intelligence and retelling the same story you've seen and heard in other media a dozen times over the past thirty years, we're acknowledging the past, and moving ahead with our own story.' In other words, a movie that loosely acknowledges the events of all six films, not ignoring the fact of the reboot and how terrible it could get, and move ahead with something new.
That's quite bold indeed, although not too far fetched. They might acknowledge the first films MAYBE but the Bay turtles I doubt it.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #89
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
That's quite bold indeed, although not too far fetched. They might acknowledge the first films MAYBE but the Bay turtles I doubt it.
You're probably right, it would be too much to hope for. But I don't see it as 'oh, all these movies happened in the same universe'- since the bay films were a reboot, that is impossible. What the intent more is is that 'yeah, the turtles fought Chrome Dome, and stopped Shredder and his evil businessman ally from poisoning the city', or 'we stopped shredder, krang, rocksteady, and bebop from bringing the technodrome through to earth'. It's more an in-universe acknowledgement of the franchise's history, the good and the bad. And an indication that the new continuity of turtles we are following have ther own history of great battles. A history that viewers of the six films would be familiar with, even if it's not exactly the same.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #90
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Why can't it do that?
Cause most people want movies taking place in modern day. A true sequel to the 3 movies couldn't work in modern day because the turtles would be in their 40s by now.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #91
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
You're probably right, it would be too much to hope for. But I don't see it as 'oh, all these movies happened in the same universe'- since the bay films were a reboot, that is impossible. What the intent more is is that 'yeah, the turtles fought Chrome Dome, and stopped Shredder and his evil businessman ally from poisoning the city', or 'we stopped shredder, krang, rocksteady, and bebop from bringing the technodrome through to earth'. It's more an in-universe acknowledgement of the franchise's history, the good and the bad. And an indication that the new continuity of turtles we are following have ther own history of great battles. A history that viewers of the six films would be familiar with, even if it's not exactly the same.
That's probably way more doable...but again very ambitious. Maybe if they set it up right it could be done this way and it would set up for different TMNT movies but they way most lay people view the franchise it'd be shooting for a lot, just in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #92
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Cause most people want movies taking place in modern day..
Why is that so important.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #93
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Why is that so important.
Wish I knew. I for one would love more movies that take place in the past. Focuses on cooler culture & helps me escape. + some things, like TMNT, just feel like they belong in the 80's/90's.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #94
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wish I knew. I for one would love more movies that take place in the past. Focuses on cooler culture & helps me escape. + some things, like TMNT, just feel like they belong in the 80's/90's.
I think throwing the TMNT into the 1960's or 70's could really give it a fresh shine while allowing us to reatin everything we love about the franchise. Go back even further, as long as you retain other important elements of the franchise.

That said, I agree that the turtles totally feel at home in the 1980's/1990's. The clothing, music, and general attitude of that era are a part of TMNT.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #95
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

What if we got a period piece TMNT film that actually takes place in 1984?

You wouldn't have to adapt or modernize as much and focus on translating the storytelling of Mirage into something that works as a film. They could even use older film stock or digital effects to create a vintage look similar to those of Kung Fury or Black Dynamite. Like an adult oriented approach similar to Deadpool but with more grounded humor.

Then if they did more movies, a 'City at War" sequel/finale could take place in '92-'93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #96
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
We'll probably get another TMNT movie somewhere between 2021-2025.
Or maybe for the 35th anniversary in 2019? If production starts in early-2018.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #97
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
What if we got a period piece TMNT film that actually takes place in 1984?

You wouldn't have to adapt or modernize as much and focus on translating the storytelling of Mirage into something that works as a film. They could even use older film stock or digital effects to create a vintage look similar to those of Kung Fury or Black Dynamite. Like an adult oriented approach similar to Deadpool but with more grounded humor.

Then if they did more movies, a 'City at War" sequel/finale could take place in '92-'93.
Best approach IMO
Old 10-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #98
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I think throwing the TMNT into the 1960's or 70's could really give it a fresh shine while allowing us to reatin everything we love about the franchise. Go back even further, as long as you retain other important elements of the franchise.

That said, I agree that the turtles totally feel at home in the 1980's/1990's. The clothing, music, and general attitude of that era are a part of TMNT.
Imagine how great Big Louie and his mob would be in a 1920's-1930's setting! Krang would probably be from Mars, and Channel 6 would be a radio station.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #99
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

We should just do a new movie in a few years and give it the sense of urgency that the IDW books have. The more cartoonish you make a TMNT film in live action the more it will suffer.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #100
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
We should just do a new movie in a few years and give it the sense of urgency that the IDW books have. The more cartoonish you make a TMNT film in live action the more it will suffer.
My dream for the franchise is for it to have it's big "Burton Batman break". A return to form and embracement of the root-characters by mass audiences.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote