The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do You Want A New TMNT Film To Be Current Or In The 80's/90's?
Current/Modern 23 38.33%
80's/90's 37 61.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

80s/90s all the waaayyyyyy.

There is just something very special about the 80s setting in turtles which makes it work. Its one of the reason why tmnt (1990) worked so well, it took full advantage of its setting.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #22
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'm down if it's oldie style like Stranger Things.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #23
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Can't it be set during the 1970's or something?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
thebrownranger
Stone Warrior

I’ve always stood by New York in the 80’s/90’s being the definitive time setting of TMNT. No other era has proven to work better for the turtles than this. Steve Barron’s 1990 portrayal continues to solidify this point to this day. In that film we got to see the turtles live and breathe in an era of New York that most people will unfortunately never fully understand/know about anymore. Just thinking about it reminds me of all the old New York hardcore/punk rock and old school hip hop scenes that were so indicative of that age. I miss it a lot because it’s something I grew up on. Watch all those old NYHC/hip hop documentaries; you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s really sad to see all that history/culture swept away due to things like gentrification and systemic political issues. It’s even a lot more sad to see rich out of towners and hipsters moving into NY, gentrifying the whole damn block/culture and moving people who were born and raised there that have called it HOME their whole lives out to other places. It’s hard to think of TMNT in a modern gentrified New York without making me sick to my stomach. It just doesn’t feel genuine. I don’t care much for this forum anymore, but this thread was worth finding and posting to.
Playmates TMNT statues- Donatello, Michelangelo
thebrownranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The reasons to ground the Turtles in the 80s or even 90s aren't compelling enough to do so and would only come at the risk of alienating today's youths. Fun though it might be to see various bits of 80s/90s pop culture stuff for you or I in it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The reasons to ground the Turtles in the 80s or even 90s aren't compelling enough to do so and would only come at the risk of alienating today's youths. Fun though it might be to see various bits of 80s/90s pop culture stuff for you or I in it.
I'd say **** em. We need at least one more movie that's for the fans, a product of love for the characters like the 90's movies. Maybe some new independent company should step up, if they read the comics as kids or whatever. I don't trust any of these big Hollywood corporate companies anymore for something like this.

I'd so love to see a movie made for US, that would somehow surprise the public at large and end up being the sleeper hit of that year.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'd say **** em. We need at least one more movie that's for the fans, a product of love for the characters like the 90's movies.
But there is nothing intrinsically 80s or 90s about the TMNT, even in Mirage. What is the benefit of making a new movie in either era vs. now? Do we just really not want to see April whip out a cell phone? Or the Turtles having a tube TV in the lair instead of an LED screen? What's the real benefit, beyond "I'm a super old fan and those are the years most important to me"? If anything, the Turtles and Splinter having internet access helps address things that otherwise didn't make sense before. I mean, they're just a few YouTube videos away from learning how to forge their own weapons... but before? Ehh....
Old 12-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #28
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Totally unnecessary. If anything, the themes and characters become more relevant, and the conflict deepens as society advances. Taking them back to the 80s serves no purpose other than to pander to fans.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #29
NYShell
Stone Warrior

I've always thought about this. I feel TMNT has a strong connection to the 80's/90's era, and not just in a nostalgic sense. A modern setting doesn't necessarily mean that it will have a better connection or be more relatable to the current audience.

** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #30
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I love the original cartoon episodes where the Turtles take a trip to the video store to rent a VHS tape. They sure don't have those anymore. Blockbuster is long gone. "
It happened a lot during season 4.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #31
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
But there is nothing intrinsically 80s or 90s about the TMNT, even in Mirage. What is the benefit of making a new movie in either era vs. now? Do we just really not want to see April whip out a cell phone? Or the Turtles having a tube TV in the lair instead of an LED screen? What's the real benefit, beyond "I'm a super old fan and those are the years most important to me"? If anything, the Turtles and Splinter having internet access helps address things that otherwise didn't make sense before. I mean, they're just a few YouTube videos away from learning how to forge their own weapons... but before? Ehh....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
Totally unnecessary. If anything, the themes and characters become more relevant, and the conflict deepens as society advances. Taking them back to the 80s serves no purpose other than to pander to fans.
Agree with all of this. Why relegate the TMNT to being stuck in the 80s? Is Batman stuck in the 40s? Is Spider-Man stuck in the 60s? No

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYShell View Post
I've always thought about this. I feel TMNT has a strong connection to the 80's/90's era, and not just in a nostalgic sense. A modern setting doesn't necessarily mean that it will have a better connection or be more relatable to the current audience.
What about the TMNT is inherently late 80s/early 90s? I don't see anything holding them to that era
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
What about the TMNT is inherently late 80s/early 90s? I don't see anything holding them to that era
Nothing. Zero. Just fanboys and fangirls anchoring it to those eras mentally because it reminds them of their childhoods so why wouldn't the TMNT be stuck in those eras.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #33
sdp
-

The more technology the more difficult it is to believe a vigilante can operate. Granted I don't think that's a huge problem with TMNT but it does affect some heroes like Batman.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The more technology the more difficult it is to believe a vigilante can operate.
They're not vigilantes.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #35
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I came here to post about how much I'd love a period piece, but you make some great points about current technology and how it can smooth over a lot of plot holes. I love the idea of the turtles using youtube to learn and acclimate themselves.

I think what attracts me to a period piece is the general aesthetic, the culture and for me, an added element of escapism. Sometimes it's just nice to leave the modern world for a bit, and sometimes you just like the idea of seeing turtles sneak around a 1980's New York City. Since movies are a visual medium, I don't see much else reason needed.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #36
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
They're not vigilantes.
How are they not vigilantes
Old 12-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
How are they not vigilantes
They don't fight crime. They're not, like, walking around patrolling for burglars to protect mankind. Any why would they?

Casey, there's a vigilante.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #38
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
They don't fight crime. They're not, like, walking around patrolling for burglars to protect mankind. Any why would they?

Casey, there's a vigilante.
Well to be fair in most incarnations they more or less take the law into their own hands.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Well to be fair in most incarnations they more or less take the law into their own hands.
In the kids stuff they fight a lot of crime, sure. For no reason.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
In the kids stuff they fight a lot of crime, sure. For no reason.
I remember in some eps where they thought shredder was gone for good, splinter was nagging them for staying home and not going out to fight regular crime.

I didn't consider the 80s turtles vigilantes so much as just going out to stop Shredder as their main enemy. But then you have episodes like the ones I just mentioned....

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote