The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #241
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
True. It's always struck me as weird that people still bang their pitchforks, "DAMN George Lucas for never releasing the original, unedited original trilogy!!!" Uh, he did. After he said he wouldn't, even. It's like even he did what everyone wanted and nobody wanted to or was able to even acknowledge it. Sure, it's the laserdisc version repurposed. But so what? It's out there, on DVD, and it looks way better than the "Final" version that saw VHS release. You can go and track it down and watch the lame Death Star explosion and TIE Fighters whooshing around with big green boxes around them to your heart's content.
What ticks people off is that there was no reason to use a Laserdisc transfer for those DVDs. Prints of the original film still exist; it would have been easy to locate and digitize them. But because Lucas prefers his CGI ronto humor, he didn't expend any effort to give the original versions and sort of attention. They were low-quality releases. They could and should have looked better, and there are people today who have, on their own, gone and started the process the right way (look up '4k77').
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #242
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I think Luke realizes that a Jedi Order is only going to end up teaching and ultimately turning away powerful Dark side Force users. So his mission will be to train Rey to help him take down Snoke and Kylo and be done with it.

I don't see him surviving episode IX. And I'm betting the eventual episode X will be a about Rey starting a new Order, despite Luke's wishes.
Oh, absolutely; there's no way Luke survives this trilogy.

And seeing how the Empire got renamed but is still basically the Empire, and the Rebel Alliance got renamed but is still basically the Empire, the Jedi will probably also be renamed but still be basically Jedi.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #243
CyberCubed
Overlord

Looks pretty good, and hopefully this movie answers some questions/plotholes and fleshes out characters better from Episode 7, essentially fixing some problems with the previous movie. Really hoping Kylo Ren gets fully fleshed out, the underdeveloped villains in Episode 7 was a major flaw. And of course answers as to what the hell Luke was doing all this time.

Of course I pretty much hate Snoke as the new "Emperor" type character. Literally looks like a character they should have saved for the cartoons/comics, but looks way too cheesy in a live action movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #244
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Looks pretty good, and hopefully this movie answers some questions/plotholes and fleshes out characters better from Episode 7, essentially fixing some problems with the previous movie. Really hoping Kylo Ren gets fully fleshed out, the underdeveloped villains in Episode 7 was a major flaw. And of course answers as to what the hell Luke was doing all this time.

Of course I pretty much hate Snoke as the new "Emperor" type character. Literally looks like a character they should have saved for the cartoons/comics, but looks way too cheesy in a live action movie.

How should he look then,in your opinion?

What is that apparently broken thing at the 0:58 second mark?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #245
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I must get a copy of that poster. I really think Rian created something special - I just hope the end product is what he wanted it to be.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #246
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Oh, absolutely; there's no way Luke survives this trilogy.

And seeing how the Empire got renamed but is still basically the Empire, and the Rebel Alliance got renamed but is still basically the Empire, the Jedi will probably also be renamed but still be basically Jedi.

You are seriously making me wonder what the point to anything is in Star Wars! Jedi stop Sith. Chosen One clears the yin/yang and reignites a new thought light side. End of story. Now, nothing is solved and the poinr is lost.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #248
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Looks s*it.
Agreed, it looks pretty bad.
Also, what's with these trailers starting out with dumb, surprise gasping-for-breath scenes?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #249
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Also, what's with these trailers starting out with dumb, surprise gasping-for-breath scenes?
The whole trailer is practically beat-for-beat the same as the last one.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #250
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
More apparent to me was all those cuts to black. It's been a horrible trend in trailers for the past few years.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #251
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Luke will train Rey." "There will be a big space battle." With more TIE-Fighters. And X-Wings. And Walkers this time, again.

That's all we learned, and we kind of figured both of these things. This teaser trailer is worthless.

Seems like I called it about Luke and Rey creating a new non-Jedi group of good Force users.

Quote:
Jedi can be plural, so it could be that the Jedi order is coming to an end?
The Jedi Order has been dead since Episode III. Luke is just a straggler, trained by its remnants after it breathed its last gasp. Rey isn't even a Jedi yet, if ever.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #252
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I wonder if Carrie Fisher's gonna have any scene in Ep. 9?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #253
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #254
Allio
Foot Elite

Unless you take the supposed leaks to heart
Allio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #255
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Rian Johnson has revealed the name of the new planet that is featured in the teaser, a planet called Crait, it's a mineral planet, and it plays a key role in the movie.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/14/star...t-jedi-planet/

Quote:
Red. Blood red.

It’s the color scheme of the Last Jedi title. It dominates the sky in the teaser poster. In Star Wars lore, it’s traditionally a sign of evil. Darth Vader’s eyes had a faint red tinge, and his scarlet saber igniting in darkness could strike fear in the hearts of Rebel soldiers — just before striking them dead. (Kylo Ren’s crossguard lightsaber is red too, in honor of his grandfather.)

Rian Johnson, writer and director of the new film, employs this part of the spectrum for a specific reason, and we saw it prominently in the trailer, as speeders lined up in formation to fly along the surface of a new world, dragging stabilizers that rip up the scorched surface into blood-colored plumes of ash.

EW has exclusively learned the name of this world is Crait.

“It’s way out there. It’s very remote. It’s uncharted,” says Johnson. “It’s a mineral planet and so there are mines on it.” The director (previously best known for Brick and Looper) noted how there are some “beautiful design elements and I hope some really unique ones that we’re able to bring into it.”

The shot of these small ships darting toward gigantic walkers mimics the snowy Hoth battle sequence from The Empire Strikes Back, but this white crust is salt. “The white dusting of salt over this red, ruby-ish mineral base,” he says.

According to Johnson, Crait is the site of an “an old rebel base there that’s now abandoned” and the planet was one of the first things he had in mind when planning The Last Jedi.

“It ends up playing a key role in the movie,” he says, adding that the Resistance fighters — flying in the skimmers seen in the trailer — “show up where they have to deal with a very pressing and immediate threat.”

But what is the significance of the red surface that’s kicked up by the fighters? Red is the symbol of blood in basic human nature — but blood can stand for violence or family. Maybe both, in some cases.

Johnson nods at this. “Go ahead and run with that,” he says.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #256
sdp
-

People seem to really take extremes with this trailer either they love it or hate it.

To me it's a bit "meh", a bit boring and nothing that gets me excited unlike the Rogue One reaser, Ep. VII teasers and first VII trailer which got me excited. I mostly agree with Andrew, we see things we expect from a SWs film and nothing more and the previous two movies that Disney has released don't really fill me with confidence. So I'm rather apathetic rather than hating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
What ticks people off is that there was no reason to use a Laserdisc transfer for those DVDs. Prints of the original film still exist; it would have been easy to locate and digitize them. But because Lucas prefers his CGI ronto humor, he didn't expend any effort to give the original versions and sort of attention. They were low-quality releases. They could and should have looked better, and there are people today who have, on their own, gone and started the process the right way (look up '4k77').
It costs time and money, I understand being annoyed but not the "LUCAS HATES US" attitude.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #257
snake
Disgusting

Confirmed a couple leaks, but yeah. Nothing to get me too excited. I'm not a mouthbreather fan that ejaculates and claps at the same time from seeing something they've seen in a previous film.

(Except if it's Mustafar, because I was THIS close to yelling "HOLY SH*T" when it popped up in Rogue One.)
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #258
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm stoked. I mean, not as much as I am for Thor, but I'm looking forward to this too. The hard part is going to be not getting spoiled between now and December.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #259
sdp
-

For me it's not that hard to stay spoiler free, even for TFA I didn't really see any big spoilers after I had seen it out in the open. The few times I do get spoiled something is because I clicked somewhere and I thought the spoiler wouldn't be big or that I would be able to avoid it but those are mostly my own fault.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 AM   #260
CyberCubed
Overlord

Han Solo's death in Episode 7 was an obvious huge spoiler that was flying around the internet and all sorts of forums/social media sites leading up to its release and around its first week. It was nearly impossible to avoid.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw