The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Would you have liked it better if Capril happened in this show?

Personally, I don't mind the direction this show has gone regarding the love triangle (keep the shipping stuff for laughs, with April kissing Donnie every now and then) but I think it would've been interesting if they took this direction:

1. After the season 2 finale, the turtles, April and Casey are all living in the farmhouse. April is particularly devasted by the loss of her father so she seeks comfort in another person and male figure in her life, Casey, as she wants to take a break from always being surrounded by Mutants/aliens. Donnie takes a notice of this and initially tries to compete and catch Aprils attention, but realizes he is not meant for her when she decides to enter into a relationship with Casey. Donnie is heartbroken and initially in denial, but goes through the process of learning to let go while Casey learns the responsibilities of being in a relationship with April, becoming wiser and more caring with time and developing into a young man through the course of the series.

How would you liked if this idea happened in the show instead? I think it would've provided some great character development for both Donnie and Casey, Casey especially since I feel he's kinda downplayed recently.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Who cares about Don? This is the love triangle I wanted to see.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
ToTheNines
[sic]

They fornicated some time between Return to New York and Battle for New York.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Meh, I'm so bored of April and Casey... Given that they're so young, I'd rather it DIDN'T happen now and it is just assumed (but not by the characters) that they end up together later as adults, as usual.

As teens they can just drive each other crazy until they grow up and realize they've both become someone the other is attracted to.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:45 AM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

It kind of did happen though, it's just rather subtle compared to how the movies, 4Kids and IDW handled it. "Capril" got kind of muddied this time given how the first season introduced the "Apritello" running gag (that's more or less what it is, a gag) before Casey was introduced and then perpetuated it.
With Casey and April you get some genuine moments like "I hope you'll find your missing head" instead weird ones like a pity kiss that may or may not have been the product of the Dream Beavers.

For the case of tradition...
Considering how April gets paired up with Casey in Mirage, TMNT 1990, Image, 4Kids, IDW and (I think, kind of of?) OotS, I don't think they'll break that tradition. Not when "April and one/all of the turtles" have never been anything other than a joke.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 03-31-2017 at 02:53 AM.
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
It kind of did happen though, it's just rather subtle compared to how the movies, 4Kids and IDW handled it. "Capril" got kind of muddied this time given how the first season introduced the "Apritello" running gag (that's more or less what it is, a gag) before Casey was introduced and then perpetuated it.
With Casey and April you get some genuine moments like "I hope you'll find your missing head" instead weird ones like a pity kiss that may or may not have been the product of the Dream Beavers.

For the case of tradition...
Considering how April gets paired up with Casey in Mirage, TMNT 1990, Image, 4Kids, IDW and (I think, kind of of?) OotS, I don't think they'll break that tradition. Not when "April and one/all of the turtles" have never been anything other than a joke.
I kind of agree, I don't remember many moments between April and Casey, especially in the later seasons, but the ones I remember felt more genuine than AprilXDonnie which always felt like a gag.

Sure, capril had goofy moments (Casey checking himself out when he was in Aprils body) but it took time to slow down when it needed to. I just wish that they would've expanded on it however, which would've been great character development for Donnie, Casey and April.

Instead, I feel that Casey has been downplayed and April feels a bit mary-sueish now with her psychic powers. I would've been alot more interested if her telepathy was kept on a minimum and she was still mostly a normal kunoich who learned the responsibilities of being in a relationship with Casey. Its more fascinating and tmnt tradition.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I never took Don O'Neil as a joke. I mean Donnie has been raised his whole life underground around boys. They even specify that April is literally the only girl Donnie has actually seen ever in the first episode.

The closest thing the Turtles would have seen to an actual female is whatever is on TV. So Don's attempts at wooing April were purely as a boy with his first crush. Yes the moments where he's trying to impress her he does come off as trying to hard to get attention which can make him seem like a creep. But it's often the moments where he's there for her...as her friend...as himself that his love for her really shines.

April does consider Donnie to be her best friend, and often she hugs and kisses him in appreciation. The only time she kissed him on the lips was when he was coming up to her and pretty much telling her "I give up and will not be pursuing you anymore. You don't have feelings for me in the same way I have feelings for you. Because I'm just a mutant."

April's reaction felt less like pity, but more like "You're important to me, but I am not ready yet. Just give me more time."

And it's that history that April has with Donnie that helps April during the whole Za-Naron incident.

Auman has confirmed for me via Facebook that yes the Capritello is meant to be seen as a mirror of the Oroku-Shen-Hamato triangle. Just minus the blood shed. So there may be more coming up which is why it has been downplayed.

The whole April conversation between April and Casey in Deadly Venom felt like a litmus test between the two boys. April was saying some serious stuff about how she feels everything with the Kraang just felt it got over too easily. And Casey was too busy prattling on about the movie they just saw to pay any real attention which is why April was saying that her head went missing. If Donnie had been with her he would have had his full attention on it and maybe tried to reassure her the Kraang were gone but would keep an eye out just in case.

What would be awesome in this upcoming season is there being a sister to sister talk between Karai and April about April's perspective suitors. After all the turtles are her adoptive brothers and what concerns them also concerns her. And I can see Karai saying "Choose or don't choose it's up to you O'Neil. But both Donatello and Casey deserve an honest answer from you... Otherwise, one day they could be taken from you, and it will be too late to tell them how you feel. When that happens all you truly have left is...regret"
Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I would've preferred it if the show didn't try so hard with the romances. They clearly didn't know how to do 'em properly, and now it's probably too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Ok, anybody else finding that gender-swapped Casey to be really disgusting? She looks really trashy and it's just gross.

(Also, am I crazy or does that outfit no make any sense? She's wearing that bra top thing over the sweater, that for some reason has a huge hole in it where her boobs are. If she wasn't wearing the bra-thing over the sweater, would her boobs just be hanging out? Who dresses like that?! So weird )
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #9
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I would've preferred it if the show didn't try so hard with the romances. They clearly didn't know how to do 'em properly, and now it's probably too late.
As long as it's not 50 Shades of Gray or Twilight, I'm cool.

I don't mind the romance as it takes a back seat to the main plot since it's not really important. I like how it's downplayed and may have references every once in a while. That aside, what would the right way have been? It's very subjective.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
I never took Don O'Neil as a joke. I mean Donnie has been raised his whole life underground around boys. They even specify that April is literally the only girl Donnie has actually seen ever in the first episode.

The closest thing the Turtles would have seen to an actual female is whatever is on TV. So Don's attempts at wooing April were purely as a boy with his first crush. Yes the moments where he's trying to impress her he does come off as trying to hard to get attention which can make him seem like a creep. But it's often the moments where he's there for her...as her friend...as himself that his love for her really shines.

April does consider Donnie to be her best friend, and often she hugs and kisses him in appreciation. The only time she kissed him on the lips was when he was coming up to her and pretty much telling her "I give up and will not be pursuing you anymore. You don't have feelings for me in the same way I have feelings for you. Because I'm just a mutant."

April's reaction felt less like pity, but more like "You're important to me, but I am not ready yet. Just give me more time."

And it's that history that April has with Donnie that helps April during the whole Za-Naron incident.

Auman has confirmed for me via Facebook that yes the Capritello is meant to be seen as a mirror of the Oroku-Shen-Hamato triangle. Just minus the blood shed. So there may be more coming up which is why it has been downplayed.

The whole April conversation between April and Casey in Deadly Venom felt like a litmus test between the two boys. April was saying some serious stuff about how she feels everything with the Kraang just felt it got over too easily. And Casey was too busy prattling on about the movie they just saw to pay any real attention which is why April was saying that her head went missing. If Donnie had been with her he would have had his full attention on it and maybe tried to reassure her the Kraang were gone but would keep an eye out just in case.

What would be awesome in this upcoming season is there being a sister to sister talk between Karai and April about April's perspective suitors. After all the turtles are her adoptive brothers and what concerns them also concerns her. And I can see Karai saying "Choose or don't choose it's up to you O'Neil. But both Donatello and Casey deserve an honest answer from you... Otherwise, one day they could be taken from you, and it will be too late to tell them how you feel. When that happens all you truly have left is...regret"
It's a joke, it's almost exclusively played for laughs and that one moment is even up for dabate wheter or not it even happened. If it's not a joke then the writers just have some really weird ideas.

I mean look, yes, she does obviously care for him but not that way. It's been four seasons and she ignores his obvious advances, she's not interested. At most it just leads to awkward situation she tries to slink out of.

And if you look at older TMNT material, well, you'll realise that "Apritello" is rooted in "horny teenager" jokes...
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 04-01-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:53 AM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think It would've been better if Donnie and April settled it like friends at the end of "A foot too big" and we got to see Donnie start anew by having moved on from April, but caring for her as a friend. But I guess you just gotta feed them tumblr shippers cuz APRIL KISSED DONNIE ON THE LIPS OMG SO CUTE XOXO.

In all seriousness though, I have nothing against Apriltello even though I prefer Capril overall. I'm fine with it as long as its just cute fun that's played for laughs. However, I don't wanna see a a teenage girl and a mutant turtle in a serious relationship. I think Capril done seriously in this show would've been great, but eh.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-01-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

I do love Capril in the other incarnations,but even if the crew would have never carried the idea of Donnie having a crush on April in the first place, there is still the fact that, in my opinion, nowadays the relationship of Casey and April in this incarnation is not good enough to end as a romance like the other incarnations. It may be because during all the four seasons the writers have prefered to develop more the relationship of Donnie-April instead of Casey-April (and because Casey flirting with not just April, but with Karai too, makes me doubt about his "love" for April). Season 5 has not finished yet so maybe we can see more of Casey and April and maybe I can change my opinion about it, but nowadays my bet is on Apritello in this incarnation.

Quote:
It's been four seasons and she ignores his obvious advances, she's not interested. At most it just leads to awkward situation she tries to slink out of.
Do you know that this part at least (I say at least because the kiss part was just a joke between animators) will happen in season 5, right?

I don't know, but If she would not be really interested on him, she would never do this. It doesn't seem she's trying to slink out the situation; quite the opposite. The same with A Foot too Big when Donnie was giving up. If she would not have feelings for him, she would have said "thanks for understand it Donnie" or something like that; but instead she said "not Donnie; you're my mutant" and then she kissed him. The only reason I think she did that is because she's really interested on him.

I'm just saying that if Capril happens in this incarnation, I would feel it very forced (unless they show us more development in this last season)

Last edited by Redworld96; 04-01-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
Do you know that this part at least (I say at least because the kiss part is just a joke between animators) will happen, right?
https://i.imgur.com/WgpXB1Q.png

I don't know, but If she would not be really interested on him, she would never do this. It doesn't seem she's trying to slink out of;quite the opposite. The same with A Foot too Big when Donnie was giving up. If she would not have feelings for him, she would have said "thanks for understand it Donnie" or something like that; but instead she said "not Donnie; you're my mutant" and then she kissed him. The only reason I think she did that is because she's really interested on him.
What the hell is that? Looks like music video, are you sure it's going to be a part of the actual show and not just some side project?

Anyway, like I said before, it's possible that kiss scene didn't even happen. So who really knows?
Hahahaha!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

Quote:
What the hell is that? Looks like music video, are you sure it's going to be a part of the actual show and not just some side project?

Anyway, like I said before, it's possible that kiss scene didn't even happen. So who really knows?
It's part of the Ice Cream Kitty music video. At first I thought the music video would be something apart of season 5 (like a videoclip uploaded by Nickelodeon in the future, or something like that), but I asked Greg Cipes about it and he said it is part of an upcoming episode:

The part when April jumps to Donnie to kiss him was the joke part (that is to say, it is not canon); but before the kiss, when she is grabbing Donnie's arm (or tie), is indeed part of the storyboard. And Ciro said on instagram that the original version has a kiss as well (but probably the real kiss will be off-screen).

Last edited by Redworld96; 04-01-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #15
Chris
Mad Scientist

Much as I love April/Casey in Mirage/2k3/early movies I never really took to the Nick version of Casey so I'm perfectly fine without that relationship in the show. Plus the April/Don relationship never bothered me or seemed wrong as it did to some people (I grew up with Goliath and Elisa) so I just took it as an interesting change of pace for this version of the franchise. The writers have definitely invested more in the April/Don relationship so I'd rather see them develop that fully rather than do a 180 with Casey in the final season.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:21 AM   #16
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Yes, yes I really would have preferred this instead of all those episodes and season focused on the love triangle. Plus I got used to the pairing the entire 4kids series, I thought they were cute together after a while.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:36 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's hard to believe people take shipping seriously in something like TMNT. This franchise was never known for ships, April/Casey just happened and the Turtles crushes in other shows were never anything more than one-offs or jokes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #18
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's hard to believe people take shipping seriously in something like TMNT. This franchise was never known for ships, April/Casey just happened and the Turtles crushes in other shows were never anything more than one-offs or jokes.
This is fandom we're talking about.

Cartoons like The Annoying Orange had shippers back in the day, too.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Eh, I liked the April/Don thing cause it's something different and well... Casey wasn't introduced til season 2... and he turned out to be such a tool that it's almost insulting to April that she's forced to be interested in him because previous incarnations have done so. Casey isn't perfect by any means but he did seem more like a well meaning loveable nut in other versions that kinda made more sense for April to fall for than this waste of oxygen.

April had her chance to end it when Don tried to, she chose to keep it going. She's interested in some way.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Dude, you're not exactly one to talk. You made a perverted Pokemon fanfic where you paired together two characters as a couple. How does that happening with the TMNT surprise you?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote