The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 06-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #121
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Just finished. Played as Leo, then Slash, then Mona. Pretty great so far. Kinda sad there aren't so many Slash audio clips. But other wise plays awesome.
"Binky!" can only be expressed so many ways...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #122
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
No need to install anything, just unzip the file and run OpenBOR.exe

That is a very good question and something I have been thinking about since I started working on the rescuing/unlocking aspect of the game. There's good things and bad thing about showing the the characters to be rescued earlier during a boss fight, the bad things being that it might get old fast, and that it can ruin the surprise of having a "fake" stage boss (that ends up being actually a mini boss)

Thank you as always, oldman. It's funny that you mention that, in the other forums I got the comment that the stage is tough with jumpkick characters as it's easy to be knocked out by the balloons.
I would like to add another type of enemy to that stage, to add a bit of variety to the cyclopses and balloons. Maybe those birdlike enemis that take a dive when they're close to the player.

Regarding some stages being easier to beat with some characters than with others, that is kind of the intention. If players like the game enough to play it a second time, they'll have enough knowledge to pick characters that are better suited for each stage.

Which is to say that every character has strengths and weaknesses, but I would like to make an exception with Vernon. I would like to add him too, but as a completely unbalanced character, a total joke. Low stamina, low reach, short jumps, all bad. You'd only pick him if you're a masochist OR an expert looking for a challenge.

By the way, Tokka and Rahzar were originally going to be the bosses of the Channel Six building. Now that slot is free. Who should be the bosses(es) there? Most other bosses are already planned for other stages but I could shuffle things around.
How about Burne in the mech used by human Baxter?
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #123
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

That's cool, Mona Lisa is a playable character now.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #124
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Btw, will the final game have different endings for all the characters? Or will it be the same ending for all of them?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #125
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

OK, it's driving me crazy. Is Mona Lisa drawn over top someone like how April is a Belmont? It totally works, but I can't place where I've seen those moves and it's driving me nuts!

Looks great as always.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #126
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Sorry I haven't posted anything new in forever, I have been very busy with real life and the Power Rangers game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Just finished. Played as Leo, then Slash, then Mona. Pretty great so far. Kinda sad there aren't so many Slash audio clips. But other wise plays awesome.
Thank you for giving it a try, Jester. I want to give sound clips to Slash but I haven't found a suitable voice yet. The one from the show doesn't fit him, I feel that toy/videogame/comic Slash is a completely different character from the one on the show. That being said, I would like to add the show version of Slash to the game. He will use the same sprites but with a different head, and will sound like the one in the cartoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Btw, will the final game have different endings for all the characters? Or will it be the same ending for all of them?
Same ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
OK, it's driving me crazy. Is Mona Lisa drawn over top someone like how April is a Belmont? It totally works, but I can't place where I've seen those moves and it's driving me nuts!

Looks great as always.
Thanks. Mona Lisa is not based on a character from a previous videogame. I used the cartoon as a guide to create her sprites.

April moves like a Belmont but her attack sprites are based off Blaze from Streets of Rage. Her walking animations, etc are based on the show like with Mona Lisa and Usagi.

Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #127
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

That is very interesting! I dunno, something about her "arms up" jump and her special move kick look so very retrogame-familiar. Maybe I'm thinking of Krang's kick move, hmm. The "hold weapon forward and it spins" bit, also.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #128
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I really like your screenshot-sprite comparisons, as I knew you were mirroring the show's art with characters like April, Mona, Irma, and Usagi. I'd love to see more of those side-by-sides!

For the April stunned sprites, I'm reminded of a couple of scenes from the episodes "The Mean Machines" and "Turtles on Trial."

View my sketch work!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #129
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I really like your screenshot-sprite comparisons, as I knew you were mirroring the show's art with characters like April, Mona, Irma, and Usagi. I'd love to see more of those side-by-sides!
Thanks! I'll gladly make comparisons for the other characters as well.

Yesterday I recolored the first level of TMNT2. Here's how April's apartment looks like now. I took some inspiration from the cartoon:

Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #130
Powder
So tired of this place

Gorgeous work, Nelson!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #131
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I wonder if the final game will have online coop, it would be nice to play this online.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #132
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Thanks! I'll gladly make comparisons for the other characters as well.

Yesterday I recolored the first level of TMNT2. Here's how April's apartment looks like now. I took some inspiration from the cartoon:
Oh, so nice! Lovely update of the classic level. The bizarre cat paintings add a lot of TV show authenticity to the decor!

That would be an appropriate level to start out in. Will Rocksteady still be the traditional first boss?

View my sketch work!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:56 PM   #133
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wonder if the final game will have online coop, it would be nice to play this online.
I whish. The engine I'm using (OpenBOR) doesn't have that feature and I'm not qualified at all to add it.

Quote:
Oh, so nice! Lovely update of the classic level. The bizarre cat paintings add a lot of TV show authenticity to the decor!

That would be an appropriate level to start out in. Will Rocksteady still be the traditional first boss?
Well remember that you get to choose what will be the first level as you start on the map. But this one kind of feels like the first stage since it's the closest to the Turtles in said map. The bosses here will be Rocksteady and Bebop.

-----

Test of the Roadkill Rodneys:

Old 08-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #134
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Well remember that you get to choose what will be the first level as you start on the map. But this one kind of feels like the first stage since it's the closest to the Turtles in said map.
Makes sense! Will the final level be unlockable after all the others have been beaten, or can all stages be played in any order until final elimination?

Quote:

Test of the Roadkill Rodneys:

Spoiler:
I thought that buggers were so much tougher in the 8-bit games than the 16-bit counterparts. Fast, smaller targets are harder targets to hit!

View my sketch work!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #135
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Will the final level be unlockable after all the others have been beaten... ?
Yes, after all stages are complete, the first of the last batch of levels will appear on the map.

Quote:
I thought that buggers were so much tougher in the 8-bit games than the 16-bit counterparts. Fast, smaller targets are harder targets to hit!
I agree 200%

Here's an updated video of the bastards:

Also I started working on Rocskeady. I was going to recolor his NES sprites, but he looked so different from the cartoon version that I decded to experiment a bit and mix his sprites with his gameboy counterpart, and while it looked better, it was still off. So now I am giving him new sprites like I did with Mona Lisa and Usagi Yojimbo. Here's the W.I.P.:

Old 08-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #136
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Oh, nifty! Personally, I've always preferred Rocksteady's buffer/tougher look of the 1st season, action figures, and video games as opposed to his stouter, rounder belly, and less militant appearance in seasons 2 and following.

Just out of curiosity, will beating April's apartment unlock April as a playable character in the final release? It would be weird for the Foot to be invading the building while she was out to town! And it would be cool to see your take on the "April panic" sprites seen in the background of the original arcade and NES games.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #137
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Oh, nifty! Personally, I've always preferred Rocksteady's buffer/tougher look of the 1st season, action figures, and video games as opposed to his stouter, rounder belly, and less militant appearance in seasons 2 and following.

Just out of curiosity, will beating April's apartment unlock April as a playable character in the final release? It would be weird for the Foot to be invading the building while she was out to town! And it would be cool to see your take on the "April panic" sprites seen in the background of the original arcade and NES games.
I agree with you, the early look of Rocksteady was cooler, but I decided to go with his best-known look for this game.

And yes, April will be unloccked after you complete the building stage in the final release. I put her in the snow stage in the demo because at that time her stage wasn't ready. Same thing with Usagi.

-------

Early look at the highway stage:

Old 08-08-2015, 01:00 AM   #138
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

"Barney Stockman"?
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #139
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
"Barney Stockman"?
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Barney_Stockman

I applaud the obscure reference & clever re-use of an existing sprite!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #140
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
"Barney Stockman"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Barney_Stockman

I applaud the obscure reference & clever re-use of an existing sprite!
Haha, so clever!

Also, greater integration of the Turtle Van into the gameplay is something I always wanted to see in the TMNT beat em' up games. Looks like staying on the roof might be tricky though!

View my sketch work!

Tags
fan game, remix