The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #121
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Just realized this arc only has 5 issues left, I have no idea how they’re going to resolve most of the basic plot in that time. Obviously most character arcs will continue past that, but City at War itself is supposed to conclude with #100.
Makes me think the Shredder might actually come back in #100. Before, I was sure he'd appear at the start of the latter half of this arc, but it appears I'm not as good as predicting things as I thought.

Or alternatively, the crew saw my posts here and completely rewrote the script for the sole purpose of trolling me. That sounds realistic too.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #122
scribblesartist
Random Punk

@allessandraDC. Yes there has been a 5th turtle in the IDW. Slash!! However he extremely different from the four turtles. So it works and doesn’t take away from what the turtles are. Not saying Jennika will be recantation of that awful Venus Character from the Ninja turtles TV show. She could be a completely different and new female turtle. Don’t know.. however the whole idea of turning jennika into a turtle I though was a terrible move. Regardless of what comes next.. it’s highly unlikely I’ll like it at all.
scribblesartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:57 AM   #123
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribblesartist View Post
@allessandraDC. Yes there has been a 5th turtle in the IDW. Slash!! However he extremely different from the four turtles. So it works and doesn’t take away from what the turtles are. Not saying Jennika will be recantation of that awful Venus Character from the Ninja turtles TV show. She could be a completely different and new female turtle. Don’t know.. however the whole idea of turning jennika into a turtle I though was a terrible move. Regardless of what comes next.. it’s highly unlikely I’ll like it at all.
Out of curiosity, why do you dislike the concept so much?
Old 07-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #124
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

As long as the story telling continues to be of high quality, I say let them tell their story. Jennika mutates into a new Ninja turtle....this could be a really cool thing. Basically, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride. Still wish they would do novelizations.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #125
corvus
Stone Warrior

Theres a few things I don't like. Firstly, I may be the only person who likes Jennika, I like her backstory, I like her subtle character development...im not really fussed over her relationship with Casey but its revealed a lot about the character. I feel turning her into a mutant turtle isn't the best direction to take this in.

The second thing, this is the big one, is how the hell have mutants been a thing for this long and no one has discovered that giving people a mutant blood transfusion would immediately mutate them into a nearly identical creature? Karai is gonna be pissed and smack a bunch of her scientists around when she finds out she could have been making dozens of sharks and falcons out of Koya and Bludgeon...and why does Null only have like six mutants? The hells she gotta rob pet stores and make humunculi for? This concept is silly, I know mirage did it with blood sucker in one of their best story archs but mirage, especially at the time, had a very different and silly tone.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #126
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'd think they'd be getting into all those details in time.

Don probably figured it out on the fly and on a hunch.

Also, Null does have a lot more mutants, they're just in a stasis-like state, I think.

It's another tankard of gasoline to the fire that is City at War and the stories beyond it.

It literally just happened; there's a lot of different directions it's going to go. But one thing's for certain - Karai indeed is going to be pissed. And so is Bishop.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #127
scribblesartist
Random Punk

@igglet. Yeah I’m more in the favour of keeping the four turtles special. Find when you introduce to many mutants of the same species or to many mutants in general. Kind of take away from that. 4 turtles don’t stand out as much. Has nothing to do with a female turtle.. there are plenty of strong female mutants in the IDW universe that stand out.. Alopex, cougar from mutanimals, can’t remember her name at the moment. New scorpion lady. To name a few. Al I’m saying is if your gonna keep the 4 main turtles in then four ground.. introducing a bunch of random ninja turtles in the mix.. isn’t Gonna help keep the beloved guys we read the comics for now.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #128
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

So here's my question:

Why is it so important that they have to be "special"? There's nothing in the story that suggests that they have to be the only turtles and nothing's at stake if they aren't.

Yeah, Venus put a super sour note on there being an additional turtle (especially a girl turtle), but that doesn't mean it should never be attempted again. This literally just happened and it's not like we don't know who Jenny is.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #129
Igglet

And I mean, regardless of that, they still ARE special. It's not like IDW just randomly went "Oh yeah here's a new turtle mutant", they aren't about to start mass-producing turtles. This was something that the team has been planning since #1 and, judging by how the writers have been treating it, it appears to be one of the biggest events in the history of this run. This is evidently very major and everything seems to indicate that Jennika is going to become one of the TMNT, judging by all the teasing and hyping regarding this twist, the fact that Tom literally made a statement about how huge this is in this very thread, and by the fact that she's getting her own bandana. ONE new TMNT isn't going to make the others feel less special.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #130
scribblesartist
Random Punk

@igglet. And if that’s the outcome that becomes of it. With jennica becoming a full fledged member of the fantastic four. With bandana and all. Then Count me out!! Consider me old fashioned but that’s a change I refuse to stand behind. Hey 100 issues is amazing accomplishment and Waltz and Eastman and the artists who brought all there efforts too the table. Raise my glass to there amazing run on TMNT. But this is probably a good time for me to sign off wish them the best of Luck on there future issues. Cheers 🍻
Old 07-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #131
ChosenOne
Banned

There have technically been five turtles in this comic since year two. If anything, Jenny is just filling the vacant spot left in the wake of Slash's death.

Where was the custom bandana thing stated? What color is it?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #132
scribblesartist
Random Punk

@utromaniac. Good question. Think in the 80s there where 4 turtles, and I think there has been plenty attempts at bringing in a 5th turtle. And almost ALL have failed. Where in 2019... allot more changes have been excepted in the Tmnt universe. Almost all of them have turned out pretty decent. Who’s to say this turns out to be great too, but it’s like I said from the beginning. Just a personal opinion. That’s all
Old 07-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #133
scribblesartist
Random Punk

@chosenone. Slash was never really classified as “ninja turtle”. However if jennika becomes a replacement for slash in mutianimals. That actually could work. However as it may. Giving her a light blue, yellow or pink banana would just be rediculous.. we would have the teenage mutant Ninja power rangers all over again. Sorry I’m just not buying it.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #134
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribblesartist View Post
@chosenone. Slash was never really classified as “ninja turtle”. However if jennika becomes a replacement for slash in mutianimals. That actually could work. However as it may. Giving her a light blue, yellow or pink banana would just be rediculous.. we would have the teenage mutant Ninja power rangers all over again. Sorry I’m just not buying it.
Personally, I'm more than willing to give IDW the benefit of the doubt. They're yet to do any wrong with this franchise in my eyes (for what that's worth). The only question mark I have with this whole thing is the timing, what with so much already going on in City at War. But, much like Marvel and the constant fears of some sections of the fandom that each new movie will flop, they know what they're doing. Best to wait and see.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #135
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

If there's anything "special" about the turtles, it's the nature of their mutation. That they're "same player, new body" reincarnations. It would be weird if Jennika was that, but she's not. She's literally just "another turtle" and there's nothing wrong with that.

But what's very certain, is that Tom & the Team probably knew this was going to be a controversial decision and prepped for most of the major complaints.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #136
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Where was the custom bandana thing stated? What color is it?
In this very thread, Tom said that the bandana & its color will be unveiled in #97.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #137
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
In this very thread, Tom said that the bandana & its color will be unveiled in #97.
Oh. Must've missed it, thanks!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #138
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Oh. Must've missed it, thanks!
You're welcome, man!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #139
snake
Disgusting

I’m fine with her being a turtle, but not a FIFTH turtle, if that makes any sense.

Always hated that concept and felt it clashed with the existing dynamic and it’s purposes.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #140
scribblesartist
Random Punk

@snake. Thank you snake. I agree...