The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
miru
Mad Scientist

Scientific Explanation for Vanishing Pupils?

Could it be that the Hamato Bros.’s pupils vanishing in the heat of combat be due to their nictitating membranes on their eyes? Real turtles have them, right? It’s always nice to think deep and find scientific explanations for things.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Could it be that the Hamato Bros.’s pupils vanishing in the heat of combat be due to their nictitating membranes on their eyes? Real turtles have them, right? It’s always nice to think deep and find scientific explanations for things.
Explain it for Batman, Robin, Green Lantern, Wolverine, et al, too, please.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Explain it for Batman, Robin, Green Lantern, Wolverine, et al, too, please.
Hmm. Okay, strange side effect of fictional heroism. (One that I will probably never understand why it is a thing anyhow.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

At least in Batman and Robin's case, their masks are usually explained to have special lenses in them that can have a variety of functions. At least in more modern tellings. Green Lantern's mask is simply a hard-light construct created by his ring, and thus can look like whatever he wants it to. In these three cases, to at least some degree it's a factor in preserving their secret identity. We can add Flash, Nightwing, and a few others for the same reason.

I can't speak to the others mentioned, however, nor the TMNT. I think it's bizarre when I see it used for the Turtles and have never quite gotten used to it. I'm fine with "white eyes" on someone if there's an in-story reason, and not a "The artist just thought it'd look frickin' sweet" reason. I'unno.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If they ever manage to make a TMNT movie that doesn't suck I wouldn't mind that being a thing. It's a defense in addition to looking metal, then. Like, if they get splashed with acid. Or maced or something. Or running through tear gas.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm fine with "white eyes" on someone if there's an in-story reason, and not a "The artist just thought it'd look frickin' sweet" reason. I'unno.
Agree. I mean, aesthetically it looks neat, though I kind of prefer the drawn in eyes and the white never quite made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
At least in Batman and Robin's case, their masks are usually explained to have special lenses in them that can have a variety of functions.
Reminds me of the 2003 series. They take off the masks, and oh look... actual eyes. Huh? The later end of that series of course drew in eyes. BUT they were also shown drawn in as kids with masks. Their masks don't appear to have lenses, but uh... maybe? But not at kids?

Spoiler:
Simplest explanation for that set, IF they do have the additional membrane bit... They're using a different laundry detergent than they did as kids and it is causing eye irritation. In the final season of 2003 they finally switched brands again.

Or... lenses. Really reflective ones that look white.

Now 2012 I can't explain. Even if they have it too, it really isn't that useful in combat situations anyhow. (Maybe if it was a particularly dusty fight.) But lacking any obvious translucency though is surely a disadvantage to their sight; even if there was some ability to see through it's obvious it would still be limited and totally clear sight when fighting an enemy would surely be preferable.

Would make more sense if it's only used periodically and momentarily when it makes sense to do so and not for actual combat the entire time.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Like, if they get splashed with acid. Or maced or something. Or running through tear gas.
Yes, this exactly.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The nictitating membrane is the best explanation. Didn’t even know that was a thing.

I was gonna say a side effect to mutagen that they can switch on and off just to look cool
Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
The nictitating membrane is the best explanation. Didn’t even know that was a thing.

I was gonna say a side effect to mutagen that they can switch on and off just to look cool
Some of the other characters could also use their membranes, but Mondo prefers an eye lick over the membranes. And I guess the membranes make sure they rarely land killing blows on organic opponents.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
And I guess the membranes make sure they rarely land killing blows on organic opponents.
If they're going to fight you without... you better get the HELL OUT OF THERE. And never show your face in their town again.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
And I guess the membranes make sure they rarely land killing blows on organic opponents.
Uh, what...?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:14 AM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I was thinking the same. Using the membrane in battle would weaken thier sight or something? I looked it up but it just says it’s for protection and cleansing the eye.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:28 AM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I assume its just a natural byproduct of the turtles going into Fight or Flight mode. Comparable to some animals like crocodiles which have eyelids drawn over while attacking prey.

Like when Leonardo in the season 2 finale was being beaten by Razhar, Fishface and Tiger Claw, he suddenly went into a fit of rage that not only made his eyes go pure white, but also gave him the strength to defeat all 3 at once (whereas before, even 1 would prove a challenge for him).

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
newhire13
Hench Mutant

In this case it being pretty cool looking is a good enough explanation for me (I personally dislike everything being over explained ) but I guess saying (in terms of the Nick show) that its a side effect of the mutation that gets triggered for whatever reason works well for me.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I prefer them without their pupils. They look cooler to me and pays homage to Mirage. I'm still waiting for the idea of Donnie creating masks with lenses for him and his brothers similar to Batman's mask. Would like to see that with any version.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote