The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #21
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

In the loosest sense, Bebop and Rocksteady were "Mirage" characters because Laird created them to be used for toy designs. The original designs aren't tainted by the drastic adaptation made by MWS any more than the Mirage turtles, April, Casey or Splinter were. You can't say "they wouldn't fit in to the Mirage comic" simply because they've been long established as ineffectual bumbling idiots. If this is the case, Mirage should have never let MWS do the show to begin with, since most of the characters are only loose adaptations anyway.

Shredder in Mirage is hardly more of a threat than he is in the Fred Wolf show. No matter how many times he comes back they simply defeat him again. He's more menacing and sociopathic maybe, bit only slightly more competent.

If you want a competent Shredder you have to go to the 2003 show universe or the Nick show. We never had a resolution one way or the other in Archie.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
. We never had a resolution one way or the other in Archie.
We did in Year of the Turtle.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
In the loosest sense, Bebop and Rocksteady were "Mirage" characters because Laird created them to be used for toy designs. The original designs aren't tainted by the drastic adaptation made by MWS any more than the Mirage turtles, April, Casey or Splinter were. You can't say "they wouldn't fit in to the Mirage comic" simply because they've been long established as ineffectual bumbling idiots. If this is the case, Mirage should have never let MWS do the show to begin with, since most of the characters are only loose adaptations anyway.
No. Being drawn by Eastman and Laird DOES NOT make them MIRAGE characters.

Not even loosely. That's like saying X-Force and Spawn are in the same universe because Greg Capullo drew them both.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #24
Ninjinister
無問題

It was for a 20 anniversary issue if I remember correctly.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

In one of the Cowboy of Moo Mesa Tales issues they do show various dimensions in small panels and one in the upper left shows Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady, probably based on the Archie versions. That's the only "canon" appearance of Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady in Mirage.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

Not even loosely. That's like saying X-Force and Spawn are in the same universe because Greg Capullo drew them both.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The way Mirage works, Bebop and Rocksteady would have been killed in their first appearance. Villains don't last long in Mirage.

I mean this is mirage, not a kids cartoon so there's nothing keeping Raph from stabbing them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The way Mirage works, Bebop and Rocksteady would have been killed in their first appearance. Villains don't last long in Mirage.

I mean this is mirage, not a kids cartoon so there's nothing keeping Raph from stabbing them.
They'd be fundamentally different characters. They couldn't ever have been humans, they'd be a normal rhino and warthog that were exposed to the ooze at some point at the same time as the Turtles were 15 years before issue #1... which is highly unlikely. What, did another canister bounce out of that truck and go into the zoo? It's dumb.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #29
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

They could have been random mutants in Road Hogs.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
They could have been random mutants in Road Hogs.
I guess but that's still not strictly Mirage.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #31
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

Oh definitely! But, plenty of iconic TMNT villains are "one and done" in Mirage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB
They'd be fundamentally different characters. They couldn't ever have been humans, they'd be a normal rhino and warthog that were exposed to the ooze at some point at the same time as the Turtles were 15 years before issue #1... which is highly unlikely. What, did another canister bounce out of that truck and go into the zoo? It's dumb.
Or they'd have different origins all together, if they even bothered to give them origins at all. They probably would be like Chote, where they just don't explain where they come from. They didn't like extra mutants, but they had no problem with anthropomorhic animals existing for no reason.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that they really wouldn't fit in the main Mirage comic (I think an argument can be made for the RPG though), but isn't it fun to speculate about how bizarrely different they'd have to be to make them fit (and to wonder what E&L had in mind with those designs)?
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
(and to wonder what E&L had in mind with those designs)?
Do we really have to wonder? We know the answer: toys, specifically the major toy deal they just landed. They didn't draw them up just to draw them up.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-08-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #33
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Do we really have to wonder? We know the answer: toys, specifically the major toy deal They just landed. They didn't draw them up just to draw them up.
Seriously. This is about as hard to understand as grade school arithmetic.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #34
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

poetry, man! pure poetry!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #35
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Do we really have to wonder? We know the answer: toys, specifically the major toy deal They just landed. They didn't draw them up just to draw them up.
LOL Yeah, pretty much. But, they'd be different toys than the ones we got, so I guess the real question becomes "What would R&B be like if E&L had more control over the toyline and FW cartoon?"
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #36
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
LOL Yeah, pretty much. But, they'd be different toys than the ones we got, so I guess the real question becomes "What would R&B be like if E&L had more control over the toyline and FW cartoon?"
More gritty, more stylised and bigger.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #37
miru
Mad Scientist

I Headcanon that they were actually just the two PD members that were standing near each other before Leonardo drew his blades to demonstrate that freaks can bleed. There are two grunts who indeed bear a resemblance to their human forms. They’re on around page 6.

https://youtu.be/d8t5Lyn1mgg?t=1m50s

Right here, at the 1:50 mark, are the two I speak of.

Last edited by miru; 10-02-2018 at 09:41 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote