The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Hellboy Reboot

David Harbour (Stranger Things) is currently in talks to play the main role. Del Toro and Ron Pearlman won't be involved: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...arbour-1001462

Quote:
Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment.

Hellboy, the demonic comic book hero-turned- Guillermo del Toro film franchise, is poised to return to the big-screen, this time without the filmmaker at the helm.

Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment that would reboot and relaunch the property.

Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is in talks to direct the project, which has a working title of Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Del Toro is not involved nor is Ron Perlman, the actor who inhabited the red-skinned cigar-chomping devil in the two previous installments.

Rather, David Harbour, the Stranger Things star, is in talks play Hellboy.

If a deal makes, Millennium would become the third company to make a Hellboy movie in as many releases.

Hellboy was created in 1993 by Mignola and became an indie comic hit as it told of a demon raised by a professor, working to fight supernatural evildoers for an organization called Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Del Toro co-wrote and directed the first adaptation, which was made by Revolution Studios and released by Sony in 2004. The movie made $60 million domestic (another $40 internationally asterisked that this was the era before international box office dominated performance) on a budget of $66 million.

The second movie was made by Universal with the same team – del Toro and Perlman – but its box office mojo was cut short when The Dark Knight, directed by Christopher Nolan and featuring Heath Ledger as the Joker, opened six days later.

Still, there were rumblings of a third installment and last year del Toro, Dark Horse Entertainment, Levin and Gordon, the latter who controls the rights, explored their options. However, the budget was a stumbling block, with del Toro wanting a bigger canvas for his vision. In the end, the producers decided a reboot and relaunch was more feasible.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I would have rather had the third movie. Ron Perlman was Hellboy he was amazing.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Ron Pearlman is Hellboy, anyone else is an imitation.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Huh. Well this probably spells doom for my buddy's sidequel that was being developed. Or maybe not.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm for it, could be dope.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
Ninjinister
無問題

Perlman is my favorite actor, and I have no idea who this bloke is, so I'm not super-enthused. Also I loved the del Toro weirdness of the creatures (especially in the second one where he got to do more than just adapt) so... eh. I do like Hellboy as a character, though.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Perlman is my favorite actor, and I have no idea who this bloke is, so I'm not super-enthused. Also I loved the del Toro weirdness of the creatures (especially in the second one where he got to do more than just adapt) so... eh. I do like Hellboy as a character, though.
Same here Perlman is one of my favorite actors. . Man I feel bad for Ron and GTD just a few months earlier they went to pitch Hellboy 3 and the studios said no so they announce a reboot later. Kind of a big Middle Finger to Ron and GTD.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 05-09-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:11 AM   #8
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I love the two movies, and even the two animated movies, but I can't honestly say that it's impossible to make a better adaptation of the comic. I'd like to see Hellboy III more than a reboot, but if that's the way it has to be then I'll give it a fair shake.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 AM   #9
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I agree that Perlman WAS Hellboy. He absolutely nailed it. I have a few HB and BPRD issues and he and Abe's actor were stellar in their roles.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I heard the reboot is gonna be rated R.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/hellb...arbour-a150952
Old 05-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #11
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

As much as it kills me there won't be a third DelToro/Perlman movie, I've made my peace with that a long time ago.

And Niel Marshal is an amazing director. The Descent was one of the scariest horror flicks I've ever seen, Dog Soldiers was a fun action take on werewolves, and Doomsday is just a charged mess of ideas that I couldn't take my eyes off. Love this guy. Looking forward to see how this develops.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Well I'm both sad and cautiously optimistic about this.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The original Hellboy movies didn't do much for me, but I really liked Ron and the overall potential.

I think a reboot, especially with Hopper, could be excellent. Optimistic.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Personally, I saw Hellboy 1 and it was oh-kay. Kind of boring. Ending sort of deadpan. Never bothered with part 2.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #15
sdp
-

I've never watched or checked anything out from Hellboy, I don't know, it doesn't seem to appeal to me, are the two DTV movies or live action movies a good way to get a feeling for the character?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #16
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but as a long-time Hellboy comics fan I'm overjoyed to hear that the Guillermo Del Toro franchise is dead. Pearlman really was a greaty Hellboy, but I think David Harbour could do just as good a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I've never watched or checked anything out from Hellboy, I don't know, it doesn't seem to appeal to me, are the two DTV movies or live action movies a good way to get a feeling for the character?
No. Do yourself a favor and check out the first few stories from the Hellboy comics, or pick and choose based on what interests you personally. There is a long-running plot but also a lot of stand-alone stories that are a lot of fun.

Seriously, the two live-action Hellboy flicks are awful messes and totally changed the nature of the characters' world, the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense where Hellboy works, and his teammates there. I don't really see why an R rating is necessary for the series but as long as its better than the first film franchise I'm all for it
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #17
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

A few minor updates:

-The film currently has the tentative title of "Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen"

-Pre-production on the film is currently underway as Harbour teased in a photo he's being fitted for Hellboy's Right Hand of Doom: http://www.cbr.com/hellboy-reboot-da...-hand-of-doom/

-Filming has also been confirmed to start this upcoming Fall: http://www.cbr.com/hellboy-reboot-fi...david-harbour/

-And finally, Ron Pearlman officially passes on the torch and gave Harbour his blessing: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/hellb...-torch-a151664

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Lionsgate Will Probably Distribute ‘Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen’

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Mignola Reveals Hellboy Reboot Was Originally Tied to Del Toro Movies
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...DdDr5izzJtt.99

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #20
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'm all for a movie closer to Mignola's Hellboy. The del Toro movies are alright, but the story was pretty boring in both and only holds up due to Creature Design and the charisma of the main actors.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuckboy