The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #761
italianice388
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut II View Post
Not really. I'm just confused about why their toy version of Bebop had to have buck-teeth.
super 7 is modeling their line off of the playmates toyline. so why does the playmates toyline look different from the cartoon? believe it or not, a lot of the toys came before the cartoon, so really the question should be: why doesn't the cartoon look like the toys?

playmates made the toys, but said they needed a cartoon out in order to proceed with distribution. once the cartoon came out, they released the first wave. bebop the toy precedes bebop in the cartoon.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #762
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Right. In 1986, the Mirage Comics TMNT comic book caught on with comic book readers, then Playmates Toys went to Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird in hopes of selling toys based on the original TMNT comic book. Initially, the toys were modeled after the popular Mirage Studios TMNT comic book characters. Then, a 1987 mini-series was made to advertise those toys, so the figures had to be redone to resemble the characters from the 1987 mini-series. Thankfully, the designs of the figures and card backs were not changed completely. So, the figures were a mashup of the designs for the Mirage Comics TMNT comic characters and the designs for the 1987 Fred Wolf mini-series.

I like that S7 went with the colors used for the soft-head Bebop versus the hard-head Bebop. I was never a fan of the hard-head versions of the first basic assortment figures.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-16-2020 at 09:59 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #763
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
so really the question should be: why doesn't the cartoon look like the toys?
And that's pretty easy to answer as well. Highly detailed characters are a pain to animate. It takes too long for each image and it is too difficult to keep the details right from frame to frame and scene to scene. And let's face it, the original cartoon had more than enough errors in it already.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #764
italianice388
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
And that's pretty easy to answer as well. Highly detailed characters are a pain to animate. It takes too long for each image and it is too difficult to keep the details right from frame to frame and scene to scene. And let's face it, the original cartoon had more than enough errors in it already.
ha! exactly.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #765
mikey0
Mad Scientist

A CGI cartoon based on the original Playmates toy line would be amazing.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:10 PM   #766
italianice388
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
A CGI cartoon based on the original Playmates toy line would be amazing.
holy moly it really would be. great idea!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #767
mikey0
Mad Scientist

I always liked the toy line-centric marketing made from ‘88 to ‘90 for TMNT. Unfortunately, the cartoon-centric merchandise and latter toy line stuff took over from 1990 to 1994.

How did Leo and Don ever fit their weapons under their belts in the FW cartoon? The double straps were better suited for Leo and Don than the regular belts.

A CGI movie series would work as well.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-17-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #768
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Speculation time! Obviously at some point they'll start doing variant turtles. The first wave of those were Space Raph, Undercover Don, Samurai Leo, and Surfer Mike.

For Undercover Don - think he'll have a molded coat? Or be the normal release with cloth goods? Think the first Don release might have the coat & mask? Or that they'll do all 4 turtles in molded Undercover versions, or just with lots of different accessories??
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #769
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
Speculation time! Obviously at some point they'll start doing variant turtles. The first wave of those were Space Raph, Undercover Don, Samurai Leo, and Surfer Mike.

For Undercover Don - think he'll have a molded coat? Or be the normal release with cloth goods? Think the first Don release might have the coat & mask? Or that they'll do all 4 turtles in molded Undercover versions, or just with lots of different accessories??
The variant turtles have already been added to the TMNT ReAction line, so a few variant turtles could be a part of the TMNT Ultimates line.

I would think the coat would be molded for the Ultimate Undercover Don like the original release, but S7 has shown us an Ultimate Leonardo without the ‘88 sad face and Ultimate Shredder with thin eyebrows over the helmet (like the hard-head ‘89 Shredder). S7 could release Ultimate Undercover Donatello with a cloth goods coat, but I would not count on it.

The TMNT Ultimates line should consist of mainly basic assortment characters from the original Playmates toy line though.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-19-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #770
ToSte
Hench Mutant

How bout rather than an entire variant figure just release an accessory pack? No figure, just an alternative head, clothes, and weapons?
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #771
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post
How bout rather than an entire variant figure just release an accessory pack? No figure, just an alternative head, clothes, and weapons?
S7 can do that, but I don’t see any accessory packs in the future for this line. An Ultimate Undercover Don would be made without soft goods with the same points of articulation as the other TMNT Ultimate figures.

Hopefully, S7 covers the other allies and foes before variant turtles come into the fold. I see Mutagen Man was covered as an Ultimate TMNT figure. I’d love to see Scratch next. Fan favorites first and then the lesser known side characters followed by the variant turtles.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #772
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

I suspect every wave will have a turtle, for obvious reasons. So I expect wave 5 to start having variants.

While we still don't know how these figures will be in-hand, so far their character selection has been great. A good mix.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #773
mikey0
Mad Scientist

It’s difficult to tell at this point whether S7 will have turtle allies in place of the turtles from wave 5 onward or variant turtles. The disguised turtles never sold too well in the early to mid 90s, so S7 should go with the allies and foes before any variant turtles. Who knows at this point for the TMNT Ultimates.

It would be really neat if a 4 pack of the turtles with pupils (à la Giant Turtles) were made, but I’m not going to go there.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #774
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

While I'd rather have more allies / villians, even if they don't go "normal" variants, they can still go storage shell, movie, toon, maybe even mutating turtles...all ones that Playmates did that is, not the style that NECA has exclusive access to.

It'll be interesting for sure! I wonder what we'll hear, if anything, at ToyFair.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #775
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
While I'd rather have more allies / villians, even if they don't go "normal" variants, they can still go storage shell, movie, toon, maybe even mutating turtles...all ones that Playmates did that is, not the style that NECA has exclusive access to.

It'll be interesting for sure! I wonder what we'll hear, if anything, at ToyFair.
I don’t see S7 doing variant turtles past possibly the disguised turtles. As great as Storage Shell, Headdroppin’ Turtles, Mutations, and Movie Star turtles were in the early 90s, none of those variant waves sold as well as the 1st basic assortment originals then.

The original Playmates toy line jumped the shark with the first variant wave (disguised turtles), but some of the disguised turtles like Undercover Don and Leo The Sewer Samurai were welcome additions. Mike The Sewer Surfer stayed at places like Kay Bee Toys for almost four years.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-19-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #776
frank_one
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The variant turtles have already been added to the TMNT ReAction line
Mmhh... any photos? I don't remember seeing any variant turtle in the ReAction line.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #777
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Mmhh... any photos? I don't remember seeing any variant turtle in the ReAction line.
BBTS has the listed for preorder, but no photos

"Breath in the smoke, Oroku Saki, and meditate. Open your mind and all will become clear."-Kitsune, SHotFC #3

"You know what, you're not Leonardo, you're a member of the foot clan. you are a foot clan member! you're not just a member, you're Danny! you're that punk b*tch Danny!"
-Adam, workaholics, teenage mutant ninja roommates
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #778
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Pictures of the actual ReAction figures should be at Toy Fair this week or next week with the lineup to wave 3 of the TMNT Ultimates line.

Here are BBTS links like 909 Turtle Fan brought up:

Space Cadet Raphael: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104350

Undercover Donatello: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/104353

Samurai Leonardo: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/113326

Sewer Surfer Michelangelo:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/113323
Old 02-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #779
frank_one
Stone Warrior

Thank you 909 Turtles Fan and mikey0. I'm looking forward to Samurai Leo, I hope they will bring him to the Ultimate line as well. My dream? Don, Raph and Mikey in the same style of Samurai Leo.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #780
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Thank you 909 Turtles Fan and mikey0. I'm looking forward to Samurai Leo, I hope they will bring him to the Ultimate line as well. My dream? Don, Raph and Mikey in the same style of Samurai Leo.
Well, S7 will be making a Battle Damaged Foot Soldier ReAction figure, so it is possible that a Samurai Don, Samurai Raph, and Samurai Mike could be made in, at least, 3 3/4 inch scale. S7 seems to be stricter with the Ultimates line than the ReAction line when it comes to reproducing the original Playmates toy line basic assortment characters.