The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
miru
Mad Scientist
 
miru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,787
Has the line jumped the shark? And when?

Do you think the TMNT toys have jumped the shark?

I think each line had it's own shark jump.

80's line: When the toys became cartoonist and less edgy.

2k3: Around the time the show itself did.

2k12: When they made KirbyBat and Mutagen Man.
__________________
Proud Digimon nut.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 26,007
Vintage Playmates was on point through & through if you ask me, because even the variants they consistently pumped out were at least well painted, unique, and had rad accessories. I think the 2k3 series just barely did it, what with all those last minute turtle variants. The TMNT series did it the second they finished getting the main characters out. What a shameless cashgrab the rest of that line was. Ugh!

As for now... Hell yeah, they jumped that sh*t hardcore. Dogpound was skipping the salmon, Rat King/Cockroach Terminator were hopping the halibut, but Mutagen Man & Kirby Bat are DEFINITELY shark jumpers. Everything looks like crap now. & don't even get me started on the lame variants that are not only boring but WILDLY OUT OF SCALE.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
& don't even get me started on the lame variants that are not only boring but WILDLY OUT OF SCALE.
Variants are in scale, you mean the deluxe figures? (flingers, power sound, etc.)
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 26,007
Yes, I mean the deluxe figures, but they're still variants.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yes, I mean the deluxe figures, but they're still variants.
True. The basic variants are the Ooze, Stealth Tech, and Battle Shell Turtles. I like them all except the ooze turtles, which I didn't get. I hope they do some variants of other characters besides the turtles.

As for the line jumping the shark...I suppose you could say it is since they're majorly slacking on paint, articulation and accessories...sculpting even, in some cases (Mutagen Man) but the toys are selling very well, so Playmates doesn't care. Of the new series coming out soon, Casey and Squirrelanoid look the best. Kirby and Mutagen Man are pretty bad...hoping that Rahzar turns out better than them.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist
 
Metalwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
True. The basic variants are the Ooze, Stealth Tech, and Battle Shell Turtles. I like them all except the ooze turtles, which I didn't get. I hope they do some variants of other characters besides the turtles.

As for the line jumping the shark...I suppose you could say it is since they're majorly slacking on paint, articulation and accessories...sculpting even, in some cases (Mutagen Man) but the toys are selling very well, so Playmates doesn't care. Of the new series coming out soon, Casey and Squirrelanoid look the best. Kirby and Mutagen Man are pretty bad...hoping that Rahzar turns out better than them.
It's possible that's the trend they're going for now with this next series, judging by Casey and the Squirrels. Maybe they didn't expect KirbyBat or Mutagen Man to sell well? That could be why the skimped on the quality.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
weizie
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 249
um how exactly have they jumped the shark? the term is usually used when something has ran out of ideas so they "jump the shark" or come out with something that is so far fetched its unbelievable. I don't see kirby-bat being jumping a shark since it is a genuine character in the show.
__________________
weizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Colonel Schrader
Hench Mutant
 
Colonel Schrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 324
yeah.. Kirby and Mutagen Man look damn bad.. I've kinda lost interest in the figures.. before I was going crazy trying to import everything.. waiting to see the movie toys at toy fair, not 2 excited from what I read in the description though.. wish Nick would drop Playmates and go with a more experienced company who can do a better job and who has better worldwide distribution.
Colonel Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Vintage Playmates was on point through & through if you ask me, because even the variants they consistently pumped out were at least well painted, unique, and had rad accessories. I think the 2k3 series just barely did it, what with all those last minute turtle variants. The TMNT series did it the second they finished getting the main characters out. What a shameless cashgrab the rest of that line was. Ugh!

As for now... Hell yeah, they jumped that sh*t hardcore. Dogpound was skipping the salmon, Rat King/Cockroach Terminator were hopping the halibut, but Mutagen Man & Kirby Bat are DEFINITELY shark jumpers. Everything looks like crap now. & don't even get me started on the lame variants that are not only boring but WILDLY OUT OF SCALE.
speak english
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,459
I don't think they've "jumped the shark" in terms of character selection but I do think that the quality has dropped well below acceptable levels. Dogpound was bad enough (and really inexcusable to be honest) but the carded pics of Mutagen Man are atrocious.

I get that costs are high and they're offsetting them by skimping on articulation and paint apps (which is easier to get away with in a line targeted at kids as generally mom and dad won't be bothered), but 2K12 is far more prominent and popular than 2K3 (being on Nick instead of 4Kids really helps there) so it stands to reason that sales are better. 2K3 never saw this level of cost cutting so why is 2K12?

If the line keeps going like that then it'll be dead sooner rather than later.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
psychturtle
Stone Warrior
 
psychturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 986
Dudes if you guys have the money, ThreeZero and Hot Toys are worth it. I'm building a DX12 batman and having a blast!
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshdonnie View Post
speak english
Learn to read
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
tmntgoldcoin
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 622
I don't think playmates has jumped the shark yet. Honestly there's not enough figures in the new toy line for them to have jumped the shark. Also history has dictated that playmates loves to makes wacky villains to fight the turtles, so it's kinda hard to say what mutation constitutes jumping the shark.
tmntgoldcoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
Cudley The Cowlick
Random Punk
 
Cudley The Cowlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: US
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgoldcoin View Post
I don't think playmates has jumped the shark yet. Honestly there's not enough figures in the new toy line for them to have jumped the shark. Also history has dictated that playmates loves to makes wacky villains to fight the turtles, so it's kinda hard to say what mutation constitutes jumping the shark.
I agree with this. Too soon for shark jumping.
A decrease in quality this early in the game sure is distressing though...
Cudley The Cowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime
 
Whatswiththeheadbands?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by okstpsy View Post
Dudes if you guys have the money, ThreeZero and Hot Toys are worth it. I'm building a DX12 batman and having a blast!
Building? What do you mean by building?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Bad ass isn't shooting someone with a gun; it's attacking them with gardening tools, and winning.
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,010
I'm lovin' the 'toon and lovin' the toys!!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 26,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshdonnie View Post
speak english
Exactly how dumb are you?
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
miru
Mad Scientist
 
miru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizie View Post
um how exactly have they jumped the shark? the term is usually used when something has ran out of ideas so they "jump the shark" or come out with something that is so far fetched its unbelievable. I don't see kirby-bat being jumping a shark since it is a genuine character in the show.
He's horribly made and came before more important characters.
__________________
Proud Digimon nut.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #19
weizie
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 249
Horribly made? Sure....still not jumping the shark. well at lest not going by the meaning that was set by the original shark jumper, happy days.
__________________
weizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
Zachatello00
Teenager w/ Attitude
 
Zachatello00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Open Sea
Posts: 1,714
I just hope Playmates doesn't see this thread and get any ideas.
"Hmmm, Shark Jumping TMNT! Brilliant!"

They'd be deluxe figures of course, out of scale with the rest of the line, and come with skis, a ramp, and of course, a shark
__________________
”Um, you haven’t by chance seen a morphological being lurking around here, have you?”
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.