The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
miru
Mad Scientist

Has the line jumped the shark? And when?

Do you think the TMNT toys have jumped the shark?

I think each line had it's own shark jump.

80's line: When the toys became cartoonist and less edgy.

2k3: Around the time the show itself did.

2k12: When they made KirbyBat and Mutagen Man.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Powder
Salami Origami

Vintage Playmates was on point through & through if you ask me, because even the variants they consistently pumped out were at least well painted, unique, and had rad accessories. I think the 2k3 series just barely did it, what with all those last minute turtle variants. The TMNT series did it the second they finished getting the main characters out. What a shameless cashgrab the rest of that line was. Ugh!

As for now... Hell yeah, they jumped that sh*t hardcore. Dogpound was skipping the salmon, Rat King/Cockroach Terminator were hopping the halibut, but Mutagen Man & Kirby Bat are DEFINITELY shark jumpers. Everything looks like crap now. & don't even get me started on the lame variants that are not only boring but WILDLY OUT OF SCALE.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
& don't even get me started on the lame variants that are not only boring but WILDLY OUT OF SCALE.
Variants are in scale, you mean the deluxe figures? (flingers, power sound, etc.)
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Powder
Salami Origami

Yes, I mean the deluxe figures, but they're still variants.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Yes, I mean the deluxe figures, but they're still variants.
True. The basic variants are the Ooze, Stealth Tech, and Battle Shell Turtles. I like them all except the ooze turtles, which I didn't get. I hope they do some variants of other characters besides the turtles.

As for the line jumping the shark...I suppose you could say it is since they're majorly slacking on paint, articulation and accessories...sculpting even, in some cases (Mutagen Man) but the toys are selling very well, so Playmates doesn't care. Of the new series coming out soon, Casey and Squirrelanoid look the best. Kirby and Mutagen Man are pretty bad...hoping that Rahzar turns out better than them.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
True. The basic variants are the Ooze, Stealth Tech, and Battle Shell Turtles. I like them all except the ooze turtles, which I didn't get. I hope they do some variants of other characters besides the turtles.

As for the line jumping the shark...I suppose you could say it is since they're majorly slacking on paint, articulation and accessories...sculpting even, in some cases (Mutagen Man) but the toys are selling very well, so Playmates doesn't care. Of the new series coming out soon, Casey and Squirrelanoid look the best. Kirby and Mutagen Man are pretty bad...hoping that Rahzar turns out better than them.
It's possible that's the trend they're going for now with this next series, judging by Casey and the Squirrels. Maybe they didn't expect KirbyBat or Mutagen Man to sell well? That could be why the skimped on the quality.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
weizie
Foot Soldier

um how exactly have they jumped the shark? the term is usually used when something has ran out of ideas so they "jump the shark" or come out with something that is so far fetched its unbelievable. I don't see kirby-bat being jumping a shark since it is a genuine character in the show.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Colonel Schrader
Hench Mutant

yeah.. Kirby and Mutagen Man look damn bad.. I've kinda lost interest in the figures.. before I was going crazy trying to import everything.. waiting to see the movie toys at toy fair, not 2 excited from what I read in the description though.. wish Nick would drop Playmates and go with a more experienced company who can do a better job and who has better worldwide distribution.
Colonel Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

Quote:
Vintage Playmates was on point through & through if you ask me, because even the variants they consistently pumped out were at least well painted, unique, and had rad accessories. I think the 2k3 series just barely did it, what with all those last minute turtle variants. The TMNT series did it the second they finished getting the main characters out. What a shameless cashgrab the rest of that line was. Ugh!

As for now... Hell yeah, they jumped that sh*t hardcore. Dogpound was skipping the salmon, Rat King/Cockroach Terminator were hopping the halibut, but Mutagen Man & Kirby Bat are DEFINITELY shark jumpers. Everything looks like crap now. & don't even get me started on the lame variants that are not only boring but WILDLY OUT OF SCALE.
speak english
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Chris
Mad Scientist

I don't think they've "jumped the shark" in terms of character selection but I do think that the quality has dropped well below acceptable levels. Dogpound was bad enough (and really inexcusable to be honest) but the carded pics of Mutagen Man are atrocious.

I get that costs are high and they're offsetting them by skimping on articulation and paint apps (which is easier to get away with in a line targeted at kids as generally mom and dad won't be bothered), but 2K12 is far more prominent and popular than 2K3 (being on Nick instead of 4Kids really helps there) so it stands to reason that sales are better. 2K3 never saw this level of cost cutting so why is 2K12?

If the line keeps going like that then it'll be dead sooner rather than later.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
psychturtle
Stone Warrior

Dudes if you guys have the money, ThreeZero and Hot Toys are worth it. I'm building a DX12 batman and having a blast!
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshdonnie View Post
speak english
Learn to read
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
tmntgoldcoin
Stone Warrior

I don't think playmates has jumped the shark yet. Honestly there's not enough figures in the new toy line for them to have jumped the shark. Also history has dictated that playmates loves to makes wacky villains to fight the turtles, so it's kinda hard to say what mutation constitutes jumping the shark.
tmntgoldcoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
Cudley The Cowlick
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgoldcoin View Post
I don't think playmates has jumped the shark yet. Honestly there's not enough figures in the new toy line for them to have jumped the shark. Also history has dictated that playmates loves to makes wacky villains to fight the turtles, so it's kinda hard to say what mutation constitutes jumping the shark.
I agree with this. Too soon for shark jumping.
A decrease in quality this early in the game sure is distressing though...
Cudley The Cowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstpsy View Post
Dudes if you guys have the money, ThreeZero and Hot Toys are worth it. I'm building a DX12 batman and having a blast!
Building? What do you mean by building?
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

I'm lovin' the 'toon and lovin' the toys!!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
Powder
Salami Origami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshdonnie View Post
speak english
Exactly how dumb are you?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by weizie View Post
um how exactly have they jumped the shark? the term is usually used when something has ran out of ideas so they "jump the shark" or come out with something that is so far fetched its unbelievable. I don't see kirby-bat being jumping a shark since it is a genuine character in the show.
He's horribly made and came before more important characters.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #19
weizie
Foot Soldier

Horribly made? Sure....still not jumping the shark. well at lest not going by the meaning that was set by the original shark jumper, happy days.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
Zachatello00
Teenager w/ Attitude

I just hope Playmates doesn't see this thread and get any ideas.
"Hmmm, Shark Jumping TMNT! Brilliant!"

They'd be deluxe figures of course, out of scale with the rest of the line, and come with skis, a ramp, and of course, a shark