The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #101
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
In the real world? Walking around beside real actors? Or would you want a fully cg film?

Same question.
i dont see why with a little bit of movie magic texturing they cant be side by side with real actors

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #102
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
i dont see why with a little bit of movie magic texturing they cant be side by side with real actors
In my opinion? because they don't look like real things. I'd argue, the movie turtles are pretty close to that design, if that design were given greater detail.

But it's a game of degrees at this point. I don't know that adding more detail to those designs wouldn't take you into the "ugly" zone. The eyes are really wide, and the shape of the mouth...they would be unsettling, like this is

Really impressive, hyper details, beautifully executed level of realism, set in an impossible basic form.

If it were a CGI film, I could see it. Would have been much better than 2007 designs.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #103
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Yeah, but what general audience would find the ugly Turtles we got even remotely appealing?
It's doing pretty well in theaters so I guess a decent amount of people out there.

Personally I think if you dive too much into realistic you start dipping way too much into monstrous which I think kills the fun of the characters. I'd much prefer the turtles have a bit more innocence to their overall design. It goes hand and hand with the teenage aspect, gives you the impression that they truly are the underdogs and would lead to some bad ass visuals when you see these little guys switch to do or die mode and start ripping bad guys new assholes. The new cartoon captures that perfectly

Last edited by newhire13; 08-24-2014 at 06:49 PM.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #104
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
It's doing pretty well in theaters so I guess a decent amount of people out there.
Funny, everyone I know whose seen the movies hate the Turtle's looks. First thing they say, is that they are too ugly.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #105
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Funny, everyone I know whose seen the movies hate the Turtle's looks. First thing they say, is that they are too ugly.
Yeah but and your friends are just a small group of people. I mean if you want to go that route I could argue with the fact that both times I saw it in theaters it got applause at the end.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #106
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Yeah but and your friends are just a small group of people. I mean if you want to go that route I could argue with the fact that both times I saw it in theaters it got applause at the end.
Well... I don't think applause is reserved only for attractive beings or perfect movies. Ending on a funny note prob also helps.

I don't personally remember applause, but folks seemed pleased enough at least.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #107
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well... I don't think applause is reserved only for attractive beings or perfect movies. Ending on a funny note prob also helps.

I don't personally remember applause, but folks seemed pleased enough at least.
true story when i saw it some guy left in the middle and never came back

people who where with him where outside the theater wondering where he went

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #108
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
for me? this

i feel those are the best realistic representation of tmnt..and with a small bit of tweaking (texture and skins and more money, and a non video game world) they could be awesome

but i wouldve loved this as well over what we got

EDIT: Powder beat me to it but agree 100%
I think a realistic version of OOTS design would have been okay.. but the second photo... hell yes!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #109
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
true story when i saw it some guy left in the middle and never came back

people who where with him where outside the theater wondering where he went
lol Maybe he hailed a cab and was on his way to giving the film makers a piece of his mind. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #110
MajorViolence
Stone Warrior

I was really hoping the movie look would resemble the OOTS designs. I'm still hoping the sequel will nudge the designs in that direction.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #111
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Just because it got applause (which I never understood at a movie.) doesn't mean that the people didn't find the designs to be ugly.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #112
Slade
god status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Just because it got applause (which I never understood at a movie.) doesn't mean that the people didn't find the designs to be ugly.
No lie, only movie I know that people clapped was Man of Steel and people(not me) hate that movie seems like.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #113
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Well when people were arguing about the mainly positive reception the movie got when it had advanced screenings meant it must be good to which some people countered by saying that other movies were raved about that turned out to have a bad reception overall. One of these was Green Lantern.

Green Lantern was a movie that was similarly panned by the professional critics and picked up a bad reputation but out of curiosity I looked at what the internet community thought about it at the time and instantly found several youtube reviewers who fresh from seeing it raved about what a great the film was and how the critics are wrong and anyone who hates must be a marvel fan. I even saw two videos of people being interviewed outside theaters with them similarly saying it was either a great movie or not that bad etc.

But what do people think of Green Lantern now?

Sound familiar? I don't think this movie stands up to much scrutiny or will stand the test of time of a few months once the thrill of seeing a new big budget live action TMNT movie wears off.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #114
Leolead
Stone Warrior

I liked Green Lantern...
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #115
Warhorse
Emperor

Heh, I don't like Ryan Reynolds, so I didn't even bother with the movie at all.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #116
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Me, I 100% wanted Out Of The Shadows designs.

http://i58.tinypic.com/ta0b45.jpg
Definitively this.

The OotS designs are perfect for a semi-realistic live-action take on the TMNT, first it's current gen friendly as they are primarily based off the Nick toon, but the designs are still recognizable for all demographics/generations. They keep it simple and classic looking, and the turtles look like humanoid turtles, and not green humans with a carapace backpack. They have expressive eyes and fully emotive mouth without going overboard with looking too human. And I love that they have skin colors like turtles, with streaks of red and yellow in their green skin.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #117
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That's pretty close to what I'd want, but again, only if we got something closer in tone to the original comics. I'm kinda weird in that I think realistic looking TMNT would be better for something more serious and closer to the source material, while something pulling from the cartoons is best to have designs that aren't as strict on how much they'd look like real turtles.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #118
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And if you want to argue that point than I could just as easily say that it doesn't mean that they did either. We can argue personal viewing experiences all day but it doesn't change the fact that the film is doing well with the general audience, which was my point to begin with.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #119
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Well when people were arguing about the mainly positive reception the movie got when it had advanced screenings meant it must be good to which some people countered by saying that other movies were raved about that turned out to have a bad reception overall. One of these was Green Lantern.

Green Lantern was a movie that was similarly panned by the professional critics and picked up a bad reputation but out of curiosity I looked at what the internet community thought about it at the time and instantly found several youtube reviewers who fresh from seeing it raved about what a great the film was and how the critics are wrong and anyone who hates must be a marvel fan. I even saw two videos of people being interviewed outside theaters with them similarly saying it was either a great movie or not that bad etc.

But what do people think of Green Lantern now?

Sound familiar? I don't think this movie stands up to much scrutiny or will stand the test of time of a few months once the thrill of seeing a new big budget live action TMNT movie wears off.
What's your point? The big difference is that while Green Lantern is considered a box office failure Ninja Turtles is a box office success. It's ok if you don't like the movie for whatever reason, but facts are facts.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #120
Sumac
Banned

Green Lantern was more CGI cartoon for me rather than an actual movie.
It was uninteresting and boring, save for the few special effects.
Ultimately it was similar to bad superhero movies of the 80-s, lame story, lame effects, lame characters.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept art, tmnt 2014 concept art