The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #41
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

To me, race change is not that big of a deal in many cases. For example in the newer Fantastic Four film (which sucked fr many reasons not dealing with race),I had no issue with Johnny Storm being black, I did however have issue with the fact that they kept Sue Storm white, having to shove the adopted angle in there. Obviously Fox was okay with changing one thing, but having a smart black woman in a supposed relationship with a white man was a no go. The Storms, April, Perry White, these characters weren't defined by their race, unlike say Danny Rand as Iron Fist, his race is key to his character. In many situations changing race of a character really has no impact on the story, April is a key example.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #42
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
To me, race change is not that big of a deal in many cases. For example in the newer Fantastic Four film (which sucked fr many reasons not dealing with race),I had no issue with Johnny Storm being black, I did however have issue with the fact that they kept Sue Storm white, having to shove the adopted angle in there. Obviously Fox was okay with changing one thing, but having a smart black woman in a supposed relationship with a white man was a no go. The Storms, April, Perry White, these characters weren't defined by their race, unlike say Danny Rand as Iron Fist, his race is key to his character. In many situations changing race of a character really has no impact on the story, April is a key example.
It doesn't impact the story but it impacts the characters design making them look less recognizable as the character. If April had been a black character in most medias I wouldn't want her to be white, and if she were made white I feel like people would be a lot less accepting of the idea and would complain about her being white washed.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #43
The Happy One
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
It doesn't impact the story but it impacts the characters design making them look less recognizable as the character. If April had been a black character in most medias I wouldn't want her to be white, and if she were made white I feel like people would be a lot less accepting of the idea and would complain about her being white washed.
Well, like Gold said, I guess it has to fit the incarnation- at least for me. It needs....to fit right. I can't say if it would or wouldn't in this series for sure. But, in my opinion, with everything else they've altered it would've been a good time as any to change that up too...I don't know.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #44
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

People feel that way because there is a representation imbalance in our media which is not reflective of the population as a whole.

Most characters in fiction are white and male.
Most people in the US are not white and male.

This is why it's a false equivalence to say that changing a white character into a character of color is the same thing as changing a character of color into a white character.

Tumblr explains it better.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #45
Commenter 42
Banned

Tumblr is a blight on society.

White folks need to stop telling black folks what they want. I'm not sure what's more offensive, SJW's or NGO's.

Seriously, go home white girls, unless you really think we're just not capable of fighting for ourselves.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #46
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Well to be honest I would expect a lot of backlash and complaints if we got a black April, especially if she was heavily stereotyped. I can imagine tons of Cybercube posts about it and locked threads and whatnot.

But by the time we got into season 2 or 3, everyone would have gotten used to it and it would have been a non-issue.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 07-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #47
plastroncafe

There's always going to be a percentage of any group of people who are adverse to change.
Whether or not they should be listened to should depend on how convincing their arguments are.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference, but it's awful shady to try and back that preference up with anything other than:
I just don't like it, that's why.

I don't have any real nostalgia for OT April, and much prefer the brunette Mirage April.
Seeing her change shape, age, and complexion doesn't really phase me. I just want her finally written well.
Which is why I'm for a black April O'Neil.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #48
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I rather April be Chinese tbh.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #49
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

When it comes to black female characters in kids shows, the last one that I can think of that incredibly well-written was Elisa Marza from Gargoyles, who was not only was black, but also half Native American. That is, a black female character that is surrounded by other characters who are white.
The ladies of Avatar really wouldn't count, since there are no white/European people in their world. They even went into her heritage a few times. And in someone's argument that April's race would change her world perception...Elisa was a detective and a cop. If I can't think of any others, then they haven't made on impression on me like Elisa did. Because damn, she was fantastic. I don't think I've seen another black/Native American besides her.

If a biracial WOC adult cop can grow to accept that there are nocturnal flying monsters that awoke in New York after 1,000 years trapped in their stone form, I'm sure a WOC teenage/reporter April can take mutant turtles living in the sewer.

The issue with April being half-Kraang probably wouldn't go over well with the tumblr community if she had been black, though. Worse than it already did.

Though, there is Connie from Steven Universe.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 07-02-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #50
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post

White folks need to stop telling black folks what they want. I'm not sure what's more offensive, SJW's or NGO's.

Seriously, go home white girls, unless you really think we're just not capable of fighting for ourselves.
Us whites all got together and decided that more representation in childrens fiction would be the greatest of all reparations. You're welcome.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #51
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Us whites all got together and decided that more representation in childrens fiction would be the greatest of all reparations. You're welcome.
just what I wanted for Christmas. I love it when a multinational profits from white guilt.
Sure makes up for everything.

I have nostalgia for Ginger April, and her sexy cover-alls.
I always thought Mirage April was a little too butch.
I think her race isn't the barrier to her being well written, the writers are.
That's why I'm for a white April.

Besides, the brothers are brothers, so it makes me happy to see my man Donnie possibly getting some from a white girl.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 07-02-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #52
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post

I can agree with this. It's really annoying how they think minorities are so insecure that they need people on the screen to look like them to relate or like it. **** off, I'll watch Friends all I want and not even care that no one looks like me.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #53
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Turtles proved you don't need to look like the characters to relate to them anyway. Nobody looks like a mutant turtle. Everyone relates just fine.

Also, I know it isn't very much different, but I like the look of the turtle in that sketch better than the finals too.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #54
plastroncafe

There is no SJW bigger than Ciro
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-03-2016, 12:55 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Race changing is dumb anyway. If they want different races introduce a new character. They can always introduce Angel on the show if they want a spanish or dark skinned character around.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:51 AM   #56
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I kinda dig the idea of a black April in a yellow jumpsuit, as bright colors and dark skin is really striking visually.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:14 AM   #57
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
There is no SJW bigger than Ciro
Not even Papenbrook?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #58
The Happy One
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Race changing is dumb anyway. If they want different races introduce a new character. They can always introduce Angel on the show if they want a spanish or dark skinned character around.
That I can agree with. The last part. If there's any better way to introduce diversity it's the simple process of creating new characters. And it's not even about black or white- characters of even other cultural backgrounds should be included. Hey, maybe it's the Tumblr in me speaking, I don't know. The way the show is now is fine, and my rather conflicted feelings for 2012 April has to do with the way she's written. I like her design- not the shorts and leggings. But she falls flat a little.

And, I guess, I'd rather not have a black April in the show if she's not written right, with stereotypes and whatnot.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #59
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I kinda dig the idea of a black April in a yellow jumpsuit, as bright colors and dark skin is really striking visually.
This is true. Damn you and your logic!!!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #60
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Angel isn't latina. Stop saying that.
Closed Thread

Tags
a day inside may, april o'neil, concept art, cybercubed master of sex, cybercubedthepedophile, cybercubedtheracist, pokesmut