The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-08-2024, 03:04 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

TMNT comics license (via Paramount) renewed at IDW

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/te...h-anniversary/

I'm seeing this pop up everywhere, in my E-mail, on Google before I even type anything in. Did IDW make this big of a deal about previous renewals with Viacom/Paramount? Maybe we don't realize how close we came this time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 03:10 PM   #2
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

How is IDW even still breathing at this point?

I mean, yeah, there’s Sonic, the Saturday Morning Show series and the Last Ronin sequel, but what else is keeping them from sinking? They lost Transformers and they lost Usagi
Old 01-08-2024, 03:32 PM   #3
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
How is IDW even still breathing at this point?

I mean, yeah, there’s Sonic, the Saturday Morning Show series and the Last Ronin sequel, but what else is keeping them from sinking? They lost Transformers and they lost Usagi
I'm glad Usagi went back to Dark Horse. IDW doesn't deserve him.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 03:36 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
I'm glad Usagi went back to Dark Horse. IDW doesn't deserve him.
It's kind of meaningless, though. Usagi doesn't really sell much and it's not like either IDW or Dark Horse are ever going to give him sticky notes about what to write or what not to write. It's just a new logo on the cover.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:49 PM   #5
Jeff
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://comicbook.com/comics/news/te...h-anniversary/

I'm seeing this pop up everywhere, in my E-mail, on Google before I even type anything in. Did IDW make this big of a deal about previous renewals with Viacom/Paramount? Maybe we don't realize how close we came this time.
i don't think it was close, they're jump amping up hype for the 40th. If we were truly close to it not being renewed I doubt they'd be announcing multiple new titles in addition to the few we already have.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 03:50 PM   #6
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Well it is also IDW's 25th anniversary too.

Also lol at Fred Hembeck's gag turtle Picasso making an appearance above the logo on the cover for #150.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:42 PM   #7
GameCobra
Random Punk

That's pretty cool to hear, honestly. Gives more room for the IDW Turtles to be adopted into other universes.

Also, Alopex eating pizza. Please let this be canon.
GameCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:51 PM   #8
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

As long as TLR continues I’m happy with the comics for now. Having Eastman at the helm of something with the proper assistance and barely any editorial resistance is pretty damn great.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:20 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's no reason IDW wouldn't renew the license unless Nick was demanding too much money for their percentage of sales or however the deal works, so they're letting the course continue.

Sophie's run is wrapping up in another 4 issues, so I'm interested in seeing what they do post issue 150 anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:47 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I'm happy that they renewed the license, Which means we can expect a lot more issues beyond 150.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:02 PM   #11
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I'm happy that they renewed the license, Which means we can expect a lot more issues beyond 150.
That depends on the continued existence of IDW. I don't blame them for making as big a deal as they can about this to try to build trust in the continued existence of IDW.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:10 PM   #12
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The press release doesn't say anything about there being issues beyond #150.

IDW needed to renew the license for The Last Ronin alone. We have yet to see what else they do.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:15 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So I am confused about how the Viacom machine works. The article said Paramount, but Viacom bought
TMNT for Nickelodeon. I read that Brian Levine is over both Nickelodeon and Paramount Studios and the properties are interchangeable?

I know Nickelodeon went horribly woke so I guess it endorses the crap Campbell has been spinning out. IDW is dying. I can only assume that what little IDW has it wants to milk The Last Ronin and try try to get a few dollars for the 40th anniversary so Levine has not bothered taking other offers since Nickelodeon does not have a comics division of its own.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:22 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So I am confused about how the Viacom machine works. The article said Paramount, but Viacom bought
TMNT for Nickelodeon. I read that Brian Levine is over both Nickelodeon and Paramount Studios and the properties are interchangeable?
Viacom is the overall parent company which owns Paramount, Nick, etc. They're all under the same umbrella.

Quote:
I know Nickelodeon went horribly woke so I guess it endorses the crap Campbell has been spinning out. IDW is dying. I can only assume that what little IDW has it wants to milk The Last Ronin and try try to get a few dollars for the 40th anniversary so Levine has not bothered taking other offers since Nickelodeon does not have a comics division of its own.
Sophie is leaving after 4 issues. I doubt IDW renewed the license for another 5-issue mini-series like The Last Ronin.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:48 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Viacom is the overall parent company which owns Paramount, Nick, etc. They're all under the same umbrella.
Not anymore. It's all Paramount now, no more Viacom. Viacom doesn't exist now.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #16
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
The press release doesn't say anything about there being issues beyond #150.

IDW needed to renew the license for The Last Ronin alone. We have yet to see what else they do.
Exactly. There was no way they were going to let that license go.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:38 AM   #17
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

TLR2 already going through same type of delays as the first. First issue releasing in March now. Originally solicited for December. They had an excuse for the first series but this is admittedly annoying.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:44 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why is there a narrative going on that IDW TMNT is not continuing passed issue 150 when they said they are and it's not ending? They also still have the Saturday Morning Adventures comics which is ongoing, and another History of the Foot Clan 5-issue mini this year about Karai tying into the main series.

The main series is obviously going to go on for as long as IDW holds the license. I don't know if we'll survive long enough to make it to issue 200 but it's going on for the time being.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:40 AM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah at this point it seems the IDW TMNT will only end cause the company itself went down rather than the comic itself being cancelled while IDW lives on.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:00 AM   #20
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Maybe Campbell will try to do some "reboot" in the Armaggon arc, and introduce some multiverse or something. Although I think this is the worst option.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote