The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #41
Shellrider13
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 93
I would do her black, asian ,white. Just saying.
Shellrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #42
Derrico13
Foot Soldier
 
Derrico13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 162
__________________
Derrico13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #43
Casey
Stone Warrior
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrico13 View Post
That's pretty rad.
__________________
GOONGALA!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #44
Casey
Stone Warrior
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
TBH, Mirage April always came across as mixed to me with the way her hair was.
Me too. Peter says no though. I just don't get how could someone to look at those pages and covers and not see a biracial woman. She is definitely not Anglo.
__________________
GOONGALA!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #45
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,199
This comes up on Tumblr every now and again, with people cherry picking art from various covers and pages depending on which side of the argument they happen to lean towards.

How April looks really depends on who's drawing her, and in the case of the panels that started this thread: who's coloring her.

Personally? I'd love to see a brunette April of any ethnicity.
But we've about as much chance of that happening as we do of Shadow Jones making an appearance on the Nick Toon.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #46
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This comes up on Tumblr every now and again, with people cherry picking art from various covers and pages depending on which side of the argument they happen to lean towards.

How April looks really depends on who's drawing her, and in the case of the panels that started this thread: who's coloring her.

Personally? I'd love to see a brunette April of any ethnicity.
But we've about as much chance of that happening as we do of Shadow Jones making an appearance on the Nick Toon.
I'd rather she remained a redhead since that's what she's been in most incarnations. I'd find it weird for her to have any other hair color.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #47
The-Shredder
Foot Soldier
 
The-Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Me too. Peter says no though. I just don't get how could someone to look at those pages and covers and not see a biracial woman. She is definitely not Anglo.
To be honest, I've never thoroughly read the comics before, but based on this cover, wouldn't you assume that she looks that way because curly hair was a trend back then? http://www.miragelicensing.com/comic...e01/11/11.html
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,120
I like April being a red-head. Remember April was actually always seen as brunette until the 4kids cartoon gave her the definitive hair color. That's why both IDW and Nick kept the red/orange hair afterward.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #49
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,147
all this talk about a black April makes me wanna draw one for fun ^_^
__________________
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #50
NYShell
Stone Warrior
 
NYShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
Posts: 556
although we've seen race changes at times and the turtle franchise I still feel more comfortable with April staying as a white woman mostly because she's a character that the majority of people care about as opposed to other characters that have less impact
__________________
"All fathers care for their sons."
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #51
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellrider13 View Post
I would do her black, asian ,white. Just saying.
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
all this talk about a black April makes me wanna draw one for fun ^_^
DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYShell View Post
although we've seen race changes at times and the turtle franchise I still feel more comfortable with April staying as a white woman mostly because she's a character that the majority of people care about as opposed to other characters that have less impact
Uh... I'm going to assume you didn't mean this how it sounds. Because the idea that you can't have a pre-existing character be a person of colour if they're "major" and cared about? That doesn't sound great.

April being a person of colour changes absolutely nothing about who she is as a character. I can't imagine what problem there could be with making her a POC, or what valid reason there is for keeping her white, necessarily.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 07-10-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #52
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
DO IT!
Yes sir!!
__________________
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #53
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Currently in Tokyo, Japan)
Posts: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYShell View Post
although we've seen race changes at times and the turtle franchise I still feel more comfortable with April staying as a white woman mostly because she's a character that the majority of people care about as opposed to other characters that have less impact
As a person of color, I can't help but feel slightly offended, but I'm sure the offense caused was unintentional.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #54
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I can't imagine what problem there could be with making her a POC, or what valid reason there is for keeping her white, necessarily.
I can't see what valid reason there is to make her non-white.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #55
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

Personally? I'd love to see a brunette April of any ethnicity.
Ironically, David Wise actually assumed toon April was a brunette. I guess the cel coloring varied enough to give people the impression she was a redhead.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #56
Casey
Stone Warrior
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
To be honest, I've never thoroughly read the comics before, but based on this cover, wouldn't you assume that she looks that way because curly hair was a trend back then? http://www.miragelicensing.com/comic...e01/11/11.html
I have definitely thought about that. Gina Davis-type look and all, but it's the skin tone, the lips as well as other drawings of those first issues of Mirage.
__________________
GOONGALA!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #57
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,672
Black April, redhead April...

__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #58
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'd rather she remained a redhead since that's what she's been in most incarnations. I'd find it weird for her to have any other hair color.
Well she could just as easily be a black woman who dyes her hair red; hey, it worked for Rihanna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
all this talk about a black April makes me wanna draw one for fun ^_^
Would love to see your art if you do, BabyTurtles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYShell View Post
although we've seen race changes at times and the turtle franchise I still feel more comfortable with April staying as a white woman mostly because she's a character that the majority of people care about as opposed to other characters that have less impact
That... came out a little awkward-sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I can't see what valid reason there is to make her non-white.
Why would it matter if she wasn't white though? What's wrong with an April of color? I don't mean that to sound confrontational so please don't think I'm attacking you, I'm just saying - there'll still be all the other versions where April's white. I'm more likely to pick something up if it has non-white or non-het characters - there might be plenty of girls and women out there who would love the idea of a black April.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #59
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,147
Okay I finished XD Black April O'Neil!

__________________
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #60
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist
 
Technogeek29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
Okay I finished XD Black April O'Neil!

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...psb4ca600b.jpg
Nice.


P.S. Wasn't April orginally going to be blonde in the Early Nick Concept art?
__________________
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
april, april o'neil, curious (black), cybercubedtheracist, dc comics, mirage, racist

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.