The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Star Trek: Discovery

Quote:
CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...s-january-2017

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 01-09-2018 at 01:47 PM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Holy $hit, YES! YES YES YES!

Here's hoping they set it after TNG, DS9, and VOY. Make it so, CBS!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

That's cool. I'm not a major fan of Star Trek, but I'll check this out regardless.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Maybe now we'll get that ep where they travel to Dimension X in a far off galaxy
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Maybe now we'll get that ep where they travel to Dimension X in a far off galaxy
Blasphemy against the Holy Federation!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wouldn't it be set in the same universe as the movies? I don't seem them going back to old continuity after the movies rebooted it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I would watch Enterprise first. I agree that the show didn't know what it was for a while, but it is the beginning. I think it does a good job of setting things up, and they deal with so much stuff that's figured out by the time Kirk and his crew are rolling through space, making cargo deliveries and facilitating diplomatic relations. Before the Federation, before the Prime Directive, and before Earth is a big player in galactic society, it really captures the excitement of trekking out into the final frontier.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I'll probably watch this if it's like the new movies.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

The show is now titled "Star Trek Discovery". New teaser trailer here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi_...rek-tv-a143796

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
The show is now titled "Star Trek Discovery". New teaser trailer here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi_...rek-tv-a143796
That felt epic, but that's not a very good ship design. Far too angular.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
That felt epic, but that's not a very good ship design. Far too angular.
Yeah. The nacell placement is totally odd. I guess I can get used to that. Gonna be interesting tho who they cast as the crew.

Apparantly this was a rejected design for the Enterprise.... I can see why.

Last edited by Raph's Girl; 07-23-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Cylons I'm shocked and dismayed. Voyager your least favorite? SKIP IT?! You blasphemer!! Janeway and her crew were among tbe most interesting and well-developed characters, and had the added bonus of being COMPLETELY independant of the Federation since they were stuck flying blind in the Gamma Quadrant. And we got to see Q ask her to have his baby- certainly one of MY most memorable Trek moments, LOL!!

As an aside, no Cy, you're not the only Trekkie here. But I'd just as soon only watch the first couple of seasons of DS9. I got kind of bored with tbe political undertones it constantly threw at us.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

With all this prequel discussion, do you think AbramsTrek should be retconned with this series? Why or why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
With all this prequel discussion, do you think AbramsTrek should be retconned with this series? Why or why not?
I'm OK with it just left dangling as this timeline branch off the main one, but a very big part of me would love seeing, like, the 29th century Starfleet temporal division sorting out Nero upon his arrival into the 23rd century and restoring everything.

The mentioning that Star Trek 4 would have Kirk teaming up with his dad suggests that might even be what they're going to do, but differently. End the Abramsverse with NuKirk sacrificing himself to save his dad and stop Nero right on the Narada's arrival. That, I could get behind. We'd get a definitive beginning, middle, and end of the Abramsverse as well as some purpose to NuKirk. Though with Beyond looking to make less than half of Into Darkness' box office... it might not even happen.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-11-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Cylons I'm shocked and dismayed. Voyager your least favorite? SKIP IT?! You blasphemer!! Janeway and her crew were among tbe most interesting and well-developed characters, and had the added bonus of being COMPLETELY independant of the Federation since they were stuck flying blind in the Gamma Quadrant. And we got to see Q ask her to have his baby- certainly one of MY most memorable Trek moments, LOL!!

As an aside, no Cy, you're not the only Trekkie here. But I'd just as soon only watch the first couple of seasons of DS9. I got kind of bored with tbe political undertones it constantly threw at us.
See, I LOVE DS9. The politics, the wars, the religion, the humanity, the non-Federation of it all.

Voyager bored me. I wish it had been more like Battlestar Galactica (the new version). Nobody ever ran out of photon torpedoes, or gel packs, or dilithium, or anything. It never felt desperate.

I'll watch it for the EMH Doctor and Seven of Nine, but otherwise, snooze.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

DS9 is the best Trek series, then the best episodes of Next Generation, then a mix-up between TOS/Voyager/Enterprise where you cherry pick the good episodes and ignore the trash.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
See, I LOVE DS9. The politics, the wars, the religion, the humanity, the non-Federation of it all.

Voyager bored me. I wish it had been more like Battlestar Galactica (the new version). Nobody ever ran out of photon torpedoes, or gel packs, or dilithium, or anything. It never felt desperate.

I'll watch it for the EMH Doctor and Seven of Nine, but otherwise, snooze.

Are you sure we were watching tbe same episodes?! I remember quite a few times they ran out or had issues with gel packs, dilithium, or photon torpedoes. Not to mention running into several new species that made those things useless. Add in Q's repeated meddling and the Hirogen(sp?) and several encounters with the Borg and species 42-(sorry I forget the rest) and it was quite desperate indeed! The "year of hell" episodes especially. Neelix and Kes were some of the most unique races in Trek, and as you pointed out, both the Doctor and Seven were incredible characters. I'm fond of the friendship between Harry and Tom, B'lanna's conflicted personality (Maquee/Starfleet, human/klingon) and the odd dynamic of Tuvok and Neelix being so close. It was the discovery and interactions I loved. The only things I really enjoyed about DS9 were Quark, Odo, and Dax. Kira at times, but she was often too rigid. And Worf and O'Brien from the TNG crew being there. All the political and religious stuff left me kind of luke-warm. The time-travel episode back to Tribbles was fun though. And Odo playing hide and seek with kids on the station was amusing. He cheats though....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Are you sure we were watching tbe same episodes?! I remember quite a few times they ran out or had issues with gel packs, dilithium, or photon torpedoes. Not to mention running into several new species that made those things useless. Add in Q's repeated meddling and the Hirogen(sp?) and several encounters with the Borg and species 42-(sorry I forget the rest) and it was quite desperate indeed! The "year of hell" episodes especially. Neelix and Kes were some of the most unique races in Trek, and as you pointed out, both the Doctor and Seven were incredible characters. I'm fond of the friendship between Harry and Tom, B'lanna's conflicted personality (Maquee/Starfleet, human/klingon) and the odd dynamic of Tuvok and Neelix being so close. It was the discovery and interactions I loved. The only things I really enjoyed about DS9 were Quark, Odo, and Dax. Kira at times, but she was often too rigid. And Worf and O'Brien from the TNG crew being there. All the political and religious stuff left me kind of luke-warm. The time-travel episode back to Tribbles was fun though. And Odo playing hide and seek with kids on the station was amusing. He cheats though....
They'd run out for exactly one episode. And then be fine again. Never any lasting consequences; every episode hit the reset button and there was never any lasting consequences.

There are plenty of decent episodes in there (mostly regarding the new species, Hirogen, Species 8472, and the Borg), but all of the characters were just too familiar.

Oh, look, another Klingon in Starfleet who's conflicted over his/her parentage.
Oh, look, another freshfaced ensign.

And I hated Kes. Neelix... eh, maybe.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #19
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Stamets is going to be an awkward nerd, because he has a really specialized interest. Calling it now.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

As probably the biggest Trekkie on the 'Drome, they are doing NOTHING to interest me yet.