The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
ChicagoTMNTfan1
Thug

Help for my Book! 1990 Cardbacks!

As some of you may already know, I am currently working on a book all about the original vintage toy line. I know I am probably one in 1 million who is doing this project but any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of some scans showing the 1988 and 89 figures released with 1990 card backs? Specifically looking for characters from 89 like Traag, rat king, metalhead, Genghis frog, leather head, Ace duck and Baxter stockman. I’ve seen ace duck before but can no longer find the image online. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
ChicagoTMNTfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTMNTfan1 View Post
As some of you may already know, I am currently working on a book all about the original vintage toy line. I know I am probably one in 1 million who is doing this project but any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of some scans showing the 1988 and 89 figures released with 1990 card backs? Specifically looking for characters from 89 like Traag, rat king, metalhead, Genghis frog, leather head, Ace duck and Baxter stockman. I’ve seen ace duck before but can no longer find the image online. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
General Traag, Rat King, Metalhead, Genghis Frog, Leatherhead, Ace Duck, and Baxter Stockman were not re-released on 1990 cards like Shredder and Casey Jones were. The only re-releases for those characters were the pop-up mutant display versions from earlier in 1990 and those characters came on the original backers.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
ChicagoTMNTfan1
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
General Traag, Rat King, Metalhead, Genghis Frog, Leatherhead, Ace Duck, and Baxter Stockman were not re-released on 1990 cards like Shredder and Casey Jones were. The only re-releases for those characters were the pop-up mutant display versions from earlier in 1990 and those characters came on the original backers.
I know Casey, Usagi and Krang were. Could’ve sworn Ace was too.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
I know Casey, Usagi and Krang were. Could’ve sworn Ace was too.
There is a factory error Usagi with a 1990 backer, but I have yet to see a Krang reissue made in 1990. The characters I’m familiar with that were re-released in late 1990 or early 1991 on 1990 backers were the characters from the 1990 movie like Foot Soldier, Shredder, Splinter, and Casey Jones. I believe those movie characters were re-released due to the heavy demand for the figures during the 1990 TMNT craze, Turtlemania.

Movie figures were supposed to be released late in 1990, but they were scrapped by Playmates. Instead, the characters from the movie that were already in the toy line were re-released on 1990 backers. Blue stripe April was the hardest to find in 1990 and early 1991, so the orange and blue pocket April was sold. Eventually, orange and blue pocket April became PRESS sign April to the best of my understanding.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-04-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
ChicagoTMNTfan1
Thug

Quote:
There is a factory error Usagi with a 1990 backer, but I have yet to see a Krang reissue made in 1990. The characters I’m familiar with that were re-released in late 1990 or early 1991 on 1990 backers were the characters from the 1990 movie like Foot Soldier, Shredder, Splinter, and Casey Jones. I believe those movie characters were re-released due to the heavy demand for the figures during the 1990 TMNT craze, Turtlemania.

Movie figures were supposed to be released late in 1990, but they were scrapped by Playmates. Instead, the characters from the movie that were already in the toy line were re-released on 1990 backers. Blue stripe April was the hardest to find in 1990 and early 1991, so the orange and blue pocket April was sold. Eventually, orange and blue pocket April became PRESS sign April to the best of my understanding.
What makes Usagi the error? I have a photo of Krang.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
What makes Usagi the error? I have a photo of Krang.
I was going by this link here:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Playma...wAAOSwM~dd9W8Z

I’ve never seen a 1990 Usagi Yojimbo.
There are many listings for the 1990 Krang reissue on Worthpoint, but they were all of the 1989 Krang. I’ll have to search for the characters you mentioned, but I do not believe they were reissued on 1990 backers.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
ChicagoTMNTfan1
Thug

Quote:
I was going by this link here:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Playma...wAAOSwM~dd9W8Z

I’ve never seen a 1990 Usagi Yojimbo.
There are many listings for the 1990 Krang reissue on Worthpoint, but they were all of the 1989 Krang. I’ll have to search for the characters you mentioned, but I do not believe they were reissued on 1990 backers.
How can I upload photos here from my phone?
Old 02-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
How can I upload photos here from my phone?
Create a Photobucket account and then upload your photos onto Photobucket.