The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #1061
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I just can't understand how anyone can think a sequel made by 95% the same people can be considered a total "do-over". It's building on top of the garbage foundation of the first one, is made by the same producers, written by the same writers, with the same characters, the same world, the same designs, the same most things. It can be technically "better" than the last one, but expecting it to be "good" is something else entirely. The idea that people who hated the first movie should give them a free pass on this one is insanity.

I'll just never understand why so many people are giving this movie a free pass because... what, they put Bebop and Rocksteady in it? I can't be that easily impressed. Everything about this production points to the same conclusion as the first -- they're 100% making this to cash in on a brand and sell toys, that's it. There's no real care for the property, no desire to tell a real story with real characters. If they wanted to really try, dig into the source material and do their due diligence, there's a truly great trilogy's worth of material they could do justice. They could make good films if they wanted to. But they don't.

They're following the usual Bay franchise formula -- frame the movie around some big CGI action set-pieces, then fill in the gaps with basically anything and pretend it's a "plot". They could make a movie that appeals to kids and adults if they wanted to, but that would mean spending time and attention on crafting a tight script that brings the fun but also has something of some substance to say... which isn't a priority for Platinum Dunes. But they also don't want to make a "kids' movie" outright and turn off the teenagers and adult teenagers, so they throw some ass shots and/or scantily-clad women in there for good measure, maybe a boner joke or two, and the 13-year-olds (and those with similar tastes) will throw money at them for a couple weeks in the summer.

The only thing that's changed is that they know the last movie was hugely divisive, so now they're cramming this full of Fred Wolf fan-service to dazzle the fans into buying more tickets. I hope it doesn't work, but unfortunately it probably will.

...but hey, it's kind of nice seeing BayTurtles' biggest cheerleaders finally admit to at least some of that movie's colossal flaws, even if they're only doing that while they actively market this thing.
A+. Perfect Post. Doubling down on the Fred Wolf elements was absolutely an act of desperation, and sadly, it looks to be working, since a ton of the people who hated the last one are at least a tiny bit excited and hopeful for the new one. "It's the same people making it." "But... but Casey...!" "It's the same people making it." "But... but Krang... and the Technodrome...!" "It's the same people making it." "But... Bebop and Rocksteady, at last...!!!" "IT'S THE SAME. PEOPLE. MAKING IT."

The worst is the people thinking that maybe those rubes "learned from their mistakes". Take it from someone with a family riddled with addiction problems, people NEVER learn from their mistakes. They just avoid responsibility and shift blame while making all new ones. Say... kinda like what the people making THIS movie are doing! Gee, I never would've guessed.

Yeah, this franchise can burn for all I care.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 01-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #1062
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

I'm dying to shoot a parody cable news roundtable show and use posts from this thread as the dialogue.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #1063
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Stephen Amell explained how his love for hockey prepared him for the role of Casey Jones.

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/26/step...out-of-the-sh/
Old 01-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #1064
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Stephen Amell explained how his love for hockey prepared him for the role of Casey Jones.

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/26/step...out-of-the-sh/
Cool, Here's the quote from it.

"I do skate in Turtles. You see a tiny bit in the trailer, but there's a lot of skating," Amell told ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview at Heroes and Villains Fan Fest in NJ (watch the full interview at the link). "I was familiar with skating, because I grew up playing hockey, because I'm Canadian, and you're basically forced to. But I hadn't put on skates in a hot second, so it took a minute, but I got it."

The full interview.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #1065
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
"You see a tiny bit in the trailer, but there's a lot of skating,"
Now I'm curious about the amount of ice in this film and where.

But, you know... I'm a little surprised now that they shot that early scene at a basketball game, wouldn't a hockey game be a little more fitting in terms of Casey? (Rather than making is a scene with Vern.)
Old 01-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #1066
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Now I'm curious about the amount of ice in this film and where.

But, you know... I'm a little surprised now that they shot that early scene at a basketball game, wouldn't a hockey game be a little more fitting in terms of Casey? (Rather than making is a scene with Vern.)
I hope we get to see Casey use more then just the hockey stick, he would also carry around a baseball bat and a cricket bat.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #1067
Galactus
Foot Elite

I'm pretty sure the skating Amell is referring to will mostly be on roller blades. I realize that the character is shown doing this in the Nickledeon series but certainly it's not done so much that it should be an intrinsic part of any other version. Likewise the visual of Casey on skates in combat and using hockey pucks as projectiles is just one of those things that are too goofy to really work in a live action.

Also it seems the makers of the movie have missed the point that Casey Jones is a sports themed vigilante not soley hockey and even then the theme is only as prevalent as the idea that someone like Casey who is down to earth and rough around the edges fights with anything he can get his hands on be baseball bats, golf clubs, metal pipes. This is the major folly is the movie reimagining Casey as living a much more stable lifestyle. I'm also not sure why they are making a big selling point on how much more faithful to the source material they are being this time while stating they are giving one of TMNT's most prominent characters such as different origin and attitude.

As for the larger discussion I'm sure I've seen a video interview with Jeremy Howard saying they did not have a complete script for the first movie. This was of course in reference to how he believed the sequel will have one.

Of course this seems to be go-to way to try and reassure dubious fans. Somewhat acknowledge that they agree with the detractors that the previous movie was bad and then promise the new has fixed all the problems except they did the exact same thing last time. They acknowledged they had issues with the early development but they were all ironed out. The Blue Door script was from before Bay was involved, the re-shoots were merely due to Megan Fox's pregnancy, the whole Eric Sacks thing was a fake-out and they had a real Shredder all along. We as fans saw through all of that. And yet defenders of the movie derided us saying we were paranoid or stupid and it turns out we were 100% right about everything. Isn't it more than possible that once again we're seeing things exactly as they are.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #1068
sethmartin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Also it seems the makers of the movie have missed the point that Casey Jones is a sports themed vigilante not soley hockey and even then the theme is only as prevalent as the idea that someone like Casey who is down to earth and rough around the edges fights with anything he can get his hands on be baseball bats, golf clubs, metal pipes. This is the major folly is the movie reimagining Casey as living a much more stable lifestyle.
I agree. Unless I missed it, I don't think Casey's origin was ever explored much in the original Mirage comic, certainly not in the 1990 movie. I always assumed Casey was into hockey do to the fact that he wears a hockey mask. I always thought Casey was an interesting character because we DON'T know anything about him. This worked very well in the 1990 movie. He's just some guy who shows up and helps the turtles and we never know where he came from or what his purpose is. I would like to see a Casey Jones spinoff movie at some point, however diving into his origin in a TMNT film seems like a waste of time. Especially since they barely focused on the turtles at all in the last flick.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #1069
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmartin View Post
I agree. Unless I missed it, I don't think Casey's origin was ever explored much in the original Mirage comic, certainly not in the 1990 movie. I always assumed Casey was into hockey do to the fact that he wears a hockey mask. I always thought Casey was an interesting character because we DON'T know anything about him. This worked very well in the 1990 movie. He's just some guy who shows up and helps the turtles and we never know where he came from or what his purpose is. I would like to see a Casey Jones spinoff movie at some point, however diving into his origin in a TMNT film seems like a waste of time. Especially since they barely focused on the turtles at all in the last flick.
Casey didn't really have an origin as such but one the 'modern' Mirage comics gave him a backstory that you could perhaps connect the dots to see why would become a vigilante. It was essentially the same as what he had the 4kids show were Hun and the Purple Dragons burned down his fathers auto shop and the implication he was killed. It was one of the few story elements from another media making it into the comics and it was one of the few Tales of the TMNT v2 I'd whole heartedly recommend to non fans. (IDW also channeled that same origin but with the twist of making Hun Casey's father)

I don't think Casey Jones needs an origin, he's a pretty easy character to understand, he doesn't have any powers to gain, skills to learn or tech to acquire he's just a regular guy that wants to be a vigilante with whatever is on hand however if they were going to give him one I think most fans would prefer the established one particularly the comic presentation of it.

I know that in terms of budget their promise of vastly more screentime for the turtles is a well meaning but empty promise which is why I don't mind some focus on Casey however it seems rich they are making a big sell on the idea that this is drawing from various versions and being true to the source while giving one of the franchise's most important characters such a drastic character makeover.

Another interesting aspect that runs through various Caseys is the implication he was once a professional or almost a professional sportsman until an injury messed that up for him. This new movie's origin that he's stable and has his regular life together seems to be the opposite of Casey's story (such as it is) heck it's pretty much the opposite of most fictional vigilante stories.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-26-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #1070
sethmartin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Casey didn't really have an origin as such but one the 'modern' Mirage comics gave him a backstory that you could perhaps connect the dots to see why would become a vigilante. It was essentially the same as what he had the 4kids show were Hun and the Purple Dragons burned down his fathers auto shop and the implication he was killed. It was one of the few story elements from another media making it into the comics and it was one of the few Tales of the TMNT v2 I'd whole heartedly recommend to non fans. (IDW also channeled that same origin but with the twist of making Hun Casey's father)

I don't think Casey Jones needs an origin, he's a pretty easy character to understand, he doesn't have any powers to gain, skills to learn or tech to acquire he's just a regular guy that wants to be a vigilante with whatever is on hand however if they were going to give him one I think most fans would prefer the established one particularly the comic presentation of it.

I know that in terms of budget their promise of vastly more screentime for the turtles is a well meaning but empty promise so why I don't mind some focus on Casey however it seems rich they are making a big sell on the idea that this is drawing from various versions and being true to the source while giving one if the franchise's important characters such a drastic makeover.

Another interesting aspect that runs through various Caseys is the implication he was once a professional or almost a professional sportsman until an injury messed that up for him. This new movie's origin that he's stable and has his regular life together seems to be the opposite of Casey's story (such as it is) heck it's pretty much the opposite of most fictional vigilante stories.
Exactly. One thing I loved about the 1990 movie is how Casey acted when he first met Raph. He wasn't at all shocked or thrown off in any way to seeing a giant Turtle. He paused for a moment, insulted him, and then proceeded to fight him. To me, this made him seem like he had seen some gnarly shiz in his day to the point that he wasn't shocked by seeing a six foot turtle. This made him a much more interesting character than "Hey, here's his backstory! This is who he is! Get to know him! He's a nice guy hockey player"....soooo boring.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #1071
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
first we gotta find out which console will the game run better, Remember how Out of the Shadows first came on the 360, but came to PS3 later cause they were running into some problems?

I hope the PS4 and Xbox One run the game at 60fps with no issues.
What game. ???
Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #1072
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmartin View Post
Exactly. One thing I loved about the 1990 movie is how Casey acted when he first met Raph. He wasn't at all shocked or thrown off in any way to seeing a giant Turtle. He paused for a moment, insulted him, and then proceeded to fight him. To me, this made him seem like he had seen some gnarly shiz in his day to the point that he wasn't shocked by seeing a six foot turtle. This made him a much more interesting character than "Hey, here's his backstory! This is who he is! Get to know him! He's a nice guy hockey player"....soooo boring.
^^^^^^^
THIS

That subtlety; a bygone era.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #1073
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
What game. ???
I posted that in the wrong forum, my bad.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 01-26-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #1074
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Saw Sheamus post this on Twitter, which was pretty cool.
https://twitter.com/WWESheamus/statu...40702482964482

Awesome #TMNT2 fan art #Rocksteady

Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #1075
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
That is pretty sweet.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #1076
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:

I know that in terms of budget their promise of vastly more screentime for the turtles is a well meaning but empty promise which is why I don't mind some focus on Casey however it seems rich they are making a big sell on the idea that this is drawing from various versions and being true to the source while giving one of the franchise's most important characters such a drastic character makeover.

Giving a long standing fan favorite character that they admittedly forced into the movie an "origin" in this movie is just their excuse to give less screen time to the Turtles.

That's all it is. They're forcing an unneeded origin down our throats, same way they forced Megan Fox down our throats in the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #1077
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Hey, you gotta keep your CGI budget down on your CGI-spectacle summer action movie.

It's just too bad there was no other direction they could have gone with for these movies. There was no other way.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #1078
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd shove somethin' down Megan Fox's throat! HI-YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #1079
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Hey, you gotta keep your CGI budget down on your CGI-spectacle summer action movie.

It's just too bad there was no other direction they could have gone with for these movies. There was no other way.
No. Other. Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'd shove somethin' down Megan Fox's throat! HI-YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Haha oh believe me my friend, I get it.

Spoiler:
A healthy dose of JAYSUS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #1080
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:

It's almost as if you needed to cut corners to save on Money because the CGI is too expensive how about that?

Tags
bantraximus, cybercubed_smells_bad, ninjaplease, trollimus, weedinfestation