The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Coola Yagami
Overlord

OT Talkback thread- Enter the Rat King

Another claissc, and one of the first eps to not have Shredder and still have an awesome villian in his place. And Splinter being controlled to attack the turtles was cool.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Cipher
Foot Elite

"Classic?" It was good, but I don't think any of the episodes so far can be considered "classics" yet. Let the series run a while longer before we decide which ones truly stand the test of time.

Also, how did you see this again so recently? I checked TV Guide and it isn't up for re-runs for a while. Is there a VHS release I missed?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Hordak
Foot Soldier

Yeah I would agree another good classic episode. Rat King is cool character who grew on me as years went by. Wasn't a big fan at first. I like it in the Red Sky seasons when he rocks the hat & trench coat like in Future Shark storyline from Archie comics.
Hordak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher Classic View Post
"Classic?" It was good, but I don't think any of the episodes so far can be considered "classics" yet. Let the series run a while longer before we decide which ones truly stand the test of time.

Also, how did you see this again so recently? I checked TV Guide and it isn't up for re-runs for a while. Is there a VHS release I missed?
1989 is already 20 years ago.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Rat King came across as simultaneously creepy and kooky in this episode. I loved how April kept smarting off to him, like kicking that bowl of slop he was offering her. And seeing Splinter fighting against the Turtles was a very interesting concept. Splinter really was upset that he could be manipulated so easily against those he loved. It's cool they revisited this theme again in "Were Rats from Channel Six." At least that time Splinter got his revenge!

BTW, I recently acquired the UK illustrated story book for this episode. And I also own the manga adaptation of this story. I'll have to post some scans sometime.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Overlord

Sewers

It's one of the best episodes of season three. I liked how it was set in the sewers.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
shreddinghead

OMG! Did the Rat king reply With "You're quite attractive when you're angry. Especially for someone without whiskers." when April kicked the ratatouille Soup bowl? XD
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

The show had already been off air for 13 years when this thread was started.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Pterobat
Hench Mutant

It's still odd how creepy the Rat King comes off as: he's a Fred Wolf villain, but there's something disturbing about him that goes beyond his ability to control Splinter. Especially the crush he seems to have on April.

I guess the whole Pied Piper thing is a little dorky, but even still...

A supervillian able to control Splinter is a pretty cool and scary idea, though. Poor guy.

(I also can't help but notice that Splinter's features are completely different from those of the real rats we see in the sewers.)

BTW, I've never been able to look at the name "Rat King" the same way after finding out that the term was sometimes used to refer to a mass of rats that had become permanently entwined at the tails, sometimes with a lot of bonus disgusting substances. Their veracity is doubted, though.

http://www.weird-encyclopedia.com/rat-king.php

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Icebot
Foot Elite

I remember when the movie Ratottuei came out in 2007, it always reminded me of this episode, when the Rat King tried to serve the ratottuei to April. I used to think the Rat King made up that word until the movie came out.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The thing I like about the Fred Wolf version of the Rat King (at least in his early appearances) is that he's just so strangely content with being lord of the sewer rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterobat View Post

BTW, I've never been able to look at the name "Rat King" the same way after finding out that the term was sometimes used to refer to a mass of rats that had become permanently entwined at the tails, sometimes with a lot of bonus disgusting substances. Their veracity is doubted, though.

http://www.weird-encyclopedia.com/rat-king.php
Good night, that is nasty. Just ewww...

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-15-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I have always wondered and if anyone knows why,of all the villians to be incroporated or created why The Rat King? There were a few others than this 18 month old one-shot. Why make him the #2 villain? Not complaining because I love his character and want to see him as close to this version as possible. Even if "I,Monster" was adapted in the 2003 cartoon I felt jipped that it was not The Rat King but The Slayer, Agent Bishop's inperfect clone.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Pterobat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I have always wondered and if anyone knows why,of all the villians to be incroporated or created why The Rat King? There were a few others than this 18 month old one-shot. Why make him the #2 villain? Not complaining because I love his character and want to see him as close to this version as possible. Even if "I,Monster" was adapted in the 2003 cartoon I felt jipped that it was not The Rat King but The Slayer, Agent Bishop's inperfect clone.
Probably because the Rat King lives in or near the Turtles' home turf and has the potential for some connection to Splinter, so it's easy to write stories about him being an antagonist for the Turtles.

"I, Monster," was a nicely creepy episode, though I wasn't really het up about there not being a "real" Rat King in the 4Kids Universe.

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I know the Nick toon is about to give us a new incarnation of the Rat King, but I would totally love it if we something like WookieDookie Dan's version in official media one day:

http://wonderdookie.deviantart.com/a...King-137612111

(He's got a lot of the Fred Wolf charm but with a whole lot more creepiness!)

View my sketch work!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I know the Nick toon is about to give us a new incarnation of the Rat King, but I would totally love it if we something like WookieDookie Dan's version in official media one day:

It would be a meeting in the middle of '87 cartoon and Nicktoon versions. Just give him boots and a quick shave and I'm fine with it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
shreddinghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post

He reminds me more of Gollum than the Rat King in many ways, his posture for starters.

Last edited by shreddinghead; 01-17-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

Maybe it's just me but I always thought The Rat King should have been English (UK) since he's so close to being the Pied Piper.
Also... he's just disturbing! haha

It's interesting to see the new 2013 Rat King is a bit more bokor looking... almost a zombie

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I just watched the episode.

I know April got kidnapped a lot of time before; but when Rat King carried her on his shoulder in the sewer, with the shadow silhouette on the sewer walls and April's hair flipped over.. the depiction is very creepy to me, very well done.

The jokes are entertaining in Vol.3, in this episode, the one I remembers:

*turtles jumps on April who they assumed an enemy*
April: That's the second time you did that!
Raphael: And we'll keep doing it again till we get it right!

----
*Irma offers herself as hostage instead of April but got rejected*
Irma: Men! They always go for the red heads!
*kicks the Rat King*

And I like that the new TMNT took inspiration from this episode. Master Splinter being mind controlled is fascinating to watch.

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 04-16-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza View Post
Maybe it's just me but I always thought The Rat King should have been English (UK) since he's so close to being the Pied Piper.
Also... he's just disturbing! haha
The Pied Piper of Hamelin is from Lower Saxony acording to Wikipedia.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #20
Taartru
Random Punk

Just rewatched this ep. It was pretty cool not to see shredder in a bit more early episode.

My favourite part was the fight between the turtles and splinter, It was a good concept too.
Taartru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series