The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did Peter get a bad deal with Nickelodeon?
Yeah, bad deal. 4 23.53%
He got a good deal. 7 41.18%
I don't have enough information to say. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #41
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Power Rangers also has like 1,000 episodes, TMNT does not.
Incidentally, the 700th episode of the show in 2009 was also the finale of the Disney era and the only time the show had ever been properly cancelled.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #42
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

PR deal should have been half as much and TMNT should have been double. PR $261 and TMNT $126. One was over-priced and one was underpriced. I mentioned in a different thread I wouldn’t have sold TMNT for less than $100.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

If it sold for $522 million it was for a reason. I'm sure shareholders, lawyers, CEO's and people who work with multiple Japanese companies know more than forum dwellers online.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #44
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Could be truth to that. However some people are better at negotiating than others.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #45
sdp
-

Just because you feel something is worth more/less doesn't mean that's what it's going for. Anyone who can negotiate the things you're proposing would be rich and would always have a job.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #46
veemonjosh
Foot Soldier

Keep in mind that Hasbro didn't just buy Power Rangers from this deal, they also bought a dozen other IPs including My Pet Monster, Julius Jr, and Popples, all of which I could easily see Hasbro making new toylines from. So the amount they spent may not make sense when just looking at it as Power Rangers, but all things taken into account, it's a fair price.
veemonjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #47
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Okay, I understand what you are saying now. Yes, you do have a point of the money-saving of using premade sets, costumes, and props, along with some Japanese footage.
The weirdest thing about all of this, is that I don't understand why they don't just straight up dub the shows. The new footage is probably cheap but it's still a rather unnecessary expense.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:11 AM   #48
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The weirdest thing about all of this, is that I don't understand why they don't just straight up dub the shows. The new footage is probably cheap but it's still a rather unnecessary expense.
At one point during Samurai's production, the showrunner wanted to dub it, but was overruled.

Power Rangers has often been praised for mixing in originality with the source material. It's what sets it apart from Sentai and has led to the more creative and acclaimed seasons like In Space, Lost Galaxy, and RPM.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Because then the actors would all be Japanese. Do you really think a show with all Asian actors would have caught on in the west?

The difference with anime is most anime characters don't look Asian. But this is real people.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #50
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Is "Power Rangers" really worth over 8 times what TMNT is?
Yeah I do think he got a fair deal. Power Rangers is a bigger brand. TMNT at the moment is more on the level of My Little Pony in how big it is. Saban is clever: he was able to re-market a show with minimal cost and make more than it cost to make. There was no way he could break even or have the series underperform. Which leads me onto:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
as much as I hate to say it, it HAS had a new show on for almost 20 years straight. not saying those are good, but that might account for it.
This! I agree with this paragraph. Unlike TMNT Power Rangers is more out there because it's on every year.

Quote:
Power Rangers isn't really an IP itself, it's more like a license to distribute/produce Super Sentai material outside of Japan.
Yes and no. It is a simple matter of distribution however plots and characters are obviously altered by writers on Power Rangers. It's not a simple dub of the Japanese version. In that sense it is it's own IP.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #51
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
TMNT at the moment is more on the level of My Little Pony in how big it is.
I think the latter is far bigger at this time. Its show is going to have atleast 8 seasons, 195 episodes with no indication of wearing out, their own spin offs/IDW comics, had a theatrical film that was a modest box office success and the merchandise completely blows tmnt out of the water in terms of sales etc.

Its a bit sad thinking that tmnt isn't as popular nowdays as some of us tend to subconsciously think it is. The Fred Wolf era was truly something, when tmnt dominated literally everything.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-05-2018 at 12:49 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, TMNT never really managed to have continual overwhelming success like other kids fads like Power Rangers, Pokemon, etc. that literally never stop being popular even with old fans becoming adults and new kids replacing them for the newer incarnations.

In 30+ years we've only had 3 TMNT cartoons, and I'm surprised Nick is starting a reboot so quickly after the 2012 series ended. I expected them to let the franchise rest for awhile.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #53
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Yeah, TMNT never really managed to have continual overwhelming success like other kids fads like Power Rangers, Pokemon, etc. that literally never stop being popular even with old fans becoming adults and new kids replacing them for the newer incarnations.

In 30+ years we've only had 3 TMNT cartoons, and I'm surprised Nick is starting a reboot so quickly after the 2012 series ended. I expected them to let the franchise rest for awhile.
I really get the vibe that Rise of the Tmnt is trying to replicate turtlemania.

Not to say the other tmnt shows didn't try to be popular by selling toys, but Rise seems to take it to another step by making a much more lighthearted show like the show that launched the franchise into pop culture, and making it more accessible to kids by making an episodic show with 11 minute episodes as opposed to the 22 minutes serialized episodes from Nick and 4Kids.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Now Toys R Us is out of business so there's even less place to sell toys now. Basically just Walmart, Target and a few other shows.

Plus kids of today don't play with toys much anymore, they move to electronics like ipads and mobile phones much quicker, or just watch youtube. The days of kids playing with action figures regularly has ended.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #55
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I think the latter is far bigger at this time. Its show is going to have atleast 8 seasons, 195 episodes with no indication of wearing out, their own spin offs/IDW comics, had a theatrical film that was a modest box office success and the merchandise completely blows tmnt out of the water in terms of sales etc.
Not sure. Would you say it's as big as Power Rangers as a brand or Pokemon? If not then it's about as big as TMNT.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #56
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Not sure. Would you say it's as big as Power Rangers as a brand or Pokemon? If not then it's about as big as TMNT.
I'd say tmnt nowdays is comparable to Transformers in terms of Hasbro properties while Mlp is a mini-spongebob of sorts by being Hasbro's biggest cash cow.

If we're talking about tmnt in its prime however, then I'd definetly agree that the current gen of mlp is about as big as Fred Wolf tmnt was back in the day.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Pokemon has grossed more revenue than Star Wars worldwide and that's in half the time since Pokemon didn't come out till 1996 whereas Star Wars came out in 1977 over 20 years before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dia_franchises

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...e-of-33416688/

http://www.tvovermind.com/pokemon/po...wars-franchise

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearn...va&sh=fc06f86d
Old 05-06-2018, 03:00 AM   #58
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Pokemon has grossed more revenue than Star Wars worldwide and that's in half the time since Pokemon didn't come out till 1996 whereas Star Wars came out in 1977 over 20 years before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dia_franchises

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...e-of-33416688/

http://www.tvovermind.com/pokemon/po...wars-franchise

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearn...va&sh=fc06f86d
That's just under 20 years, not over.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #59
BartAllen
Banned

Quote:
Now Toys R Us is out of business so there's even less place to sell toys now. Basically just Walmart, Target and a few other shows.

Plus kids of today don't play with toys much anymore, they move to electronics like ipads and mobile phones much quicker, or just watch youtube. The days of kids playing with action figures regularly has ended.
I'm not sure about much in this thread, but I have a lot of nieces and nephews. None of them played with toys the way I did. They were all much more into their electronic devices.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #60
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I had no idea Power Rangers has been airing new episodes consistently for 20+ years. I guess it does make sense.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote