The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 05:15 AM   #381
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The newspaper strip fired a shot at Slott and Marvel on Sunday. Peter leaves MJ in charge of Ronan the Accuser's unconscious body so he and Rocket can head into the city to battle the Kree Sentry. Rocket tells Peter his mate is quite a catch and Peter responds with "I never could understand why so many superheroes stay single"
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #382
ZariusTwo
Overlord

And loads more MJ variants on the way in June.

Whenever Dan says "never happening", please just don't use one particula word from that sentence.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #383
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
http://media.comicbook.com/2017/03/p...c21-239270.jpg

And loads more MJ variants on the way in June.

Whenever Dan says "never happening", please just don't use one particula word from that sentence.
Saw it (there's also another one with MJ as X-23, with a claw-scratching of her and Peter's name in a heart -- with Spidey himself in the background).

Wonder how the acolytes will explain stuff like this.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #384
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Full Marvel June Solicits

http://www.newsarama.com/33666-marve...citations.html

Hmm...interesting. While Conway has said in the past Peter and MJ will have disagreements but will always emerge from their troubles as a unified whole...I can see maybe Annie coming out of this with Mommy issues, Venom kidnapped her in the original mini-series and it gave her nightmares for eight years. Not sure if she had the same experience in this reality.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #385
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Hmm...interesting. While Conway has said in the past Peter and MJ will have disagreements but will always emerge from their troubles as a unified whole...I can see maybe Annie coming out of this with Mommy issues, Venom kidnapped her in the original mini-series and it gave her nightmares for eight years. Not sure if she had the same experience in this reality.
If Venom's alive here, I doubt the miniseries incident with him happened, although I could be wrong.

The story looks interesting, but I'm a little worried that the circumstances that get MJ with Venom could make her look bad (like she chose to use it despite knowing what a bad idea it was or something). So, I hope it's good and I think Conway has a fair chance of making it work based on the series so far.

The cover artwork is good, if nothing else.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #386
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Had a lot of fun with RYV.

Peter doesn't like the Spider-Fam song, which we know in our own world as the Spider-Pig song from The Simpsons Movie.

MJ and Peter are confirmed to be in their thirties, and Harry is definitely dead.

Betty's getting a lot to do, and boy howdy Normie gets more like his supreme schemer granddaddy every issue. Looking forward to his long game, and I hope RYV last as long as it takes to tell it.

Letters page was good too..with the assistant editor letting us know what a joy it is to work on a book with the marriage. What was that Slott said about the interns of tomorrow not being interested in the marriage today? Yeah, more bunkem, I bet he reads these things in full before they come out and goes off and says the exact bloody opposite to rile fans up
Old 03-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #387
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Had a lot of fun with RYV.

Peter doesn't like the Spider-Fam song, which we know in our own world as the Spider-Pig song from The Simpsons Movie.
Huh?

Quote:
MJ and Peter are confirmed to be in their thirties, and Harry is definitely dead.
Glad that some of that stuff was nailed down, esp. what had happened to Harry and a start at addressing why Normie was in charge of the company.

Quote:
Betty's getting a lot to do, and boy howdy Normie gets more like his supreme schemer granddaddy every issue. Looking forward to his long game, and I hope RYV last as long as it takes to tell it.
Yeah, should be interesting. Worst case scenario (if RYV gets axed before it's time), do you think it'd be better to have a quick wrap-up to the "Project G" story to fit it within the scope of the series, or just leave the whole series as incomplete without risking making a botch job of changing gears too late.

Quote:
Letters page was good too..with the assistant editor letting us know what a joy it is to work on a book with the marriage. What was that Slott said about the interns of tomorrow not being interested in the marriage today? Yeah, more bunkem, I bet he reads these things in full before they come out and goes off and says the exact bloody opposite to rile fans up
I think "no one" is interested (and that "everyone" wanted the marriage gone) is just hyperbole; probably best to read it as Slott doesn't think anyone calling the shots for 616 is interested in a reinstatement and doesn't see that changing. Either way, it's really not his or our call.

Liked the issue overall, although I'm reminded of why I like decompressed comics; the story seemed to move too quickly. Did like that the seemingly one-off story ties into bigger stuff and wasn't just "filler." Also like that the replacement artist managed to capture the look and style that Stegman set with the first four issues.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #388
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Yeah, should be interesting. Worst case scenario (if RYV gets axed before it's time), do you think it'd be better to have a quick wrap-up to the "Project G" story to fit it within the scope of the series, or just leave the whole series as incomplete without risking making a botch job of changing gears too late
Marvel do hate to leave loose ends in doomed comics, they always try to give something closure. I could see maybe an abrupt two-part wrap-up if it ever gets axed.

But it's best we don't speculate on RYV's prospects just yet. I want to really savor what we have right now.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #389
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Marvel do hate to leave loose ends in doomed comics, they always try to give something closure. I could see maybe an abrupt two-part wrap-up if it ever gets axed.

But it's best we don't speculate on RYV's prospects just yet. I want to really savor what we have right now.
I think I'd prefer closure (at least what we have would be something of a complete story in and of itself), but fair enough to not worry about how it'll end when it's still tracking to stay around for awhile.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:44 AM   #390
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I read on CBR that Joe Quesada and Stan Lee are going to be holding a special live Cup O'Joe panel on April 14th in Beverly Hills.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #391
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Really pleased to hear Marvel listed RYV as a success story (alongside Venom) in that retailer summit, even if it hasn't been showing in the sales charts...maybe they're factoring in overall digital sales?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #392
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Really pleased to hear Marvel listed RYV as a success story (alongside Venom) in that retailer summit, even if it hasn't been showing in the sales charts...maybe they're factoring in overall digital sales?
Maybe they were only counting the first issue? I got the idea that the sales they were looking at were from a few months ago. Conversely, they could be taking into account that it's an AU title, which are rarely as successful as the main ones, and saying that it was successful for that. (I find that attempting to use sales to judge success is really hard, given so many variables and that confirmation bias to one's previous views is super easy.)

I do know that on the CBR forums, the pro-OMD crowd is marginalizing the success comment, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes forward.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:30 AM   #393
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I do know that on the CBR forums, the pro-OMD crowd is marginalizing the success comment, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes forward.
Those guys are idiots, I read you schooling them utterly with the overwhelming evidence of support for the Peter/MJ pairing in the medium and alternate universe, if anything proving the s*it they support is the one out of step, and they're acting like a bunch of ostriches about it and reiterating the same points and telling people to "give up", when it seems more like a desperate plea from people who have lost the argument so decisively.

Oh, and give this guy's comic strips a look over, they're pretty funny.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 AM   #395
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So I've seen Slott's latest posts on CBR...shortly after his persistent "this won't happy yadda yadda" responses came up, this dropped...the preview for RYV#6, where the Parker/Watson motto is said to be "family first"

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/artic...o/1100-156445/

Note how Slott times his responses virtually every time something to do with Peter and MJ crops up either within a day or hours. It's a very noticeable pattern.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #396
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Oh crap...is Slott seriously getting into a debate about THE BIBLE on CBR?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #397
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
So I've seen Slott's latest posts on CBR...shortly after his persistent "this won't happy yadda yadda" responses came up, this dropped...the preview for RYV#6, where the Parker/Watson motto is said to be "family first"

Note how Slott times his responses virtually every time something to do with Peter and MJ crops up either within a day or hours. It's a very noticeable pattern.
Funny coincidence, at least. I also find it really interesting that CBR is getting a lot of threads questioning OMD and its philosophy lately.

Quote:
Oh crap...is Slott seriously getting into a debate about THE BIBLE on CBR?
Yeah, another poster brought that up, basically using it to explain why people of that faith would be offended by OMD (deal with the devil, sanctity of marriage, all that). Personally, having the same religious views myself, I do agree with the point, although, since its fiction, I guess I tend to take more ire with the idea itself and that they wrote a bad story to advance their own agenda.

I'm not really sure I get why Slott wants to get involved in these things. His attitude comes across as "I'm tired of this being dredged up again" and "Why are we still talking about this?". Well, it's a fan forum where all sorts of stuff like this get rehashed all the time and its something that been an ongoing debate for ten years now. He's also not obligated to obey the forum posters and supposedly has the support of the majority. I'm not sure what he gets out of debating people on a subject that no one will compromise on.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #398
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I'm not sure what he gets out of debating people on a subject that no one will compromise on.
The answer boils down to a repeating question

"Am I bothering you yet?"
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #399
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The answer boils down to a repeating question

Maybe.

I do know that on the thread, in response to his statement that Marvel doesn't want Spider-Man married and that it won't happen, I did ask why, if that was the case, we have the RYV series in the first place and so much of the branding for the franchise supports Spider-Man and Mary Jane as a couple. He didn't reply, for whatever reason.

We also have the preview, for the next RYV issue. Looks like a fun piece with a lot of character moments, the kind of stuff ASM isn't exactly known for there days.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #400
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Okay, I'm trying to get some clarification:

So One More Day is that story arc where Spider-Man made a deal with Mephisto, and it changed history to where his marriage to Mary Jane was erased and he didn't remember it?

and the Renew Your Vows series is an alternate timeline where that didn't happen, and now he and MJ have a kid with spider-powers?

Do I have that right?

I haven't read a Spider-Man solo series in a while but in Spider-Man/Deadpool there was a story that lead to Spider-Man starting to feel off, empty inside, and it's implied that he will soon remember what happened with Mephisto (thanks, Wade!).
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns