The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

The Overall Opinion of IMAGE TMNT (Vol. 3)

What is the overall fan reaction/opinion of the Image Comics series? Many TMNT fans on other sites/forums don't seem to care for it and ignore it completely, while others hold it as essential. It is out-of-continuity but why? Did Peter Laird not like it?

What are thoughts about this series on the 'Drome?
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Personally, what I did read was alright. Much preferred Leatherhead’s portrayal in it, though not sure what to think about King Komodo. As for the turtles themselves, it may need to take me a few more issues for their design changes to grow on me, even if it does seem to take place in the future.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd honestly have to give it another spin. It's been well over 10 years since I read it properly.

My initial response to just about every issue was, "Oh, god," followed by incredulous laughter. So take that for whatever it's worth.

I will say, that when I was young, and someone said to me, "Image Comics TMNT", I immediately had expectations in mind, and every single one of those expectations was met, and with gusto. For better and worse, it is every bit the comic you'd expect to get from those ingredients in the late-1990s.

I don't think it was drawn to be in black and white, though, that I will say outright. The early issues, especially. Didn't care much for the art.

Actually, given that I haven't looked at it much since I first read it almost 15 years ago, I guess that tells you how deep it grabbed me. But who knows? That was a long time ago. Will I like it better nowadays? Very possibly. Will I actually like it as in enjoy it? Ehhhhh, I'unno, kinda have serious, serious doubts, but who knows?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
LUIS
Random Punk

Mixed feelings, the Savage Dragon crossovers and Splinter turning into a bat arc were all in all pretty boring, how the turtles behaved seem pretty off (they berly care when Donny "die") But I did like what they did with Raph (the most development he has ever had) the Puzzoreli mafia trying to get shadow, Mickey writing a novel and being with Horridus, Letherhead and Dr. X.

I prefer it over Vol. 2 and Vol. 4
LUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

It's a pretty fun comic. It has a quick pace, with a lot of action, while introducing exciting new concepts and following through on them.

I think it goes overboard into corny territory in an attempt to be gritty and mature, but I'm still along for the ride despite that. It's just a lot of fun.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Thanks for the responses. Hope we get more to chime in.

I'm somebody who read every issue of Mirage (Vol. 1, Tales Vol. 1 & 2, Vol. 2 and Vol. 4) and fell MADLY in love with about 1/3 of it and hated the rest.

So, my only exposure to IMAGE TMNT was that first Savage Dragon crossover which I adored because that series for the first year and 1/2 was amazing. It was early on in Dragon's book so the TMNT seemed very Mirage to me. Those first 21 issues plus a mini-series made Dragon my fav. comic of the 90's.

But yeah, I've heard terrible things about Vol. 3

IS IT TRUE that Laird hated Vol. 3 so much that he deemed it non-canon?
Old 07-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I looked up general info about Image in order to confirm that it and Vol. 3 are one and the same. That said, it does seem that way about Laird’s opinion. Why, I don’t know, since it does have the more serious tone he made it clear he prefers over the FW cartoon. Then again, if it was the late 90s, it may have been that he wants to forget about that time altogether, since that period also saw The Next Mutation.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
I looked up general info about Image in order to confirm that it and Vol. 3 are one and the same. That said, it does seem that way about Laird?s opinion. Why, I don?t know, since it does have the more serious tone he made it clear he prefers over the FW cartoon. Then again, if it was the late 90s, it may have been that he wants to forget about that time altogether, since that period also saw The Next Mutation.
Or it could be because they gave 3 of the 4 turtles significant life altering to injuries. At least that's why I dislike it. Don't get me wrong, I give them kudos for having the balls to do such a thing but it was too much for me.
hypered1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Or it could be because they gave 3 of the 4 turtles significant life altering to injuries. At least that's why I dislike it. Don't get me wrong, I give them kudos for having the balls to do such a thing but it was too much for me.
Counterpoint taken, though again, I haven’t read a lot of the issues yet. Hope to soon, though.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #10
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
Counterpoint taken, though again, I haven?t read a lot of the issues yet. Hope to soon, though.
Well dammit, hope I haven't spoiled too much for you.
hypered1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Rest assured, no harm done.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Sadly, no TMNT series is ever consistently good.

Donatello and Leonardo don't get much in the way of character development (unless you count shock value, which I don't)... but, oh, do Raphael and Michelangelo get great character development!

In my humble opinion, both Raphael and Michelangelo have never had such good character development, before or since. Whereas Donatello and Leonardo got a ton of the character development in Mirage Volumes 1, 2, and 4, so it all kinda evens out.

Also, Image Volume 3 was the first TMNT interpretation to give Oroku Saki a daughter, AND the first to give leadership of the Foot Clan to one of Clan Hamato, specifically, Raphael.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Buy the collections IDW put out. The coloring is also surprisingly really good and I honestly prefer it in color over black and white now. Story wise most is pretty great and it fits into the Mirage universe just fine.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #14
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

This is my first time reading Image with the IDW rerun.

Overall, I've enjoyed it. I feel like the middle section with the Image characters and Splinter being a bat was kind of weird, but then Mirage was weird too. The Raph storyline, Leatherhead and his Utrom friend, the followup on Shadow's parentage, that was all pretty cool.

There are some things about the book that are very 90s. That can be a positive or a negative. I do feel the characters can be really uneven and not all the dialogue is that great. The art quality varies between issues too. But that's stuff you can say about parts of the Mirage run too, so...

It's been a fun read. I don't have any problem with it being a canon continuation from Mirage.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
No, not true that he hated it, but true that he later on considered it non-canon which always struck me as a mistake. And during Vol. 3 Laird would approve all the stories and was actively giving Gary notes on things.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:51 AM   #16
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
But yeah, I've heard terrible things about Vol. 3

I've never heard anyone say Vol. 3 was terrible. Where'd you get this from?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:40 AM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

My theory always was that Laird maybe didn't so much hate it, as he probably didn't want to bother with it once it was over. As in, didn't want the hassle of undoing all the mutilations and such to reset the status quo for Vol. 4, didn't want to have to run everything by the people who worked on Vol. 3 for notes and "permission" on how to undo such things to ensure he didn't ruffle any feathers on their end, etc. "So I want Leo to have two hands again, since you wrote the story where he lost one, is this okay with you as a way for me to undo that?" Like, he probably didn't HAVE to check with those people but if he had Vol. 4 be a direct in-canon continuation of Vol. 3, he probably would have felt an obligation to do so, and most likely just did not want to have the conversations at all.

So instead, he just Grant Morrison'ed it because it was simpler. "Oh, that other guy wrote 'Death of the New Gods' and it's completely contrary to what I'm doing in 'Final Crisis'? Eh, just ignore that stuff, then, it's not relevant. MY stuff is relevant, that other stuff is fanfic." Which admittedly ruffles feathers in a completely different way, BUT, was probably a whole lot simpler as a way to move forward.

I also can't speak for every single person, obviously, but among my comics-geek friends back round 2002-3 there had become a very vocal backlash against the Image series, and at that specific moment in time the general consensus about Vol. 3 among a lot of people was that it was terrible - whether it Was or Was Not, that was generally the prevailing attitude about it, with it even being openly dismissed in the various comic magazines and things like that - so Laird more than likely thought that starting Vol. 4 with as clean of a slate as possible was the right thing to do, and you really can't blame him for that, either. Why spend the first few issues of your TMNT restart book undoing/"apologizing" for a previous series that most of the "new" audience didn't read or didn't like? Do we NEED a long explanation about why Don's not a cyborg anymore, or in that context and climate, is it better, or at least easier to say, "Yeah, well... I didn't write that, so ignore it"?

I'd pretty much put money on that being why it was disregarded. Too many things Laird simply didn't want to bother undoing, explaining, or ever referencing again in his own work, and whether he liked it or didn't, it would take too much work to reconcile, for no real reason or point when you can easily just handwave it all, which is what he did. Makes perfect sense to me. I know it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm not sure all that much of value was "lost". In my headcanon Image was one of the Turtles' drunken fever dreams at best.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 07-18-2020 at 03:47 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:03 AM   #18
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I've never heard anyone say Vol. 3 was terrible. Where'd you get this from?
I've been hearing that for years, my man! At least 15 years ago there was a thread on the SuperheroHype and people were doggin' it! Those same people however, didn't like much of what they read of Mirage either but now that the IDW run is out, that's all they can talk about.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:22 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
My theory always was that Laird maybe didn't so much hate it, as he probably didn't want to bother with it once it was over. As in, didn't want the hassle of undoing all the mutilations and such to reset the status quo for Vol. 4, didn't want to have to run everything by the people who worked on Vol. 3 for notes and "permission" on how to undo such things to ensure he didn't ruffle any feathers on their end, etc.
But remember, Laird went on to ironically similarly "mutilate" the TMNT. Don became a cyborg in V3... he became a little guy inhabiting an android body in V4. Raphael got scarred in V3 and now he's a vampire mutant thing in V4. And he certainly never needed permission from anyone to "undo" that stuff... he was the only guy giving permission and his notes and thumbs up the whole way.

But yeah. My suspicion is that when he had the notion to suddenly do V4... something he may have never figured would ever happen... that was a big thing. And while even if he participated in V3 creatively... here was this new chapter. No Image, no Kevin, no anything but him. And I'm not saying that's bad or he's a bad guy for taking that approach... but I get it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:42 AM   #20
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Interesting to read through this.

I have to confess, hearing the Image comics were being continued sort of stunned me because I was under the general impression it was up there with Last Mutation and the Anime as things TMNT fans tend to think best left to the wayside.

Tags