The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Any fans of Wakfu?

I discovered this show a while ago and it's pretty awesome, it's an anime inspired French animated show that it's very well its own thing. It has a fleshed out universe that makes Avatar The Last Airbender feel lacking. If you like Fantasy or adventure shows then go for it, you're in for a treat. A review of the original run of Wakfu, review of the revival wakfu sequels and the Dofus wakfu spin-off series.

The third season just released on Netflix, I personally prefer to watch it in French but it has an English dub, the viewing order is:
S1 - S2 - OVAs - S3

Easily one of the best shows ever made and extremely underrated since barely anyone knows about it.

There's also some specials that give background on the villains of season 1 and 2. A prequel show called Dofus with different characters which is aimed at younger audiences but it's still a lot of fun and a movie based on this prequel show. There's a few games/MMOs that build up the lore and comics but I've never read them.

Last edited by sdp; 06-09-2020 at 08:42 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

I like it! It's not on Avatar's level though....(Writing wise) but it's still pretty neat!

The fight scenes are pretty amazing~ Pinpin is the best!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Its a good show the writing is great in a few instances and meh on most, however what sells me on the series the most is the aesthetics almost every character great design to them and the backgrounds are flat out gorgeous. The fight scenes and animation are pretty good too and the fact its animated in flash is icing on the cake for me. If you want more good French Animation check out Lastman

Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Season 3 so far is more interesting than the OVAs at the very least. Of course those movies are essential to even understand S3.

I'm glad they haven't toned down the show too much after getting the Netflix deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
I like it! It's not on Avatar's level though....(Writing wise) but it's still pretty neat!

The fight scenes are pretty amazing~ Pinpin is the best!
Well I said above Avatar level when it came to world building, as far as writing I think Avatar has higher highs but I prefer the Wakfu world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Its a good show the writing is great in a few instances and meh on most, however what sells me on the series the most is the aesthetics almost every character great design to them and the backgrounds are flat out gorgeous. The fight scenes and animation are pretty good too and the fact its animated in flash is icing on the cake for me. If you want more good French Animation check out Lastman

http://www.9emeart.fr/uploads/images/large/20859.jpeg
I am looking at French animated shows to practice my french but I don't know that one doesn't seem like it's up my alley.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I remember watching the first episode, but I guess it didn't really clicked with me.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well I said above Avatar level when it came to world building, as far as writing I think Avatar has higher highs but I prefer the Wakfu world.
I see what you mean~
I like Wakfu for it's creative world and different types of races ^_^ They are all so interesting!
Though avatar feels more contained and easier to follow which I appreciate ^_^

One thing I don't care for in Wakfu is Yugo...I like his powers, but not his personality...he feels boring to me...I really like Eva and Pinpin's story~ they are very developed and I feel more invested in their lives.

btw have you ever seen Dofus treasure of Kerubim? That was a fun series! XD
Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I was thinking and yeah the writing is nowhere near Avatar, but still the animation and world are so fun I prefer it over Avatar. If it had Avatar level writing it truly would be the best show ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
One thing I don't care for in Wakfu is Yugo...I like his powers, but not his personality...he feels boring to me...I really like Eva and Pinpin's story~ they are very developed and I feel more invested in their lives.
Yugo is the stereotypical hero so a bit boring but so is Aang, and yes Aang is better but in general I don't like main characters too much. It's so weird that we meet them when they're teenagers and now Pinpin is a father of 3. I definitely like Amalia, Eva and Rubilax the best though.

Quote:
btw have you ever seen Dofus treasure of Kerubim? That was a fun series! XD
I sure have and I was told many times to skip it but when I checked it out anyway and enjoyed it a lot even if it's very different. I also think I should've watched this series first before their appearance in Wakfu since I didn't care about them before but now I did. I didn't care for the movie however.

Last edited by sdp; 04-15-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yugo is the stereotypical hero so a bit boring but so is Aang, and yes Aang is better but in general I don't like main characters too much. It's so weird that we meet them when they're teenagers and now Pinpin is a father of 3. I definitely like Amalia, Eva and Rubilax the best though.
I never felt Aang was boring...He's actually one of my favorite characters in Avatar ^_^ Usually I'm not to fond of the main characters in these types of shows, but Aang really worked for me.

I have to wonder about Amalia though...why do you like her? She came off has having way to many flaws for me...I can never tell what would set her character off or when she would be compassionate. Just to note I love bratty characters and usually pick them as my favorite but Amalia just didn't work for me....(I like her design though~)

I know some other people like her so I just wanted to know why that was?

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 04-16-2018 at 02:47 PM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Her personality is cute and she's a stereotypical but cool "princess who gets her hands dirty" trope, she has cool powers, a cool character design and feisty.

How old are they even supposed to be in season 3? Yugo looks the same but everyone else has aged up . Weren't most of the cast teenagers in season 1? And now they have kids yet yugo is not even a teenager yet, or at least he doesn't look like it. I mean Ruel not aging is logical but still.

Whatever happened to Yugo's pet Tofu? I swear he had one i previous seasons, at least in the first one.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 PM   #10
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
How old are they even supposed to be in season 3? Yugo looks the same but everyone else has aged up . Weren't most of the cast teenagers in season 1? And now they have kids yet yugo is not even a teenager yet, or at least he doesn't look like it. I mean Ruel not aging is logical but still.
Isn't Yugo said to be sorta immortal? Like he will look physically 12 for a long long time? I think an episode said that.
Everyone is in there 20's though~ except Ruel of course ^_^
Old 04-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, it's addressed in an episode and well I finally finished Season 3. As with anything after season 1 there's a lot of cool stuff and a lot of decisions I didn't like.

I didn't understand the ending very well either. Now let's see how many years for Season 4

Are you or anyone with the comics? should I check them out?
Old 06-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
I didn't understand the ending very well either. Now let's see how many years for Season 4

Well Season 4 is being kickstartered, hopefully it reaches it and considering the cult fanbase I'm guessing it will. Excited as hell, best universe created since Avatar The Last Airbender.