The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #9921
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I feel bad for Wii U owners. Imagine how they feel. Not only the Wii U died fairly early but its games are already getting ports for the newest Nintendo console. Man, I'm glad I never bought a Wii U in the end. Besides, most of its best games have 3DS ports nowadays.
Feeling bad for WiiU owners is just silly and dumbfounded tbh. You're not an owner so you don't really understand. I got the games that I want, lots of exclusive gems on it.

Some of my favs :
- Bayonetta (Remake)
- Bayonetta 2
- Super Mario 3D World
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Mario Maker
- Super Smash Bros
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Remake)
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- New Super Luigi U
- Mario & Sonic Olympics

I'm a happy WiiU owner and I'm excited for Switch (plan to get it later this month!). I also own 3DS, Vita, and even ms and sony consoles.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:58 PM   #9922
sdp
-

I'm a Wii U owner and feel incredibly burned by it and not because of the lack of games just the incompetence of Nintendo at doing anything that is consumer-friendly, they know they can do whatever they want and their fanbase will go along with it. I love Nintendo for the way they are but I also hate the way Nintendo is.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #9923
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm a Wii U owner and feel incredibly burned by it and not because of the lack of games just the incompetence of Nintendo at doing anything that is consumer-friendly, they know they can do whatever they want and their fanbase will go along with it. I love Nintendo for the way they are but I also hate the way Nintendo is.
Exactly. And that's also a reason why I'm on the fence regarding the Switch.

It's like Nintendo take as many back and side steps as they take steps forward.

And just thinking that people complained a lot about Nintendo back in the N64 and GameCube days.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #9924
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
I feel bad for Wii U owners. Imagine how they feel
Ugh. There's no need to feel sorry for me. I don't regret buying a Wii U at all. My collection of games isn't huge, but I enjoy the ones I have for it. It's not like I spend 99.99999999% of my time playing video games anyway, and I don't rely solely on video games for entertainment. People like sdp may regret owning a Wii U, but I'm sure as hell not going "woe is me" about it. This pity garbage is sickening.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 AM   #9925
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Maybe buy some decent games then:

Smash Bros U
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario U
Captain Toad
Yoshi's Wooly World
Paper Mario Color Splash
Hyrule Warriors
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Kirby: Rainbow Curse
Xenoblade X
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101

etc.

Wii-U had plenty of games.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #9926
sdp
-

I've posted it a few times but I'm just burned on the way things were handled. They launched a system that wasn't ready and they're doing the same now. No VC, no apps, missing features, hardware problems etc. Will those things be fixed? I think so,t hey were fixed for the 3DS and Wii U eventually but it took months/years and by then the product was cheaper. Early adopters got burned. I have nothing against early adopters, I love being one and the downsides include being a beta tester but Nintendo has taken it to another level where they outright take anti-consumer decisions and don't care.

I really want to get a Switch now but I know I'm better off waiting as Nintendo doesn't care if you get left out in the cold for supporting them first. I'm done with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Ugh. There's no need to feel sorry for me. I d
People like sdp may regret owning a Wii U,
I don't think he meant he feels sorry literally more of bad the way Nintendo handled the generation. I don't regret getting a Wii U, I never said that. I mostly used it as a set up box but I got plenty of enjoyment out of using it that way even with, I just don't trust Nintendo anymore. I do regret getting the Wii U at launch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Maybe buy some decent games then:

etc.

Wii-U had plenty of games.
I literally said in my post you quoted "and not because of the lack of games", I have more than enough games on my Wii U than time to play them that doesn't mean I can't feel burned.

but if I must...I own most of the "must have" Wii U games and I'm happy with the games but when you see that most of the list that you just posted had ports/enhanced versions or extremely similar versions on 3DS you think Nintendo could've done more. It was mostly done to be able to get twice the bang for the same buck and have constant releases than starting from scratch with each time. Switch getting enhanced versions of a few of those games makes you feel unappreciated by Nintendo, a Beta tester that pays.z

It's not whether the Wii U had stuff to play, it did, even with the complains above. It's more of Nintendo treating fans poorly that I feel burned by the Wii U.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #9927
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 3DS ports are usually inferior to the previous versions. The only reason they're even doing that is to fill in some gaps on the 3DS release schedule because the 3DS is also going to be dead by the end of 2017.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #9928
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The 3DS ports are usually inferior to the previous versions. The only reason they're even doing that is to fill in some gaps on the 3DS release schedule because the 3DS is also going to be dead by the end of 2017.
Well yeah, I mean, for one thing, the 3DS has a smaller screen. I'm sure that Smash and Hyrule Warriors are more fun on the Wii U but whatever. As for Mario Maker, a shame you can't just upload your levels online and gotta wait for a spotpass encounter for one of your levels to be played by someone else, but at least I'm able to play the game without needing to buy a Wii U.

Dead?! Pretty sure Nintendo said earlier this year that they weren't gonna kill the 3DS yet. What sense would it make considering that handheld is a huge success, they've been adding more VC games, the New 3DS came out in 2014-2015 and , I assume, Pokémon Sun and Moon have been selling very well? Or is this just your theory?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #9929
CyberCubed
Overlord

2017 is the last year for the 3DS, basically whatever titles were still in development for it are coming out and nothing new beyond that. Nintendo is largely stopping development of 3DS software and most third parties have moved on.

The Switch is the successor to both the Wii-U and 3DS.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #9930
Dust
Foot Soldier

Man, Breath of the Wild is amazing, but one thing: **** Lynels
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #9931
sdp
-

They might not be exactly the same games Cubed, but they're similar experiences which can hold someone over instead of forking moolah for a new console if they're getting almost the same games in the device they already own.

Quote:
Dead?! Pretty sure Nintendo said earlier this year that they weren't gonna kill the 3DS yet. What sense would it make considering that handheld is a huge success, they've been adding more VC games, the New 3DS came out in 2014-2015 and , I assume, Pokémon Sun and Moon have been selling very well? Or is this just your theory?
Nintendo says a lot of things, you can't take it literally. It makes sense because the console is not selling much anymore, it did get a big sales bump thanks to Sun and Moon but a new generation of Pokemon games doesn't come out every year. I see the 3DS having its last hoorah this year. They're only sticking with it in case the Switch bombs like Wii U and they can recover by releasing a new handheld but if Switch is selling well they'll likely keep a few games coming for 2018 as well.

Who knows what they're thinking, that's my theory but Nintendo is known to be unpredictable since they make moves that don't make any business sense plenty of times.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #9932
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Man, Breath of the Wild is amazing, but one thing: **** Lynels
They're back? I wonder how they look in 3D.

Since this is the Nintendo discussion thread, I thought I'd let you guys know that Reggie Fils-Aime will be on CBS This Morning on Friday.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #9933
Prowler
Emperor

So what sort of games in specific would you like the Switch to have?

I'd love to see F-Zero making a comeback after all these years. The Wii and the Wii U didn't even have a single F-Zero game. Hell, there hasn't been an F-Zero game since 2004. About damn time, no? Although, I gotta say I really doubt that F-Zero GX can ever be topped. That game was the best in the franchise by far. All of the F-Zero games are good, imo. OK, SNES F-Zero is clearly dated and feels barren nowadays, and even back in the day it was silly how it didn't have a 2 player mode(how can a racing game not have one?), but it sure was a pretty fun and even somewhat innovative game back in the day. And has the most memorable OST of every F-Zero game, imo.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #9934
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ugh. There's no need to feel sorry for me. I don't regret buying a Wii U at all. My collection of games isn't huge, but I enjoy the ones I have for it. It's not like I spend 99.99999999% of my time playing video games anyway, and I don't rely solely on video games for entertainment. People like sdp may regret owning a Wii U, but I'm sure as hell not going "woe is me" about it. This pity garbage is sickening.
I dont feel bad for owning a Wii U either, pretty decent investment for what it was worth. It's funny how only NIntendo can mislead people though.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #9935
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
So what sort of games in specific would you like the Switch to have?
Just give me some Metroid and Star Fox, and I'm cool. Maybe another Zelda game too, but we'll see.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #9936
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Just give me some Metroid and Star Fox, and I'm cool. Maybe another Zelda game too, but we'll see.
Usually, when a Nintendo console gets two Zelda games, the last one comes out right near the end of said console's life.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #9937
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
They're back? I wonder how they look in 3D.
Scary! Very very scary!

I stumbled upon one by accident pretty early on when I was grossly unprepared. Got my heart goin' something fierce.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #9938
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I'm all for a new Metroid and Star Fox, If they don't force some gimmick on them.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #9939
Prowler
Emperor

It seems the Star Fox series isn't very popular nowadays. It's a shame because that franchise had a lot of potential to become one of Nintendo's top franchises. The first ever Star Fox game was pretty good at the time and Star Fox 64 is probably the most quotable video game of all time, with even "Do a barrel role!" being a fun Easter egg on google. But I guess the GameCube titles held down the franchise a bit. Assault, in particular, wasn't very well received by fans and critics alike, and Adventure wasn't even originally meant to be a Star Fox game. Dunno how people in general felt about Star Fox Zero but I saw several complaints about it being pretty short for a modern game.

But really, think of all the untapped potential of the Star Fox series. Nintendo consoles aren't particularly notorious for having games where you have to constantly shoot enemies. So surely Star Fox could, in theory, satisfy the needs of those who like playing military games and shoot up spaceships? Star Fox also has good cartoon/anime potential, I feel. Hell, now that I think about it, Nintendo have missed tons of opportunities to seriously tap into animation. OK, Pokémon is a huge hit and there has been a short lived Zelda cartoon which is only notorious for the "EXCUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS!" line and some Mario cartoons and anime shorts. As for live action stuff... well the Super Mario Bros. movie was pretty poorly made.

But really, if done right, I'd be VERY open to a decent animated film based of a Nintendo property that's not Pokémon. I know that adapting a video game into a cartoon/anime isn't that easy to pull off, but hell have any of you read Zelda mangas? Ocarina's and Majora's were pretty alright for what they were, imo.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #9940
CyberCubed
Overlord

Jesus, the puzzles in the new Zelda remind me of Portal.