The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #41
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

I think these number spell doom for the franchise on the whole, and you should worry about them a lot.

DOOOoooOOOOOOOooOOOOOoOOOOOoOOooOOOOoooOOOM!

Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

Shame people skipped #5. I guess now we're going to see who the true fans are and who just picked up the early issues out of curiosity.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #43
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Yeah you'd think with #5 introducing the colored bands that woulda at least kept some of those casual fans around for 1 or 2 more issues.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #44
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Shouldn't real fans just be people who think the comic book is actually good?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
Yeah you'd think with #5 introducing the colored bands that woulda at least kept some of those casual fans around for 1 or 2 more issues.
I think believing the rainbow bandannas would be any kind of sales tie-that-binds is fallacy. And I think the sales charts are going to prove that.

The interesting part will be to see if sales actually go down after the switch.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #46
azrael
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The interesting part will be to see if sales actually go down after the switch.
Even if it does... Did they go down because the color change or the 1st arc is done and they dont like it?

We will never know either way.

I dont think IDW drops a book unless its in the 7-9k range. most of their books sell 12k (I am going on memory from when the TMNT were announced)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

I am more curious how the Raph special sold simply because it is separate from the on-going. It'll be interesting to see if the rest of the specials sell as well as the main series.

It'd probably indicate whether we might get regular mini-series from IDW afterward.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #48
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Wait, you guys don't even know the actual numbers yet. #5 sold over 20K. Compare apples to apples. Check how many other indy comics other than Walking Dead and Buffy sell over 20K at issue #5. The book is doing great.

People aren't going to pick up or drop the book because of the bandanas. They're going to pick up or drop the book based on whether they are enjoying the overall story. To the vast majority of people, bandanas don't enter into it one way or another.

Numbers will continue to go down, because that's what happens for 97% of all books. The question is how fast. So far the are holding very steady. Everything is going way above expectations. So be happy!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
Coola Yagami
Overlord

but.... we're ninja turtle fans... WE DON'T WANNA BE HAPPY!!!!

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think some people here don't realize how comic sales actually work....all ongoing series have a normal decline after a big start. Its just hoping it doesn't dip THAT much to cause any problems.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #51
azrael
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Wait, you guys don't even know the actual numbers yet. #5 sold over 20K. Compare apples to apples. Check how many other indy comics other than Walking Dead and Buffy sell over 20K at issue #5. The book is doing great.

People aren't going to pick up or drop the book because of the bandanas. They're going to pick up or drop the book based on whether they are enjoying the overall story. To the vast majority of people, bandanas don't enter into it one way or another.

Numbers will continue to go down, because that's what happens for 97% of all books. The question is how fast. So far the are holding very steady. Everything is going way above expectations. So be happy!
Agreed on so many levels... I guess what happens here is the more "committed" fans are worried since they have had the rug pulled out from them multiple times, along with personal preferance.

I came late in the game Vol4 just released 29 or 30(? which ever has casey on the cover). So I never had to wait and wonder if/when and discuss and issue to death. I hope PL finishes vol 4, I hope Eastman and Laird would team up one last time to put a final cap on the Mirage publishing, and I hope for you guys to gain new success with the TMNT.

I am not worried as when working with the indy publishers the numbers, cancellation line, and everything sale wise is lower than DC/Marvel. I will say this, you guys put out a quality book from paper, story, and art (atleast with TMNT and GB) its just a higher grade.

The only thing I wished you did is have something like DC's website when it comes to browsing comic releases.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #52
azrael
Mad Scientist

TMNT came in spot #102 according to previews world.

Awesome Job once again IDW
Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #53
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Shame people skipped #5. I guess now we're going to see who the true fans are and who just picked up the early issues out of curiosity.
I would not say a person is not a true fan because they dropped the IDW book. I am a huge fan of the TMNT,but my primary interest is pretty much everything that isn't the black and white comics. It depends on the story like Bobby said. Is it the type of turtles that I enjoyed in the two cartoons and Archie comics. What characters will interact with the TMNT. What is the characterization of each turtle like. That sort of thing.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

So how did Raphael sell?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #55
azrael
Mad Scientist

you would have to ask IDW tmnt #5 was their top selling comic, that's what? 5 months in a row?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #56
azrael
Mad Scientist

rank index title est.Qty

102 14.72 TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ONGOING #5 19,689

109 13.97 TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO SERIES #1 RAPHAEL 18,686

130 11.91 TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO SERIES #2 MICHELANGELO 15,930

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/21881.html
Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #57
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Azrael, has there been any news about the micro-series coming to trade?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #58
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

About a 1000 copies exactly between Raph and the main series, a little surprised on that one, I wonder if that factors in reorders, I think it sold out pretty much everywhere from the sounds of things. The 5 shops around me were out of it by Friday the week it came out.

I'm also surprised by the big drop off by the Mikey book, I think there might have been a lot of people on the fence that passed based on the cover, which I think fit perfectly for the story, but I know there were a lot of people who were put-off by the art going in.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #59
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandraph87 View Post
Azrael, has there been any news about the micro-series coming to trade?
Yes they are going to collect all 4 Turtle micro series issues in one trade. So it'll be a while before the Trade hits since the Leo book is still a couple of months off.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hm, on the one hand... between #4 and #5, the book lost over 3,000 readers. On the other, IDW TMNT at large (combining TMNT, Raphael #1, and Michelangelo #1) sold 54,305 copies in the month of December... and that's pretty massive, and the relatively close number between the core book and its specials probably have proved that such specials have sealegs. Also on the positive side, #5 still sold more copies than TMNT #2.

Also, I was looking back at an old blurb from Dan Berger -- and now, this has absolutely zero bearing on any comic book sales right now of any book, anywhere at any publisher right now -- it might interest people to know that, at its peak, TMNT Adventures at Archie was selling 400,000 copies an issue.

Also, a very true quote: "Comics sold well when they were 'cheap entertainment' - when they started costing a small fortune, kids (and/or their parents) migrated to more affordable entertainment and all that was left were 'addicted' adults, and that's where the death by attrition began."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion