The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #1081
Wildcat
Foot Elite

So we have Longclaw, the Echidnas (or whoever’s in the tree) and a lizard warrior said to be after Sonic’s power. He’s shaping up to have a nice backstory. They could have easily just left it a mystery or waited for a sequel.

I know there’s the trilogy rumor but don’t want to get too excited.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 AM   #1082
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I know there’s the trilogy rumor but don’t want to get too excited.

Do you happen to know the source of the rumor?

Lol. Shouldn't it be 2020?

On a relatable note, some of the storyboards have been posted on Instagram.

Spoiler:

Is ... Is this supposed to be Sonic?!

Last edited by Papenbrook; 01-09-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #1083
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It will be pretty interesting to see if this thing really can do a full 180 from the general consensus of, "Who booked this sh*t?" into most people being generally excited about it, based solely on the redesign.

I mean, originally most people were against the entire project on principle, and the fact Sonic was hideous was just a "bonus". Now that Sonic looks a lot better, people seem genuinely looking forward to it. All the "video game movies are always terrible" and "Nobody cares about Sonic anymore" arguments have gotten very, very quiet, even though they're still perfectly valid talking points. The entire conversation now is only about, "He looks a lot better, so perhaps the movie will be good after all."

It's interesting. Is everything REALLY as simple as the visuals? I kind of suspect so.
I think it's the fact that the people making this very openly and unashamedly confessed to getting it wrong with the design and a huge gesture of fixing it for the fans got this movie a lot of good will. You don't have to know anything about the mechanics of Hollywood to know overhauling the design would not cheap or easy - you just don't see that kind of effort to please the fanbase after a such a huge **** up.

The movie has been compared in many ways to TMNT 2014 in terms of fan response and we've been told people at Paramount used the "success" of that movie in spite of the criticism as an excuse not to change Sonic. The tactic with that movie was to very publicly and unashamedly tell the fans "we hear you...but you're WRONG. These designs are so much better than the old ones. The old designs would never work in live action cgi, once you see it you'll agree and if you don't you're a loser".

It wasn't just the designs but the story, the tone and damn near everything that fans were bothered by was met with this response and when they did make changes to the movie they didn't use the opportunity to change it for the fans but correct all the stuff Bay didn't like about it.

Likewise if you look at the Sonic movie the first trailer made the movie seem just awful in all the same ways and now subsequent trailers are much better. Whether that is because the marketing is focusing on different aspects or (as many suspect) since they are changing the main characters design itself might as well change the story and tone as much as they can. Again you don't see that kind of effort being put in to other movies.

I don't know if the movie will actually be good but because of all of the above I went from "no one wants this" to quietly rooting for it.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #1084
Leo656
The Franchise

All fair points and well-spoken. For my part, I suspect that the movie itself was and is probably terrible in a lot of ways beyond just the original Sonic design, so it just makes me chuckle that a fresh coat of paint is all it takes to get the masses to go full cheerleader.

Also, yeah, nice gesture in "listening to the fans", but they also crunched the workers to death and then fired them right before Christmas, so as usual, No Good Guys in this situation. If they'd used common sense in the first place, it all could've been avoided. That's the real tragedy of it. They blew a ton of money and wasted a ton of time on a design and a strategy that anyone with two eyes could've told them was a huge mistake. And it cocked-up the whole damn thing.

...Just like BayTurtles.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #1085
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
All fair points and well-spoken. For my part, I suspect that the movie itself was and is probably terrible in a lot of ways beyond just the original Sonic design, so it just makes me chuckle that a fresh coat of paint is all it takes to get the masses to go full cheerleader.

Also, yeah, nice gesture in "listening to the fans", but they also crunched the workers to death and then fired them right before Christmas, so as usual, No Good Guys in this situation. If they'd used common sense in the first place, it all could've been avoided. That's the real tragedy of it. They blew a ton of money and wasted a ton of time on a design and a strategy that anyone with two eyes could've told them was a huge mistake. And it cocked-up the whole damn thing.

...Just like BayTurtles.

As much as I disapprove of both this film and Paramount's/Sega's actions surrounding it, I don't think they themselves actually laid any workers off.

The Technicolor executives, who had operated the now-defunct Moving Picture Company VC, were the ones who had decided to dismiss the workers. And, from what I heard from second-hand sources, the company as a whole was rather poorly run. In addition, I have not heard any deaths that occurred on the job/project itself.

Still scummy, either way.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #1086
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, in my own defense, "______ to death" is merely an expression.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #1087
Wildcat
Foot Elite

That effects studio was obviously going to get shut down regardless. They were probably just about to do until the delay. Surely they got paid for their work.

The design situation aside Green Hill, nonhuman characters, and whatever else they put in based on his planet/games were clearly part of the story to begin with because we read about it. Those could not have just been added.

If it was just Sonic and nothing else people would complain about that too. Saying they didn’t bother to use anything from his past.

I watched a YouTube video where the guy complained they just made up a new character to stick in the movie...like the games have not been introducing new characters in almost every single installment starting with Tails?
Old 01-10-2020, 01:08 AM   #1088
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Apparently, the stunt team gave away one of their beanies.

Spoiler:

They must want to forget this ... as soon as possible.

EDIT: So, this is interesting.

Spoiler:

If course, this could just be some form of damage control.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 01-17-2020 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #1089
Galactus
Foot Elite

Sure, we could berate the makers of the Sonic movie for getting it wrong on their first try but I'm realistic enough to know that there are certain properties that are harder to interpret in a live action movie.

Would the classic design just look ridiculous in live action? How much do you change it before it doesn't look like Sonic anymore? Then there's question of the canon? Which (if any) do they use and I can appreciate it all sounds a bit too 'out there' even in the current movie going environment which accepts a talking raccoon as a compelling character.

I'm a lot less forgiving when it comes to TMNT because they had the 1990 movie which was an almost impossibly perfect template to show what works with this property in movie form. Even then I accept there are question marks over certain designs and concepts; people are always going to ask how people will tell the turtles apart, the whole rat knowing ninjutsu are just too examples. So even with turtles I get it...somewhat.

When they knew what they did was thought of as garbage they could have changed things. I appreciate that changing the designs of four (six if you count Splinter and Shredder) would be a tall order but a lot of the story could have easily been fixed. It was never going to be good but it could have been passable as TMNT movie. Those re-shoots could have easily been used to tweak the story to something people wanted instead they changed it to what Michael Bay wanted.

The makers on Sonic The Hedgehog at least listened and understood were they were going wrong whether they've course corrected enough remains to be seen but everyone involved with the 2014 movie just did a huge middle finger to everyone who pointed out they were headed in the wrong direction and when they had a golden opportunity to course correct have us all a huge middle finger again.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-11-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:15 AM   #1090
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

The marketing is ... all over the place.

Spoiler:

If they didn't even plan out the whole thing, then Paramount shouldn't have even ATTEMPTED to film this in the first place.

... and, yet they did it ... for the money ...
Old 01-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #1091
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I got a Sonic Movie shirt from Sega Shop.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 01-11-2020 at 08:33 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #1092
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
The marketing is ... all over the place.

If they didn't even plan out the whole thing, then Paramount shouldn't have even ATTEMPTED to film this in the first place.

... and, yet they did it ... for the money ...
Some of those toys are obviously based on the old design and they're too lazy to go back and re-do them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #1093
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well it’s not lazy they were probably made way in advance. Manufacturers got designs a long time ago. Those toppers were shown awhile back.

That plushie isn’t the best but there’s gonna be different ones from other companies. The best so far imo is the talking one but the release date is May/August. That’s gotta be an error.

I love the merchandise being be split though. It’s more fun. I really want a first design plushie or figure. A quality one. Accurate to the first trailer.

Let’s not forget the possible toys based on the lizard, owl and tree characters.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #1094
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The movie is officially rated PG for action, some violence, rude humor and brief mild language.
https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/sta...48991219453952

Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #1095
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Well, at least promotion has started.

In the United States:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Papenbrook; 01-16-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #1096
Leogeddon
Stone Warrior

I personally can't wait to go see it. Sonic definitely looks amazing now.

Click me for group discussion!
Leogeddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #1097
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

There are more ads.

Spoiler:

It's also being promoted in Mexico.

There's a (near) full-body image of Dr. Robotnik.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 01-17-2020 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #1098
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

New Motion Posters.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7ZKSTwHRqm/
Old 01-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #1099
AquaParade
Banned

Not really sure what happened to my love of Sonic or if I just have no faith in this film, but I have very little desire to see it. Sonic was always sort of a main-stay for me growing up, between the games, animations, figures, and even comics.

This movie should really stem my curiosity, but it doesn't. Still, I am looking forward to checking it out when it is available to rent.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #1100
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I always visually liked Sonic, but the games were kind of boring to me. It's hard to "manage" Sonic when he's going really fast and it's just a lot of that, and jumping at the right moments.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote