The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Any fans of the Ace Attorney series here?

I finished the 3rd game of the original trilogy last night, Trials and Tribulations, and really liked it. Great game and great ending.

The Phoenix Wright trilogy was pretty fun and full of memorable scenes and dialogue. Justice For All was the weakest game of the trilogy, but the final case was pretty good.

Now that I'm done with the PW trilogy I'll either try the 1st Edgeworth Investigation game or go straight to Apollo Justice, which stars a new defense Attorney.

Any other fans of the series here? I like how these games combine both attorney and detective work. Plus, the characters tend to be charming. Also, doesn't ti just fell good when you present an objection and the music stops? And speaking of music, this seres ofc has some great tunes, after all it's a Capcom series, and if there's something Capcom usually delivers at is making great music!

My favourite prosecutor so far is Miles Edgeworth. Godot was an interesting character, but not that good of a prosecutor, because:

Spoiler:
He wasn't originally a prosecutor. He came back as one just to face Wright, whom he blamed for Mia's death.

My least favourite prosecutor was Franziska, although in T&T she seemed to get some character development and I began warming up a bit to her.

Favourite cases? Well, the last two cases of the first game were both quite long and memorable. The last case from JFA was also pretty good. And the last case from T&T was absolutely epic. And my favourite filler case from the trilogy was the 2nd case from T&T. MasqueDeMasque's case was pretty cool, imo.

As for the weakest cases, I notice the 3rd cases tend to be the weakest ones. I'm beginning to notice the pattern. The 3rd case from JFA, the circus one, in particular was quite mediocre. The Samurai case from the 1st game was fine, despite being filler. And the 3rd case from T&T was a bit... eh, the premise was dumb and I think the case dragged out a bit and seemed a bit hard to buy near the end, but whatever.

It's hard to say which game was better, between PW and T&T. PW was simple but yet a very charming and well made game in terms of pacing and none of the cases are bad. Plus, it introduced us to the main cast and had Edgeworth as the prosecutor, whom I prefer to von Karma and Godot. And also the fact it was the very first game made the whole thing a novelty for me. It was a completely new experience for me, since I had never played a VN style game or a game with such a setting/concept before. I bought the trilogy a couple of years ago from the 3DS eShop simply because those games were quite popular on the DS and I was very curious about them, but I didn't have much expectations or knew exactly what I was getting myself into, so it was a pretty rad experience. But on the other hand, the final game of the trilogy had quite an epic overarching plot that wraps up the trilogy quite well, and the investigations are more interesting in it. The Magatama which had been introduced in the 2nd game with the psychelocks made investigations more challenging and immersive. In the first game, investigations and asking people questions wasn't challenging at all.

So yeah, JFA is definitely the weakest game of the series. Still a solid game, but the 3rd case was lousy and this game also had the worst 1st case of the trilogy, imo. Its 2nd case was interesting and quite important for the trilogy as a whole, however. And like I mentioned, its final case was quite good.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Love this series. I really like Apollo Justice but I can't stand Klavier with his "rockstar superstar" obnoxious attitude.

I'm finishing Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. There's one curiously led by Miles Edgeworth called Ace attorney Investigations.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

I'm finishing Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. There's one curiously led by Miles Edgeworth called Ace attorney Investigations.
From what I gather, the first Investigations game is generally considered one of the weakest AA games, while the 2nd one is generally considered one of the best ones, if not THE best Ace Attorney game... but it's a Japan exclusive and the only English version available is a fan translated version of it.

I do try to avoid googling information about AA games I haven't played yet because this is one of the easiest series to get spoiled about due to each game being a continuing from the previous instalment.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
raph27
Mad Scientist

I recently finished up the trilogy on my 3DS after taking a long break from them. Great games, love the characters. I have all of them sitting on my 3DS from various eShop sales, still need to get around to Apollo, 5, and 6. I'm considering getting the Switch port of the trilogy as well, even though I know it would be forever before I played it. Hopefully, another game (AA7) will get made for current gen platforms, now that the trilogy is there.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
I recently finished up the trilogy on my 3DS after taking a long break from them. Great games, love the characters. I have all of them sitting on my 3DS from various eShop sales, still need to get around to Apollo, 5, and 6. I'm considering getting the Switch port of the trilogy as well, even though I know it would be forever before I played it. Hopefully, another game (AA7) will get made for current gen platforms, now that the trilogy is there.
I'm not getting the trilogy on any other platform. Honestly, I don't think Ace Attorney games have a lot of replay value, since the biggest part of the experience is putting the pieces of the puzzle together during investigations and trials. Not to mention the twists of events are only impactful when you don't know them beforehand already. So replaying a game where you already know what to do wouldn't be nearly as fun as in the first time, imo. It's not a game that requires speed or technical skills to beat. You can take your time to think before presenting evidence during trial.