The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #21
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Well we know one character who won't be in the reboot

Cree Summer
@IAmCreeSummer
·
24s
I just got the word that ELMYRA will NOT be included in the Tiny Toons reboot Broken heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
well that sucks. Maybe She'll show up with Pinky and the Brain.
They can at least bring Cree Summer back as Mary Melody, another character she voiced on the show. Plus, it would good for representation and diversity.

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

Isn't it a bit soon to make that kind of sweeping decree? I wonder why they'd come out and say No Elmyra in the same breath that they announced the show. Show's not even out yet.

One would think that if enough people say that they want to see the character, she may well be included. Although I can't wait to hear what WB's reasoning for excluding her would be.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #23
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Isn't it a bit soon to make that kind of sweeping decree? I wonder why they'd come out and say No Elmyra in the same breath that they announced the show. Show's not even out yet.

One would think that if enough people say that they want to see the character, she may well be included. Although I can't wait to hear what WB's reasoning for excluding her would be.
I've heard some say that nowadays she is very unpopular because she has been known for animal cruelty. There are plenty of people who don't like seeing stuff like that in TV shows or films.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #24
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
I've heard some say that nowadays she is very unpopular because she has been known for animal cruelty. There are plenty of people who don't like seeing stuff like that in TV shows or films.
If that's true, seems like a dumb reason to remove her. She was still a core cast member, not to mention the Elmer Fudd of the gang. Now who's going to play that role?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh waaaah waaaah waaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

I can believe it, but good grief.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #26
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Well that is lame, no Elmyra.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:49 PM   #27
Wildcat
Foot Elite

This is great. So happy it’s not a streaming exclusive. Maybe they’ll appear in the new Space Jam. It’d be cool if they got their own version. Within the show I mean. Not a separate movie.

Wonder if they’re getting a new theme song or just update like Ducktales.

No Elmyra is strange. I have not kept up with the fan side so don’t know how popular she is. We’ll see what their reason is. She wasn’t my favorite but I didn’t mind her. Still excited though.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:54 AM   #28
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I also imagine Warner have never really forgiven Elmyra for tanking Speilberg's animation dynasty with the final season of Pinky and the Brain
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:32 AM   #29
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Well Elmyra was the only character from the show to be included in "IGN's Top Cartoon Characters from the 90s", but that's just IGN.

I mean it's weird enough that a majority of the cast of characters from the original Animaniacs are not going to be in the reboot. I don't see them getting away with that with Tiny Toons since the cast of characters were what made the original show memorable. I'd argue more so than most of the cast of Animaniacs. You weren't just watching it for Buster and Babs or Plucky, you'd watch it for Hampton, Elmyra, Montana Max, Furball, Sweetie, Sneezer, Little Beeper, Calamity, etc.

I have a feeling if there's enough demand, some characters from Animaniacs like Slappy, Mindy and Buttons, will eventually get added in a later season if the show lasts long. I'm not sure if the new Animaniacs will be able to pull off keeping the original characters away from the show but I don't think Tiny Toons will be able to pull that off well.

Since Plucky and Hampton's original voice actors have passed, I'm sure they could easily find replacements. Anyone that can do a good Daffy or Porky voice could easily fit the roles. Maybe Eric Bauza or Billy West as them respectively.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #30
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Oh, such a horrible animal cruelty over cartoon animals in a cartoon TV show!!
So many kids were traumatized by that (nonsense)!!
We need to form a committee to ban cartoon violence in cartoons, because, it might hurt GENERATIONS of the poor innocent dumb kids and turn them into violent maniacas!!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #31
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Charlie Adler who voiced Buster in the Original cartoon has not been asked to be in this one

Charlie Adler
@charlie_adler
·
21h
I have not been invited to participate so I don’t have any idea about the production but I wish it great success !

Same goes for Maurice Lamarche

MAURICE LAMARCHE
@MAURICELAMARCHE
·
46m
Add my name to the list of those who have not been approached. Which is a bit bewildering, considering having the OG cast in Animaniacs was so successful; 3 wks as the No. 1 show on Hulu, and a full month in the TOP 3 of ALL streamers! Gotta think some of that was cz of the cast.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #32
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I also imagine Warner have never really forgiven Elmyra for tanking Speilberg's animation dynasty with the final season of Pinky and the Brain
That wasn't necessarily her fault though, just whoever was the dumbass that thought of that.

For me it felt weird cause Elmyra worked as a crazy cartoon character within a cartoon world where her classmates were talking rabbits and ducks and whatever. But Pinky and the Brain put her in a more 'real world' setting and in a regular school and she still acted exactly the same. Like it made her look um.... mentally challenged is the PC term? alongside her classmates.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:07 AM   #33
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Without the original voices I have lost all interest.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

Like, if the original voice actors are available it seems kinda lame not to get them involved. They know how fans are about that stuff.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #35
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The same voice actors are preferred but how do you lose all interest if it’s not? Who watches fictional characters just for their voices?

Of course certain characters have a distinct voice and it’s part of their image but if someone can do a good impression I don’t see the problem. Unless people are getting upset over studio loyalty.

They probably will use the original voice actors but I’m just saying it does not ruin the cartoon.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:12 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

It can definitely hurt the overall experience. The original TMNT cartoon is a big example. Once they started swapping voice actors around it was never the same and went downhill very fast. Everybody's fondest memories of the show are 100% from the episodes with the original voice cast.

"The Real Ghostbusters" was another one. When Lorenzo Music left and Dave Coulier came on to voice Venkman, "coincidentally" the show went over a cliff very soon after and never recovered. Likewise, I'm a huge fan of Kath Soucie but she was not a good fit for Janine on that show and it was very off-putting.

The voice actor is most of any cartoon character's appeal. Look at how many people refuse to accept anyone besides Mark Hammill as The Joker; or, conversely, how many people are currently annoyed that he's playing Skeletor in the upcoming "Masters of the Universe" series instead of Oppenheimer because "Hammill just uses his 'Joker Voice' for everything" (and that's honestly a really valid point of criticism on their end; I like Hammill's Joker, but his voice acting is very one-note, he does not have a lot of range and I honestly don't think he's a good fit for Skeletor, but time will tell on that one).

These things matter. End of the world? No, but if the most popular and recognizable cast members are available and willing to do a new project, the only real reason NOT to involve them in it is, "We don't want to pay them." And that's kind of a dumb reason and it only makes sense that people would get upset about it.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:42 PM   #37
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I actually don’t have the complete FW TMNT series so I don’t really remember the voice changes. Same with Real Ghostbusters. It’s been decades since I’ve seen it (always wanted that Collectors Firehouse set).

I would guess the down turn of both had more to do with being long running series but I don’t remember how far in the changes happened.

If someone can do a good impression I’m satisfied. Any subtle difference your brain might pick up is not a big deal to me.

Like Marge’s voice on The Simpsons has a noticeable bit of age. Although that’s a natural change I could excuse Buster sounding vaguely different 20+ years later. I know they’re not aging the Tiny Toons I just mean it’s reasonable.

I don’t think this is about paying them. It doesn’t even have a release date. Would they be way more expensive? Do voice actors set their pay? I mean like in this case of an old show being revived.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:00 AM   #38
Powder
So tired of this place

Wildcat, have you ever not liked something?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:06 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

It would always be cheaper to hire a sound-alike than an original established VA, yes. Maurice LaMarche, for example, is one of the most esteemed and experienced VAs in the business and I imagine he doesn't work for peanuts. At the same time, these companies aren't in poverty and they have the means to do what they can to provide fans as close to the "authentic" experience as possible. They know what people want; whether they'd pay to deliver is another matter entirely.

And yes, it would come down to money. That's literally the only reason they ever do (or don't do) anything. The Simpsons killed off Maude Flanders because they changed the location of their recording studio and wouldn't let the voice actress either record her lines from home OR cover the cost of transportation for her to fly across the country to record. She asked for a very meager pay raise that would be just enough to cover the travel expenses of flying in to record; to prove a point, the studio instead had the show's writers kill her character off in the dumbest way possible. The dumbest thing is they eventually came to terms and hired her back ANYway a few years later, but they can't un-kill Maude so they're stuck having her be a ghost or appearing in numerous flashback episodes and dumb sh*t like that. And to think, it all could have been avoided if they weren't cheap, petty assholes about the entire thing.

I don't want to sound overly mean, but just because you personally would be fine with knock-off VAs for this or any cartoon shows doesn't mean most people agree. We've repeatedly established that your personal standards are rather low. Again, not being mean, just pointing out an established fact; you're pretty much okay with everything, always.

Most other people agree that these things matter. For example, I love the writing of MLP but if someone tried to recast one of the Mane 6 I'd tell them to cram that sh*t. The cast is a huge part of what makes the show what it is, none of them are replaceable. Granted it's over with now, but they're still doing that dumb "Pony Life" spin-off, and while I personally don't care for it I'm glad the voice actors are still getting paid to voice the characters in some capacity.

"Close enough" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Anybody who's not dead or otherwise incapacitated who was part of an original project, pay the money and bring 'em back. Especially if they WANT to come back, like the cast of Tiny Toons obviously wants to. Who the hell turns down the original actors when they say "I would love to be involved in this"? Assholes, that's who. Petty, cheap assholes. If Charlie Adler wants to play Buster again, f*cking let him. What, you're gonna find someone "better" than the guy who created and perfected the voice? Not gonna happen.

Hopefully WB will relent, but if they don't it's because they're cheap. No other reason. And that's dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wildcat, have you ever not liked something?
HAH, stiff jab.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 AM   #40
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I didn’t know that about Maude’s voice actor.

Of course they should use the same people if they’re available. It’s too early to know if or why they wouldn’t. I don’t think Buster would sound ridiculously out of place is all I’m saying.

No offense taken by either but it’s not that my standards are low or that I like everything (there’s many franchises I never even got into). In general I just think people make a bigger deal out of things in entertainment than necessary.

It’s not that I think everything is awesome (should my avatar be the Lego movie? ) I just think a lot of stuff is alright at worst.

Believe it or not there are things I do NOT like but most TV/Movie criticism I see just come off silly to me. Some is valid but then people tend to go overboard with it.