The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #41
Scumbug
Mouser

Hire people on the board of directors who understand the Western collectors market. Hold collectors' choice polls to see what the community wants. Reuse old molds to save money and release 4 pack sets people may want; such as punk frog 4 pack, retooled stone warrior 4 pack, toon colour footsoldier 4 pack, toon colour krang, shredder bebop and rocksteady 4 pack (add new accessories and retool where essential), toon turtle 4 pack (undercover bodies with no gimmicks and new sculpt heads and accessories), channel 6 4 pack (retooled toon turtle channel 6 crew with april added) and a few other sets that milk the moulds to make money. If the lines sell well invest in a MOTU origins style vintage line starting at 88 and moving on with fans choice figures. If the line doesn't sell quit and give another CEO a shot.

Last edited by Scumbug; 10-30-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Phone typo
Scumbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #42
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

I don't even know if I want Playmates to stay in the TMNT game anymore, but one thing I'd absolutely love to see them doing is repaints of the original Turtles in Mirage style. I'm kind of surprised they didn't go that route with their Mirage line.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:09 AM   #43
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Honest question: Why the push for smaller scales when the action figure market has been trending more into 6- and even 7-inch scales for a very long time, now? Is it just because the original toys were smaller? Just curious.

For me, I like larger figures with lots of detail and articulation, as well as figures that can display or be played with alongside other popular lines and still look good. 6-inch seems to be a good standard for most lines nowadays.

I'unno, just curious. So far this is the only place where toys are discussed where I've seen anyone push for smaller scale; most everyone else prefers a "Bigger = Better" approach to action figures. When companies put out lines in 5.5 or smaller scale, they certainly have an audience but it's very niche, and most people deride them as a "step backwards" and "waste of time". *I* don't particularly feel that way, as I buy a little bit of everything and have a sentimental fondness for "vintage-style" figures, but it does seem to be the dominant and overwhelming opinion. Even Star Wars seems to put much more energy into their 6-inch figures instead of the 3.75-inch scale that they built their name on, anymore.

Just wondering. Smaller figures almost seem "quaint", anymore.
Hey Leo. Saw this question last week but never had the chance to respond.

It's a good question and the honest answer is I don't know why I prefer the 4.5" scale. You probably hit the nail on the head with the "sentimental fondness". It's what I grew up with. I also think (as someone else mentioned) if a company was to ever go down the road of vehicles and playsets then the smaller scale would help in terms of size and space.

I can totally see the appeal to both collectors and manufacturers of the 6" scale. For the designer, I guess 6" is chosen with the scale thought process that 1" = 1 foot. Then it makes it a lot easier to get various character heights transferred across. That is my thinking with how 6" should be used. Whether it is or not, I'm not sure.

Also the bigger scale means you can make stronger (bigger) joints, and also have more detail.

Any bigger than 6" scale and I'm not really interested. I remember having a Bravestarr figure when I was a kid and that figure was HUGE in comparison with anything else I had, so I only ever played with that on it's own. Obviously nowadays we don't play, we display.

I love the 6" scale Super7 figures, plus I have other figures in that scale, but if I had a choice I would choose 4.5" (if that was the 'official' scale of the original TMNT figures?).

All of that still makes prefect sense for Playmates to go after that corner of the market. They just need to get better sculpters in!

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost, in time, like tears... in... rain. Time... to die."
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #44
bwwd
Hench Mutant

1.HIRE NEW SCULPTORS
2.HIRE NEW CONCEPT ARTISTS
3.RELEASE FIGURES THAT LOOK LIKE 80S/90S TURTLES FROM COMIC BOOKS, MOVIES AND CARTOONS.

4 COUNT GAZZILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF PROFIT.

But playmates isnt smart enough, theyll take some shitcrap sculptor cause hes pals with some of the staff members in playmates, they will keep releasing piece of **** looking figures again and again...
Old 11-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #45
Zachatello00
Domehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus Orbus View Post
I don't even know if I want Playmates to stay in the TMNT game anymore
It's interesting to think about what might happen if they didn't stay in the game. If the company folded, or they took their death grip off of the TMNT license, I wonder how that might affect things moving forward.

I'd love, love, LOVE to see Hasbro with the license. Awhile back they teased the possibility of doing some Power Rangers/TMNT figures based on the comic book crossovers, but obviously couldn't guarantee it because they'd need permission from Viacom and Playmates.

I love what Hasbro has done for Star Wars, Power Rangers, Marvel, etc. I'd love to see TMNT receive similar treatment.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:10 AM   #46
Roseangelo
Emperor

Resign the master toy license.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:58 AM   #47
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Resign the master toy license.
this give the TMNT to a more compentent toy manufacturer like Hasbro Mattel etc.

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #48
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
this give the TMNT to a more compentent toy manufacturer like Hasbro Mattel etc.
I don't think either Hasbro or Mattel would want it. Maybe there doesn't need to be a master toy license and they can hire different studios to best fit the projects that come up.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #49
mikey0
Mad Scientist

TMNT was the hottest property around at the start of the 1990s. I cannot see Hasbro turning the license down. Hasbro would then have the big 3 Millennial toy collector lines (Ghostbusters, TMNT, and Power Rangers).
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #50
miru
Mad Scientist

Not sure whether to preserve the traditional scale or shift to another size... but if I kept the traditional scale, more articulation and play features would be added to the “Multiverse” line, which features the return of characters like Vam Mi, characters companies like Super7 are unlikely to tackle.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #51
cfawcett
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
So the molds for the whole toyline exist would be my first question
I'm pretty sure most of them do.

Cj
cfawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #52
Da Foot
New Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I feel like MOTU Origins is going to be the line to watch, right now. They've gone to the "classic" 5.5 scale while retaining the more modern articulation, and are completely All-In on playsets and vehicles. It's worth watching how much success Mattel has with that approach over the next couple of years, to see which way the proverbial winds of consumer preference are blowing. Again, data is skewed because it's 99.9% 30- and 40-somethings buying these up, but again, money is money. But I feel like it'll be a good barometer as to whether buyers want The Whole Works, or Just Figures that scale well with other lines and look dynamic in a display.
I think that MOTU Origins is great, it's a way of just keeping it simple and it works. I wish playmates would do the same
Da Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:20 PM   #53
mikey0
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Foot View Post
I think that MOTU Origins is great, it's a way of just keeping it simple and it works. I wish playmates would do the same
What would a MOTU Origins-type TMNT toy line by Playmates look like? I can see the turtles, Splinter, Shredder, April, Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady. The Party Wagon is a given. Would we see the Technodrome or Sewer Playset again?

I think the punk frogs, Casey, Slash, Foot Soldier, Baxter, Leatherhead, and Mondo Gecko would come before a Scratch. Turtle variants would sink the line and Playmates would put a few of them in the earliest waves.

I don’t see Playmates offering the wackier vehicles of the original toy line for this MOTU Origins-type line. We would be lucky if we even got the Cheapskate.

Hopefully next year, Playmates will do something like that for the fans. Until then, we have the S7 Ultimates and ReAction lines.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote