The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: As a parent, will you be ok if your kids are gay/lesbian/trans?
I'll be fine with it as long as it's their decision and stand by them 8 66.67%
I admit I'll be somewhat disappointed, but I will accept it 2 16.67%
No, I'd rather not have gay/lesbian/trans kids and would want them to be staight 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

For parents here, will you be ok with your kids becoming gay/lesbian/trans?

So there are a lot of parents here with young kids. For those of you who have kids, will you be fine if your kids grow up that they decide they're gay or trans?

It's a very real possibility in today's day and age that many people will raise gay/lesbian or trans children and not even realize it yet, as many of these decisions aren't made till they're in their mid/late teens or young adults in their early 20's.

Likewise in today's society (and certainly continuing in the next decade), being gay or lesbian is pretty mainstream now and while trans isn't quite there yet it might be as the years go on. So for those of you with kids, will you be ok if your son or daughter realizes their gay as they get older? Or if they are trans?

Very curious.

Last edited by CyberCubed; 12-02-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Update.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Parents rejecting their kids causes all kinds of trauma. You don't have to agree with their life choices. But you still have to love them.

Unless your kid becomes a furry or a Juggalo. Then you write them out of the will and exile them from holiday gatherings.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
Barkworm
Just passing by

https://youtu.be/ZMtpEOaVHpg
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
IMJ
Mad Scientist

If a life choice doesn't negatively impact a person's ability to have a life and doesn't negatively impact society as a whole then you support it. You don't "correct" sexuality unless it's the kind that infringes on other people in an unwanted fashion or in a situation where the infringed upon have little to no ability for calculated decision or resistances (i.e., kids, the mentality underdeveoped, etc).

And so the short of it is that we show up, we live our lives as good people and then we are gone. If your kids' role is a sexuality different than what you predicted, so be it. We show up, live our lives as good people and then we are gone. That would be their way for the "live their lives as good people" part. That's it, get behind it.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
Roseangelo
Emperor

Thank goodness there is low probability of Cubed ever becoming a parent.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

That level of vicious. That's what you are.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Where's the "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it" option? I'm sure I'll still love my kids regardless of any of these situations, but I will never speak with certainty until I actually deal with said situations.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Thank goodness there is low probability of Cubed ever becoming a parent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
https://media4.giphy.com/media/6IiOb...mVcD/giphy.gif

That level of vicious. That's what you are.

There are sperm banks, you know. Never say never.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Cubed has the GDP of Venezuela in his bank account, brutha ain't sellin' no sperm, dawg.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Maybe that's HOW he got that cheddar.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My 12 year old daughter said she's a lesbian a few weeks back. I told her that's nice... but you're 12 and shouldn't be thinking sexually in any which way, whether hetero or homo-ly. Also to knock it off and clean your room.

Two friends of mine both had young daughters saying they were lesbian in the past couple of months. Must be something in the water.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My 12 year old daughter said she's a lesbian a few weeks back. I told her that's nice... but you're 12 and shouldn't be thinking sexually in any which way, whether hetero or homo-ly. Also to knock it off and clean your room.

Two friends of mine both had young daughters saying they were lesbian in the past couple of months. Must be something in the water.
Very good point.

There's a difference between young children and young adult children.

My daughter still says she's Moana. "That's nice, dear."
Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yeah, my boys are 8 and 3. We have a while to go before any of this will probably come up.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

"As long as it's their decision"? Is this a Chuck Tingle novel?
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #15
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maybe that's HOW he got that cheddar.
HAHAHAH I was going to say the same thing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

See and there's this. I meant what I wrote above, but that was taking the proposed situation on it's own merits. But this.

Leftists have created a situation whereby this has become a thing that still developing kids digest and think that it's an active point of consideration for "cool". And that's a problem. Joe Rogan has had this conversation several times on his podcast too - we've mainstreamed a topic to the point that it's a conversation of pop culture for uninformed kids. Bad, bad form.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #16
ABrown
Mad Scientist

If one of my boys genuinely ends up being homosexual, then that's what they are. But I will try to get them not to make a spectacle of it, as there are people who would not be accepting of it. And I wouldn't want them to get beaten up, or worse, for it. Their safety will always be my number one priority.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
HAHAHAH I was going to say the same thing.....

See and there's this. I meant what I wrote above, but that was taking the proposed situation on it's own merits. But this.

Leftists have created a situation whereby this has become a thing that still developing kids digest and think that it's an active point of consideration for "cool". And that's a problem. Joe Rogan has had this conversation several times on his podcast too - we've mainstreamed a topic to the point that it's a conversation of pop culture for uninformed kids. Bad, bad form.
Yeah, it's not polite to say out loud but I definitely think that's *A* factor in all these kids "coming out" at younger and younger ages nowadays. Pop culture and society have practically made it a "trendy" thing now. I don't doubt that there's a lot of sincere cases - I knew a few dudes at age 10-12 who were definitely gay, although it took 'em a few more years to make peace with it but we all knew even back then - but on some level, kids imitate what they see. And they're being positively inundated now with pro-LGBTQ+ messages and imagery and how "important" it all is, before they've even been properly educated on their own bodies or what puberty even is. Like, they're in Kindergarten and being told "being gay is super-awesome" and they don't even know what that means, or what ANY of it means. Little girls don't even know what a period is, yet, but they're told over and over again "You can have sex with girls if you want to, when you get to that point. You don't have to just like boys." "Ummm... okay? I like Play-doh."

I mean it's not "polite" to say but there's no way that doesn't have an effect on kids' development.

Heck, when my nieces and nephews were 12-ish, they still pretended to be Alvin and the Chipmunks. They weren't worried about gender roles or who they could have sex with. But they also weren't having things like that presented to them on a daily basis through their media, entertainment, and schools. Now that they're adults, they see things like that and go "Yeah, that's probably not really good to force-feed little kids." Like they're early-20s but young enough to remember vividly what it was like at that age, and they're like "Dude WTF are they doing putting all of this stuff on kids, now?" Stuff like that new She-Ra show is definitely eyebrow-raising. "Not my kid, they wouldn't be watching that stuff," they say.

Like I said, sometimes it just Is What It Is. But I definitely think there's a little bit of "social conditioning" going on, too. Like it's one thing to say "It's OKAY to be This", but kids don't understand or grasp nuance. They don't see any line between "It's okay to be This" and "This is what you're SUPPOSED to be," and that's kind of the tricky part.

I do have quite a few gay and/or "not straight" friends - more than you'd think, I swear - and most of them do see the current social climate as a bit problematic. My one lesbian friend flat-out says she thinks the media is "brainwashing" kids and she thinks it gross. Couple of my guy friends who are gay, too. So it's not like this point of view is only coming from older or super-conservative people.

I kinda share their opinion that people can be as gay as they wanna be, and that's fine, but let kids figure that kinda thing out on their own, at an appropriate time and place in their development.

....This all gets me thinking about how I had a Rainbow Brite when I was little, and I can only imagine what my Dad thought. I was a f*cking weird kid, though.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Don't have kids. At least not now. Maybe not ever, dunno. That said though, I don't accept the view that some have that a child is a thing that is just an extension of the parent and should live up to the parent's wishes or what they imagined for their child's future, if it isn't what that kid wants. If a child turned out to be gay/trans, then yeah, I'm sure that would take time to let that digest and get used to the idea, but they have to figure out their own life and have every right to do that (within age appropriate bounds if a minor).

Will a kid always know what's what, or feel the same way about something a year or several from now? Maybe, maybe not? But that's up to them to get figured out, not for some adult to try to decide for them one way or the other.

And at 12... come on, who doesn't remember being that age, kids start thinking about stuff and can't stop nature from kicking in and getting all that growing up stuff started, no matter how much a mom or dad wants to slow down and delay that train.

Quote:
I had a Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Dash... I sense a theme here. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Rainbow Dash is 20% More Awesome.

Although Rainbow Brite did bring color to the entire world. Which is a hell of a job if you think about it.

Jeez, she'd have to be like pushing 50 by now. You gotta wonder if she's still at it. Or if like she just said "f*ck it" one day, threw in the towel and started stripping.

I got turned down by all the really good schools. *I* say that my train of thought is more fourth-dimensional than most people can handle. They said... other things.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #20
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
That said though, I don't accept the view that some have that a child is a thing that is just an extension of the parent and should live up to the parent's wishes or what they imagined for their child's future
Articulately stated.

Quote:
Rainbow Dash is 20% More Awesome.

Although Rainbow Brite did bring color to the entire world. Which is a hell of a job if you think about it.

Jeez, she'd have to be like pushing 50 by now. You gotta wonder if she's still at it. Or if like she just said "f*ck it" one day, threw in the towel and started stripping.

I got turned down by all the really good schools. *I* say that my train of thought is more fourth-dimensional than most people can handle. They said... other things.
I googled Strawberry Shortcake the doll last week. Never expected to have to do that, but I needed it for a "smelly joke". True story.