The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #17421
Leo656
The Franchise

At this point I decided to totally shift gears and do a run of WCW Hogan matches. Which are pretty much the polar opposite of WCW Pillman matches.

Hulk Hogan vs. The Butcher, World Championship Match, WCW Starrcade 1994: The most nepotistic main event in the history of PPV, as Hulk Hogan carries his old gym buddy through a half-speed main event in WCW's biggest PPV show of the year.

Full disclosure, as a kid I ate this angle up. Hogan was my favorite, his history with Brutus Beefcake was well-known, and furthermore, I had met Brutus just a few weeks before he turned on Hogan and formed the 3 Faces Of Fear with Kevin Sullivan and Avalanche (Earthquake). The idea that Beefcake, of all people, would ever turn on Hogan, after Hogan stayed by his side when Beefcake's face was crushed in that parasailing accident and everything was just unthinkable to me. Meanwhile, the thought of Brutus Beefcake wrestling in the main event for the WCW World Title in 1994 was unthinkable to literally everyone else on planet Earth.

I can't lie, I did and do like the idea of the angle. Beefcake's "You kept me in your shadow!" reasoning throughout the whole thing has some real-life smoke to it, as we've since come to find out, so it was believable in that sense. It just had no business headlining WCW's biggest show during the most popular period they'd ever had up to that point in time. Might've been a decent "filler feud" for one of the lesser PPVs in mid-year or something, but it had no business being at Starrcade. I totally grant people's point on that.

It's also just plain not a great match. Beefcake hadn't worked as a heel since 1987, so when it came time to actually work the match it was like he "forgot" how to be a bad guy, and his attempts to "be a bad guy" are so exaggerated that they're comical. He also hadn't worked a main event PPV match since goddamn 1989, and headlined a PPV in a singles match f*cking NEVER, so despite Hogan's efforts to keep it moving, Beefcake was thoroughly exposed and the entire outcome was a foregone conclusion. Although it would have been GREAT to see Butcher win the Title, just because Meltzer would have f*cking had a stroke.

Subtle storyline to the match here, as Hogan puts over how angry he is at Beefcake's betrayal by deliberately attacking his surgically reconstructed face, including a running chairshot which I'm sure Brutus was at least a tiny bit nervous about taking. Still, Beefcake's offense was as one-dimensional as it gets, including a goddamn VULCAN NERVE PINCH that goes on forever, and it never felt like Hogan was in any jeopardy. You know the finish, you've seen Hogan matches before.

I will say, though, that part of me loves the whole deal, selfishly. Remove it from "wrestling as art" or even "wrestling as a business", for a second, and consider this: Two guys break into wrestling together, owning a gym and sleeping in their van on the beach, trying to get a break. They make a pact to always take care of each other, and when the one guy (Hogan) gets his big break, he honors his word and makes sure that his buddy always has a paying gig. And when he gets that magical "Creative Control" in his contract, he says, "Hey, man, y'know what'd be cool? If me and you just said 'F*ck everybody' and wrestled for the belt at the biggest show of the year, just like we always talked about 20 years ago."

Yes, it was a poor match. Yes, it was selfish as hell. But c'mon. Look at their faces. They're like two kids, both clearly having the time of their life even though they know it's totally driving everyone else insane. I have to find that a little bit beautiful, even if the match absolutely was not. They definitely had much better matches, though, back in '85 particularly but even as late as 1999. This one just never got out of first gear.

The most memorable part of the entire ordeal was the aftermath, where Randy Savage joins Team Hogan in his first WCW PPV appearance, and Vader challenges Hogan to a match during the post-match press conference.

Match Trivia: This was Beefcake's first ever, and last ever, PPV main event as a singles wrestler. I love Brutus, but you can kinda see why.

BONUS TRIVIA: This entire angle was mostly an accident. You see, Brutus only "betrayed" Hogan (by wearing a mask and attacking Hogan's knee with a pipe before a Title defense against Flair) because the guy who was SUPPOSED to be under the mask was abruptly unavailable. The original guy chosen, who would have gone on to wrestle Hogan at Starrcade instead? "Mr. Perfect" himself, Curt Hennig. Yep, WCW was gonna bring him in as early as August 1994, reveal him as the masked assassin conspiring with Flair, and HE would have gone on to wrestle Hogan at Starrcade instead. But he couldn't get out of his insurance policy deal with Lloyd's Of London, which was paying him a lot of money to NOT wrestle, so he had to bail on the angle and WCW had to come up with a guy under the mask on short notice. So we got Beefcake, because they more or less didn't have any choice. CRAZY!

Hulk Hogan vs. Vader, World Heavyweight Title Match, WCW SuperBrawl 1995: This was a Big Huge Deal simply because this was an era where EVERY "Dream Match" hadn't happened already 50 times. At one point people were convinced that Hogan would never even wrestle Vader. The "Big Fight" feel during the pre-match introductions was HUGE, and when Hogan and Vader went nose-to-nose, there was legit electricity in the air. The entire feud was hotly anticipated, especially after Vader had a huge run as a monster in 1993-1994.

Sadly, the match is "Just Okay". As usual, politics intrude and dilute the overall product. See, the "Hulk Hogan Brand" was worth a ton of money to WCW in 1995, so there was no way Vader was going to be the same "Vader" who tore Cactus Jack's ear off, and you can tell he's going half-speed at times, even though the match is still snug and hard-hitting. It's just that as far as Hogan matches go, he didn't fight Vader much differently than he fought King Kong Bundy, and the match feels rather formulaic. It's good, probably the best of their series together, but it felt like both guys held back. To his credit, Hogan takes all of Vader's Big Moves - Vader Bomb, Choke Slam, and a sick Power Bomb - and never once threatened to get him fired for hitting him too hard, SHAWN. Like sure, he got up from the Power Bomb, but he still took it. There were guys in 1993 and 1994 who legit quit WCW rather than take Vader's Power Bomb, so points to Hogan on that one. He didn't HAVE to take it.

Politics screw with the finish, as neither guy could job clean so Vader kicks out of the Leg Drop at 1 (!!!), Hogan gets up from the Power Bomb, and so Ric Flair runs in and attacks Hogan to draw the DQ. Some people swear that Hogan should have just dropped the Title to Vader here, and gone on to win it back in the Summer. But here's the Real Life Reasoning that prevented that: Vader had been good on top in 1993, but the number of people watching in 1993 wasn't HALF as many as were watching when Hogan came in. If your company is finally making money for the first time in its history, and ALL of that money is coming from Hulk Hogan working on top as World Champion... do you REALLY wanna tinker with that formula, even for "just a month or two"? The plain truth is, no, you really don't take that chance.

It did hurt this entire series, though. Since neither guy was "allowed" to lose clean and Hogan couldn't drop the Title, everything got seriously over-booked to the point of becoming nonsense, and by the end of it Vader looked weaker than he ever had. He came into the feud as U.S. Champion on a huge undefeated streak, and by the end of it he had zero wins over Hogan, clean or otherwise (not even in tag team matches) and had the U.S. Title taken away for attacking Commissioner Nick Bockwinkle. He was out of WCW by mid-September, after a face turn that teased him TEAMING with Hogan, I guess because, like everyone else, he got sick of losing to him all the time and figured that was the only way to get his heat back.

The SuperBrawl match had a few flashes of brilliance and a few hints at What Might Have Been, but in the end the Hogan/Vader series was a bit of a missed opportunity.

(Cont.)

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #17422
Leo656
The Franchise

Finally, we got to the screwiest, most over-booked, batsh*t-crazy "How do we book a finish in a match where neither guy can job or look weak?" match finish in all of recorded wrestling history...

Hulk Hogan vs. Vader, Strap Match, WCW Uncensored 1995: I don't think to this DAY it's ever been made 100% clear if this was for the Title or not. The Network says Yes, but WCW repeatedly said it was "non-sanctioned" before and during the show, which implies that it wasn't for the Title. But let's be honest, NOTHING about Uncensored 95 made any goddamn sense so let's not start pulling threads.

It's a bad match. It mostly just served as a way to steal people's money by promising Hogan's "Ultimate Surprise" to help even the score with Vader and Ric Flair, and then delivering The Renegade instead of The Ultimate Warrior like everyone was expecting. Like the match itself is almost entirely an afterthought, as Hogan and Vader lazily trade shots while Flair and Renegade do schtick in and around ringside. Even once the cat was out of the bag that "No, this is clearly not Warrior", almost all the "action" involved Renegade no-selling Flair and occasionally trying to help Hogan. And I actually like The Renegade, and I really feel bad for him as he was thrown to the wolves immediately with no hope of ever recovering from it, but there's not a lot of Hogan/Vader action in this Hogan/Vader match.

This is lunacy, so I really need to transcribe this in detail.

They take turns punching each other and whipping each other with the strap. And that's about it. This goes on for almost 15 minutes before either guy remembers they have to try and WIN at some point. They go for the "Touch all four corners" gimmick but it's clear that neither guy wants to be there anymore. Vader hits a Vader Bomb and another snug Choke Slam, and that's about it as far as "wrestling moves" goes. Jimmy Hart comes out to rescue Hogan, his clothes torn as if he was beaten up in the back by Vader and Flair. A NEW masked man in black comes out - I guess Beefcake didn't need it anymore - and discovers Renegade's mortal weakness: Those flimsy balsa wood folding chairs that disintegrate if you sneeze on them. Flair hits Hogan with another one, but while popsicle stick picnic chairs are Kryptonite to The Renegade, they are spinach to Hulk Hogan. Vader takes over and has the match won, dragging Hogan to three corners, but Flair interrupts him FOR NO REASON and insists that he drop a second-rope splash on Hogan with Hogan's head on yet another picnic chair. Vader goes for a somersault, Hogan predictably "Nopes" him and Vader eats chair, then vanishes from the match forever as Hogan inexplicably begins beating up FLAIR instead. When Hogan gets bored of beating on Flair, he hooks HIM to the strap and drags HIM to all four corners instead of Vader, and the bell rings, and Hogan is declared the winner, despite the fact that he "beat" FLAIR and not Vader, the guy he was... y'know... in the match with. ANOTHER masked man comes out and sides up with Flair and Vader as they threaten Hogan and Renegade. Camera cuts to ANOTHER man in black and it's Arn Anderson, comically "bound and gagged" with very loose tape tied around his ankles and a Hogan shirt jammed in his mouth, truly the cherry on top of the sundae. In the ring, the masked guy "betrays" Flair and Vader and clears them out with a steel chair, which the camera ENTIRELY misses by staying on Arn for way too long, Because WCW. Masked Man Who's Actually On Hogan's Side is Randy Savage, because of COURSE it is. They play Hogan's music, everyone celebrates, and my favorite part, at one point Hogan just shrugs and says, "...That's it?" as if he's surprised more than anyone at the way this fiasco ended.

Now, to be fair... the crowd here was HOT for this and they popped huge whenever Hogan did anything. They even cheered like mad for Renegade. But I have SO many questions:

- If Jimmy Hart was beaten and tied up in the back by Flair, Vader, and presumably Arn, how did Jimmy escape Arn? You mean to tell me Jimmy Hart, who's 130lbs with rocks in his pockets, managed to pull a fast one on "Double-A"?

- WHY The Renegade? If it was just about making the numbers even or getting an edge over the heels, Hogan was already storyline friends with Sting, Savage, and... (SIGH) Dave "Evad" Sullivan. Why this rando, all of a sudden? I know the REAL LIFE reason - they wanted Warrior to come in but he no-sold them, so Hogan decided to tweak his nose and hopefully trick some gullible PPV buyers - but what's the in-story reason why Sting wasn't out there instead? Sure, on the show he "hurt his knee" against Big Bubba, but they'd been advertising "The Ultimate Surprise" for weeks. I think Hogan had friends in much higher places than THAT. Even a hastily face-turned Beefcake might have worked better than a "Fake Shemp" Ultimate Warrior clone.

- Where was Savage while the heels were torturing Jimmy Hart all night - watch the show, they LITERALLY imply that Jimmy Hart vanished right before the show and has been a hostage for three hours! - and why'd he do nothing when Masked Arn ran in?

- Savage stole Arn's mask, sure, but they were both dressed in full black at the end. In-storyline, did Savage pack a spare black costume so they could pull the "Fake Masked Man" gimmick, or did he swipe it from Arn's bag, or what?

- When Savage "bound-and-gagged" Arn in the back and stole his mask, WHY did he purposely make it so that he both had no problem walking with his ankles "tied" nor had any problem spitting the shirt gag out of his mouth? At several points, the gag falls out and Arn has to put it back in his own mouth himself, which is glorious.

- In answer to my previous question, I remember Savage's match with Crush at WrestleMania X and realize that the Macho Man's worst enemy has ALWAYS been tying knots.

- How can Hogan win a match by beating up a guy who was not officially involved in the match?

- How Many Beers Deep were Hogan, Savage and Bischoff when they came up with this finish?

- How did this happen in MARCH and yet the Hogan/Vader feud kept going until JULY?

- And finally... HOW did this NOT win Match of the Year in every single magazine and publication on planet Earth?

Five F*cking Stars for Meltzer setting his rug on fire and taking the Lord's name in vain while throwing his Liger/Wild Pegasus tapes into the fireplace while screaming "IT'S ALL BEEN A PACK OF LIES!!!"

Match Trivia: In the Dark Multiverse, "No Holds Barred" won the Oscar for Best Picture and Hulk Hogan beat Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Triple H and Actual Jesus in a 9-hour Iron Man Match for the World Title at WrestleMania 75.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #17423
Leo656
The Franchise

If all goes well, January 22 and 23, SWF will be doing THREE shows in TWO days, and hopefully I'll be seeing action on all of them!

Attendance will be capped at 50 per show. We will have Sandman, Ray Apollo as Doink, and New Jack. As of now I'll be teaming up with Riot City for a 6-Man Tag on the first show.

Should be a blast!

Old 11-30-2020, 03:17 AM   #17424
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Former ROH and TNA/IMPACT star Jimmy Rave has been forced to retire after he discovered an infection in his arm and had to have it amputated. Tragic way to call an end to a career.

Any Jimmy Rave stories you can talk about Leo? Did you ever work with him on the scene?
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #17425
Leo656
The Franchise

Nah, never met him. What a f*cking bummer, that's a rough way to have a career end.

Meanwhile, the card apparently switched and now I'm in a singles match with King Jeter, the current SWF Champion who's about 400lbs. This is gonna be a test. Never gone 1-on-1 with anyone that big, gonna have to do some tape study and try to figure out a way I can hang in there. As distasteful as it is, I might have to watch some Michaels/Vader matches, as with the size difference that's about the closest thing I can compare it with.

...Of course, if I get there and they're like "30-second squash", there's nothing I can do about that. I just HOPE they don't. I'd really like to have a good match and I definitely think we can. That's entirely not up to me, though. Especially as there's two more shows that weekend which means nobody's gonna be running long regardless.

Guess we'll see what happens. I always prepare to do my best regardless, but this one's out of my hands and I have no idea what they're building to with it. I guess if they do book a squash, the upside is, I'll have lots of energy for the rest of the weekend.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #17426
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Wrestlingbios covers the penultimate, and most turbulant, year of Steve Austin's career, a year which included the infamous 2002 walkout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Meanwhile, the card apparently switched and now I'm in a singles match with King Jeter, the current SWF Champion who's about 400lbs. This is gonna be a test. Never gone 1-on-1 with anyone that big, gonna have to do some tape study and try to figure out a way I can hang in there.
Motivate yourself with 'this is my Andre, this is my Andre'

Quote:
As distasteful as it is, I might have to watch some Michaels/Vader matches, as with the size difference that's about the closest thing I can compare it with.
Study it for the competitiveness of course, not the temper tantrums Shawn pulls in that match.

"MOVE...MOVE" (stomps a mudhole)
Old 11-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #17427
Leo656
The Franchise

Christ, that guy was such a worthless piece of sh*t. Cornette tells of a house show match before that, where Vader hit Michaels just a bit too hard and then Michaels grabbed him in a hold and started snarling in his ear. After the match Vader rolled out almost in tears - Leon was always a big teddy bear - and told Cornette "He said if I hit him again he'd go tell Vince and that'd be my job!" Part of why the Michaels/Vader matches sucked is because he was legit scared to even lay a finger on that f*cking primadonna pissbaby. I mean he worked light with Hogan, too, but they each caught a few live rounds and Hogan, to my knowledge, never said he'd go tattle to the f*cking office about it. There's an implicit understanding in the business that "sh*t happens". You just hit the guy back and let it go, you don't f*cking cry about it. That whole bit was why Vader never got over in the WWF, the only place on planet Earth he DIDN'T get over as a monster killer. Because Shawn Michaels was a goddamn little girl.

F*cking hell. F*CKING HELL do I HATE that guy. Generally speaking. He had good matches, don't get me wrong, but nobody - NOBODY - sh*t on the business and the people in it for their own personal glory more than that f*cking idiot. Round up all your Hogans, Nashes, Lesnars and Goldbergs, and they STILL don't compare to Shawn f*cking Michaels when it comes to primadonna, crybaby bullsh*t. Aside from Russo and McMahon, for the life of me I can't think of a single guy in the business I have greater distaste for. Although I admit, at least part of that is because for all his bullsh*t, people love him anyway. and that ALWAYS rubs me wrong no matter who it is. "Alright, he was a piece of sh*t, but he could do a backflip!" F*cking wheeee.

But yeah, I might have to try and steal a few spots from that one Vader match, if it's going more than two minutes. We'll see what happens! For all I know they'll shuffle the card again. I hope not, though, I always like doing things I haven't done yet. I've done "Big Guy" matches before with like, really tall or really jacked guys, but I've never faced a "Vader-type Pokemon" 1-on-1 before. If we get 8 minutes it could really turn out awesome!

Absolutely no bodyslam spot, though. I don't wanna look like a complete idiot. I mean, if they book it, I have to, but I prefer not. I'd rather play "cat-and-mouse" and actually have a "real" match. But again, it's whatever they tell me to do. Me and Jeter go back almost 10 years, though, so I really, really hope they let us do a good match. He took good care of me in the Scramble match back in October so I'd really like to have a good, solid 1-on-1 with him.

Last edited by Leo656; 11-30-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #17428
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, that's the psychology required. Most of the time it's trying to avoid being caught for a "moment", a domineering move or whatever, (depending on whether you're face or heel of course)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #17429
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, it really always just comes down to whatever they feel like doing, or what "the office" wants to see, or a combination of both.

This was my first 1-on-1 "big guy" match, which was straight "David vs. Goliath" stuff. They told us to fill 10 minutes so we knew we had to hustle, it was a little sloppy in spots but I think it turned out alright.

I almost sh*t myself in the back when we were calling it, and he's like "...so THEN you give me the bodyslam." I'm like ""Whaaaaat" and he's like "Don't worry, I'll go up. You're gonna look like a million bucks." He was very gracious, all things considered. Like, he didn't HAVE to give me anything and if he wanted it to be a two-minute squash, then that's what it would have been, but he wanted to have a competitive match instead. He even took my finish, which again, he did not have to do. Very professional.

This one was against a guy who wasn't as tall, but built like a f*cking tank. We only had 4 minutes, but again, you can still tell a good story within that. Once again, I had a very gracious opponent who let me get a LOT in on him. The thing is to try and tell a believable story within your time no matter which guy is going over. There was no way I could hit anything powerful on this guy, so it was all about picking spots, using the ring and just trying to hit "blitz" attacks from every possible angle.

Not long after that, I got booked against the guy's tag partner, another tank. This time, we got TWO minutes, but I'll never forget the pre-match. So Greywolf comes up to me and says, "They want two minutes and I'm over, but I really don't want to do a squash, that doesn't help you at all. I figure I'll just hit the finish, but before that you can get in whatever you want." Again, he really did not have to do that. We kept it moving, nice little "TV Style" match that told a story. Whether you have 2 or 20, that's the entire point, telling that story.

So yeah, I really like wrestling bigger guys so long as we're on the same page. Hopefully this one upcoming will get some room to breathe, but even if we get two minutes we can do SOMEthing good, if we're "allowed" to. Here's hoping.

My role in this company so far is "Underdog Babyface" and Jeter's part of a heel stable, and they're running an ongoing angle with them so timing-wise, I'd be shocked if I'm going over, just to be blunt about it, since he just got the strap in the first place and this would only be his second Title defense. But finish aside, what kind of match we have 100% depends on what the guy with the pencil wants to see. It could be a ten-minute epic OR a 30-second squash and that completely depends on what the long-term booking plans are, so I'm not going to have any idea until I get there that day. I plan to train for a "real" match just to be safe, though.

I mean, I definitely PREFER to have a real match. But as they say, "The pay's the same either way". I'unno, it's almost two months away so a lot might change, also. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Leo656; 11-30-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #17430
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Pat Patterson, the first IC great and one of Vince's right hand men, both on screen and off, for decades , has died

https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-hall...on-passes-away
Old 12-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #17431
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

wwe signed dezmond xavier and zachary wentz fka the rascals in impact can't wait for them to get lost in the shuffle. curious why they didn't sign trey miguel who was the third member of the rascals.

Can't wait for them to get lost in the shuffle

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 12-02-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #17432
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #17433
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that was pretty cool.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #17434
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, that was pretty cool.
Almost as cool as Rikki Roxx talkin bout awesome wrestling videogames on the DIVING CUTTER PODCAST.

Also OMG I finally learned how to do this.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #17435
Leo656
The Franchise

Now THAT's how you plug, brother!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #17436
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Looks like Impact Wrestling and AEW are working together as Don Callis who is close friends with new AEW champ Kenny Omega said Kenny will be on next weeks Impact

Old 12-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #17437
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, in the current landscape where there's literally just "WWE" and "Everyone Else", it doesn't make any sense for "Everyone Else" to even try and be competition for each other. They should ALL be corroborating to just make life hell for Vince as much as possible.

The only way "pro wrestling" can really survive is to go back to a sort of "Territory-Lite" system the way it was for most of the 80s. WWF was still the Big Show, but while all the other companies were still "competing" they would work together and share talent when it suited them just to stick it to Vince. They didn't have to be pals, they just had to give him the finger, stand up and say "We still exist, asshole."

Companies that are small potatoes like Impact and AEW fighting each other over Vince's crumbs makes no sense. They're natural allies. Presenting something of a "unified front" is the best thing for everyone involved.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #17438
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
They're natural allies. Presenting something of a "unified front" is the best thing for everyone involved.
agreed this is best for business they can share talent do cross promotion feuds. Hope this works out.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #17439
Leo656
The Franchise

Jesus, seemingly nothing but whining from the marks about AEW signing Sting. Everything from "He adds nothing" to "He's a waste of money" to "He's taking a spot away from an indie guy", because Lord knows THAT would draw eyes to TNT. Those numbers sure spike whenever Janela or Sonny Kiss are on Dynamite, don't they? Gimme a break. I've got a lot of friends there, but the fact is every time they put an "indie guy" on their TV it's ratings death, and that's why most of the guys they signed from the independents are relegated to AEW Dark and not the main show. It's a business, not a fan club.

Meanwhile, everybody I'm friends with IN the business is ecstatic about them bringing in Sting. Even if he never wrestles, he draws eyes to the product and can repair some of the damage that his disastrous WWE run did to his legacy. Meanwhile, since they're not a touring company, TV ratings are a gigantic part of AEW's business and Sting has always brought in big numbers everywhere he goes. It's nothing but upside.

Yet internet marks are pissy because AEW is "wasting money" on a legitimate star who people would gladly pay to see "do nothing" if they had the chance, and they'd rather see Tony Khan give that "spot" to some no-name jabroni who couldn't sell out a flea market. Awesome priorities.

I know I've said it before many times, but most wrestling fans really are idiots. Especially the ones who claim to be "smart marks". And the reason they're looked down upon by so many people IN the business is because despite the fact that they never shut up about it, they really don't understand the business at all. They just know how to complain, and that's it.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:15 AM   #17440
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Quote:
Jesus, seemingly nothing but whining from the marks about AEW signing Sting. Everything from "He adds nothing" to "He's a waste of money" to "He's taking a spot away from an indie guy", because Lord knows THAT would draw eyes to TNT. Those numbers sure spike whenever Janela or Sonny Kiss are on Dynamite, don't they? Gimme a break. I've got a lot of friends there, but the fact is every time they put an "indie guy" on their TV it's ratings death, and that's why most of the guys they signed from the independents are relegated to AEW Dark and not the main show. It's a business, not a fan club.

Meanwhile, everybody I'm friends with IN the business is ecstatic about them bringing in Sting. Even if he never wrestles, he draws eyes to the product and can repair some of the damage that his disastrous WWE run did to his legacy. Meanwhile, since they're not a touring company, TV ratings are a gigantic part of AEW's business and Sting has always brought in big numbers everywhere he goes. It's nothing but upside.

Yet internet marks are pissy because AEW is "wasting money" on a legitimate star who people would gladly pay to see "do nothing" if they had the chance, and they'd rather see Tony Khan give that "spot" to some no-name jabroni who couldn't sell out a flea market. Awesome priorities.

I know I've said it before many times, but most wrestling fans really are idiots. Especially the ones who claim to be "smart marks". And the reason they're looked down upon by so many people IN the business is because despite the fact that they never shut up about it, they really don't understand the business at all. They just know how to complain, and that's it.
They're hypocrites. They're just salty cause he chose to do AEW rather than return to WWE. The people complaining are the same ones that are furious that Seth Rollins denied them a potential Sting VS Undertaker match.

Rather than complain about Sting, they should let Rikki Roxx school them about Fire Pro like he does on the third part of our podcast.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armbar#, silverdome brother, wrestling