The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #21
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Spoken like someone who can't even tell the difference between a "Boomer" and a "Gen-X'er". No, as much as musical taste is subjective, a lot of what is currently being produced is cookie-cutter, cheap, and bland. Catchy, maybe, but about as culturally stimulating as back-lot c-list sci-fi, or as intellectually nourishing as plain oatmeal. And so much of it is just plain crap. Entire careers built around flashy songs intended as musical insults to ex-lovers, or as edgy statements of "street cred". Hardly anything of actual substance.
Spoken like someone who’s definition of music is defined by whatever is popular at the time. Your entire argument is based off outdated early 2010s top 40 cliches. I bet you only listen to singles, too. I can give you at least 10 albums released in the 2010s that easily make my top 50 albums of all time.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #22
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,064
-A Moon Shaped Pool- Radiohead
-Lazarus- David Bowie
-The Powers That B- Death Grips
-Carrie and Lowell- Sufjan Stevens
-The Seer/To Be Kind- Swans
-Skeleton Tree- Nick Cave
-Yeezus/MBDTF- Kanye
-Flower Boy- Tyler the Creator

Listen to any of these albums and then tell me that music from the 2010s is somehow inferior to anything that came before it. There’s awful sh*t from every decade. Expand your taste beyond listening to the radio.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,836
There's probably better music being made nowadays than ever. Considering it's easier than ever to make music and for aspiring musicians and underground artists to share their stuff online to places like bandcamp and soundcloud.

We tend to think of the 60s and the 70s as having only great music, but not only were there less musicians around but we also don't remember the worst ones from those decades anymore.

Hell, I like a lot of stuff from the 80s, including a lot of its music, but the 80s was full of horrible music as well. For every good metal band there were 5 crappy glam/hair metal bands.

I think Japanese pop had a lot of great stuff back in the 80s. Watch anime like Bubblegum Crisis, Dirty pair and Kimagure Orange Road and see it for yourselves. Holy hell are a lot of those songs great. Meiko Nakahara in particular had a beautiful voice. Also, I'm a sucker for 80s synthethizers.

I think pop music was a lot better overall before the auto-tune.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
Trivia Fact: Despite being a huge fan of music, I never, ever talk about music with people in real life because it always hits a raw nerve with someone and becomes a clash of ideologies.

Actually, I never discuss interests with people, period. Sh*t's dangerous. Work, working out, and f*ckin'. Those are the only "safe" topics of conversation; everything else starts a war. I vaguely remember it being different when I was younger, but possibly not.

It helps that I absolutely don't care one bit what other people like, and have zero illusion whatsoever that anyone cares what I like, either.

Anyways, yeah, this thread has already turned out exactly as I predicted. Inevitable, I suppose.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #25
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Spoken like someone who’s definition of music is defined by whatever is popular at the time. Your entire argument is based off outdated early 2010s top 40 cliches. I bet you only listen to singles, too. I can give you at least 10 albums released in the 2010s that easily make my top 50 albums of all time.

Actually, um, no. I neither know nor care what is "popular" at any given time- in fact much of my music playlist is stuff you've probably never even heard of, whether old or new. YOUR "top 50 albums of all time" is probably nothing at all like mine, which would include everything from the complete libretto of Phantom of the Opera(original London recording), to Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. Neither of which, I might add, has ever been among top 40 cliches of the 2010's, unlike Beiber (trash), Taylor Swift (mediocre at best), Kanye (edgy hack), or the like. So, no.

You have no clue what my criteria for good music is, but, feel free to keep thinking you do. I just know what sounds good, vs what is "popular" in today's music production market. And it IS a market, purely made for flash and money. I can barely even name any recent artists whose work actually sounded real and had heart or soul to it. But given your generation, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with some of the great but little-known artists from before 2000. Like Alan Parsons Project, Electric Light Orchestra, Lisa Brannigan, Herbie Hancock, Patrick Dolby, or any of dozens of others that were never hugely popular, but incredibly talented nonetheless.

More recently, one of the few artists that I feel has shown real talent, is Caleb Johnson, but unless you're into rock (and watched the season of American Idol he was on), you'd probably never know who he is. His first album was one of the few albums in recent years I'd actually classify as good.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
This thread is less than three posts away from a "Grandpa/Whippersnapper" outbreak. I can feel it.

"Alan Parsons Project"? My goodness, Dennis Miller wouldn't touch that dated reference with Ayatollah Khomeini's stolen dick.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:58 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Trivia Fact: Despite being a huge fan of music, I never, ever talk about music with people in real life because it always hits a raw nerve with someone and becomes a clash of ideologies.

Actually, I never discuss interests with people, period. Sh*t's dangerous. Work, working out, and f*ckin'. Those are the only "safe" topics of conversation; everything else starts a war. I vaguely remember it being different when I was younger, but possibly not.

It helps that I absolutely don't care one bit what other people like, and have zero illusion whatsoever that anyone cares what I like, either.



Anyways, yeah, this thread has already turned out exactly as I predicted. Inevitable, I suppose.
I've always noticed how musical taste is a VERY generational thing. Nearly all people claim the music they grew up with was better than current day music. Same goes for cartoons and wrestling

My mother doesn't care for music that came out after the 70s. To her "good music" is mostly from the 60s and 70s except for classical music and jazz.She can't stand metal, harder rock, rap music, techno music, etc.

I also notice people take their preferences in music very personally. It's easier to tell someone hwy you don't like their favourite films, cartoons, video games etc, but music? It's almost like discussing sports. Nothing good will come out of it most of the time. Music also is full of labels and sub-cultures. From rockers, to punks, to metalheads, to reggae fans, to hip-hop fans, etc. And those sub-cultures class sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
This thread is less than three posts away from a "Grandpa/Whippersnapper" outbreak. I can feel it.

"Alan Parsons Project"? My goodness, Dennis Miller wouldn't touch that dated reference with Ayatollah Khomeini's stolen dick.
I like Alan Parsons Project.

Last edited by Prowler; 05-23-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
There's an entire paragraph in that Quote of mine that isn't from anything I said. What'chu tryin' to pull, brah? Everything from "I also notice..." to "...sometimes" didn't come from these skilled hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I like Alan Parsons Project.
I didn't say they were bad. I merely pointed out that it's indeed an extremely dated reference. I actually made a Dennis Miller-style joke, in order to illustrate just how dated a reference it was, in a fashion I sincerely hope he would be proud of.

Of course, it's 2019, so... referencing Dennis Miller for any reason is ALSO an extremely dated reference. So the joke actually works on multiple levels. Brilliant!
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #29
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
There's an entire paragraph in that Quote of mine that isn't from anything I said. What'chu tryin' to pull, brah? Everything from "I also notice..." to "...sometimes" didn't come from these skilled hands.



I didn't say they were bad. I merely pointed out that it's indeed an extremely dated reference. I actually made a Dennis Miller-style joke, in order to illustrate just how dated a reference it was, in a fashion I sincerely hope he would be proud of.

Of course, it's 2019, so... referencing Dennis Miller for any reason is ALSO an extremely dated reference. So the joke actually works on multiple levels. Brilliant!
Sorry, I messed up while copy pasting. I wasn't trying to falsely accuse you of saying something you actually didn't.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
For one thing if I'd actually allowed that many spelling errors into one of my posts I'd ritualistically disembowel myself in shame.

I've actually edited my posts hours or even days later upon discovery of a minor spelling or punctuation error. Sh*t's serious bid'ness, mang!
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #31
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
For one thing if I'd actually allowed that many spelling errors into one of my posts I'd ritualistically disembowel myself in shame.

I've actually edited my posts hours or even days later upon discovery of a minor spelling or punctuation error. Sh*t's serious bid'ness, mang!
I'm a fast typer, so I tend to make typos when I chat online. Funny enough, irl, with a pen and paper, I very rarely misspell anything. I was always that kid who wrote the longest stories in class whenever the teacher asked us to write a story. And in every story I wrote I'd have a couple of spelling errors at best, while some other kids averaged 4-5 per paragraph.

I do, sometimes, go back and edit typos as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 AM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
That's funny, people at work often notice my blazing type-speed as well, but I can only do it with one hand.

No, that's not a joke, and yes, it's exactly for the reason you'd think. No shame in this game, playah-pimp!
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #33
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's funny, people at work often notice my blazing type-speed as well, but I can only do it with one hand.

No, that's not a joke, and yes, it's exactly for the reason you'd think. No shame in this game, playah-pimp!
Ofc that'd be the reason. I didn't even think it could possibly be anything else. Still, that's not a very professional thing to do at work, is it? Unless you changed to THAT field.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:00 AM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
I don't do that at work, silly! That's simply how I acquired the skill in the first place, in the Long-Long Ago.

Nowadays, passers-by simply observe, "Wow, you type pretty fast, considering you only type with one hand." And I'm all "Ho ho ho, if I had a nickel..."
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 AM   #35
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't do that at work, silly! That's simply how I acquired the skill in the first place, in the Long-Long Ago.

Nowadays, passers-by simply observe, "Wow, you type pretty fast, considering you only type with one hand." And I'm all "Ho ho ho, if I had a nickel..."
Ah Ok. Now it makes more sense.

Typing with one hand is torture. I could never do that on a regular basis.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:05 AM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
It's funny, I actually struggle to use both. With one hand I'm amazing; with two hands I'm merely average.

.......huh. I hadn't realized just how many areas of skill that statement could be factually applied to.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 AM   #37
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It's funny, I actually struggle to use both. With one hand I'm amazing; with two hands I'm merely average.

.......huh. I hadn't realized just how many areas of skill that statement could be factually applied to.
I'm right handed in every possible situation.

But my right foot is my weakest foot when playing soccer. So I'm right-handed and left-legged. Funny how it works.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:12 AM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 16,295
Actually, many people are like that. A lot of right-handed gymnasts are left-footed when they run. A few of my pals who were in the Olympics actually smartened me up to that fact (he Humble Bragged while 200% certain that nobody was impressed).

Anyways, it's not so unusual.

This thread is awesome now.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #39
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post

You have no clue what my criteria for good music is, but, feel free to keep thinking you do. I just know what sounds good, vs what is "popular" in today's music production market. And it IS a market, purely made for flash and money. I can barely even name any recent artists whose work actually sounded real and had heart or soul to it. But given your generation, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with some of the great but little-known artists from before 2000. Like Alan Parsons Project, Electric Light Orchestra, Lisa Brannigan, Herbie Hancock, Patrick Dolby, or any of dozens of others that were never hugely popular, but incredibly talented nonetheless.
Yeah, I’m not big into the whole solo act, singer-songwriter thing. I know APP and ELO, but never even heard of the others. Quite frankly, they don’t interest me much either.

To clarify, I’m not knocking music from other decades. I listen to a sh*tload of music from the late 60s onwards, but my favorite stuff just happens to be from the 90s and now. To be fair, better production helps a lot.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #40
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
We tend to think of the 60s and the 70s as having only great music, but not only were there less musicians around but we also don't remember the worst ones from those decades anymore.
The 1970's are a great decade, with so many genres being popular (glam rock, disco, country, country rock, American folk music, hard rock and heavy metal).
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.