The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #961
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Maybe because I grew up in the Atari 2600 days, but the N64/PS1 graphics today don't phase me too much. Don't get me wrong though, I know exactly where you are coming from the comments however.

Considering the relatively small N64 catalogue, there are some unbelievable classics sitting in there, and the ratio of good:bad is probably alongside the Dreamcast.
I don't mind the N64's graphics either.

I only ended up with seven games total for the N64, and I'm still pleased with them. Some more than others. I really ought to break out Super Mario 64 again. Donkey Kong 64 might be my least favorite of the series, but I've enjoyed it on some level and I've been meaning to give it another go too.

I kind of feel bad for passing up on the PlayStation though.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #962
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

A decade ago I was still having fun with four-player Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. I wonder if I still would.

Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #963
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
A decade ago I was still having fun with four-player Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. I wonder if I still would.
It was actually the first game cart I picked up when I bought a used N64 a couple years ago. It's primitive arcade-y nonsense, but that's a large part of its charm, in my opinion. Strategic timing of the turbo button is the big key to success. It's been a long time since I've played it on multiplayer modes though. Also, I can only play it at length using the vertical angle camera setting.

Which did you prefer on N64: the original Gretzky 3D hockey or the 1998 updated edition?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-10-2015 at 12:28 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #964
Peanut
Second Gear

Where did people pull "N64 is sh*t because graphics" from? The N64 sucking isn't about poor graphics quality. It's about it having a sh*tty and limited library of games that come from an experimental age of 3D game design. Outside of the handful of standouts that thing is an absolute wasteland. The biggest problem being that so many of those games were creating a design language that would be refined and honed for the next 15-20 years and going back to them now, after experiencing decades worth of games that have learned and evolved and perfected on said design, is jarring as f*ck.

I think this has a drastic effect on the middle-tier of software in particular, which is where the vast amount of game libraries really shine over time. There is almost no middle-tier to the N64 library. It's either still incredibly fun to play and stands the test of time, or it's a low-res tire fire.

The PS1 is an entirely different story, though. A lot of those games also look like complete sh*t, but it still has an absolutely stunning library of games that are entirely still worth playing.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #965
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
The PS1 is an entirely different story, though. A lot of those games also look like complete sh*t, but it still has an absolutely stunning library of games that are entirely still worth playing.
Heh, The two PS1 Dukes of Hazzard games are guilty pleasures of mine. I can't help but be entertained by the mundaness of the 70s TV show atmosphere, even though the graphics and gameplay are spotty at best.

View my sketch work!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #966
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Refresh my memory. Only Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VIII come to mind. And Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #967
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Refresh my memory. Only Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VIII come to mind. And Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Oh, man. This is a loaded question. You'll have to let me get back to you on it.

Edit: Figured I should give something, so off the top of my head - Digimon World, FFIX, both Mega Man Legends games, Incredible Crisis, Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy, Crash 2 and 3, Vagrant Story, Vib Ribbon, Suikoden II, Tomba 1/2, Klonoa, Alundra, Valkyrie Profile, Mega Man X4. Those are just games I own and love. There are a ton more and the import scene for that thing is incredible.

Last edited by Peanut; 04-10-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #968
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm pretty much a Nintendo fanboy but even I have to admit that PSX > N64.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #969
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Final Fantasy VII is good as well, kiss my butt.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #970
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Final Fantasy VII is good as well, kiss my butt.
Eat every Cloud dick, my friend. Every. Single. One.

Barret, too. Eat it.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #971
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Vincent Valentine is the only one for me.

Nah, Red XIII can get it, too
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #972
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also Resident Evil 2. Its still a shame to this day Capcom never remade that game like they did with REmake on Gamecube. It was the most popular of the classic games.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #973
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Fair enough, guys. I wouldn't be able to come up with that comprehensive a list of N64 classics. Super Mario 64? GoldenEye? Uhh...Cruisin' USA?

Speaking of Resident Evil 2, that actually would count as a classic -- for the N64 -- or so my scared shitless ten-year-old self would argue. Still can't believe they managed to compress CG video onto that cart. My mind was effin' BLOWN.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #974
oldmanwinters
Overlord

When it comes to mid-tier N64, I think the WCW/WWF games were pretty impressive for their time. The body models look like they have a decent number of polygons and the animation is surprisingly smooth.

Quote:
Fair enough, guys. I wouldn't be able to come up with that comprehensive a list of N64 classics. Super Mario 64? GoldenEye? Uhh...Cruisin' USA?
You know, I still kinda like Cruisin' USA. It's quite a chore to play through the entire cross-country mode, and the graphics aren't quite as sharp as the arcade game that wowed my 6th grade self, but for a sprite-based 90s racer, it is enjoyable. It's no Daytona USA or Ridge Racer, but I still had fun with it when I picked up the cart for a couple of dollars. Now, granted... I don't think I've played it again since.

The N64 did have a surprisingly high number of racing games, with many of them coming courtesy of Midway (the Cruisin' franchise, California Speed, San Francisco Rush, etc.), the Extreme G series, Wipeout 64, and the Nintendo 1st party stuff like WaveRace, Excitebike, 1080 Snowboarding, and F-Zero entries.

One game I hope to have to time to get into one day is Jet Force Gemini. I've even found a vintage Player's Guide for it, so I can try to get hints the old school way.

View my sketch work!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #975
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
yeah i'd say i loved the WWF/WCW/ECW games on my N64 over the PS1 games.

so when it comes down it to, if i ever decide to buy any more vintage consoles, i'd love to get a PS1, Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #976
Leo656
The Franchise

ECW? Wow. Not for nothin' but Hardcore Revolution really wasn't that good, to me. The WWF/WCW wrestling games still hold up though. I've been playing through all those again recently and they're still fun, but ECW not so much. I don't think the Acclaim control scheme worked very well on the N64 controller. Actually, it didn't work very well on the PS controller, either. That engine was just kind of clunky. Those games are really tough for me to get back into now.

I never bothered picking up Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 & 2 for the N64 but that's something I plan on correcting in the near future.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #977
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
ah well each to their own bra! lol

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #978
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also Resident Evil 2.
Wasn't trying to be comprehensive, just give a list of stuff I like off the top of my head. RE2 fits the bill, but it was an N64 game as well.

Quote:
Indeed. You could make a list of N64 games that you could argue trump anything on the PS1, both in terms of quality and importance, but PS1 absolutely stomps the N64 if you start looking at the quality/quantity ratio. PS1 starts to infringe on SNES territory in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
When it comes to mid-tier N64, I think the WCW/WWF games were pretty impressive for their time. The body models look like they have a decent number of polygons and the animation is surprisingly smooth.
I would argue that they're actually pretty close to being at the top of the list on the N64, which is a feat that has yet to be repeated by any wrestling game made before or since. I could argue for Ultimate Muscle on the Gamecube in that regard, but I might be alone in that one.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #979
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Speaking of Resident Evil 2, that actually would count as a classic -- for the N64 -- or so my scared shitless ten-year-old self would argue. Still can't believe they managed to compress CG video onto that cart. My mind was effin' BLOWN.
I picked up another copy of Goldeneye a while back and man-o-man was that rough to play, nothing like I remembered it. It's definitely a classic, but it's definitely one you have to *try* to play. A lot of the racers play pretty well still as do many of the memorable platformers with a few notable exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post

You know, I still kinda like Cruisin' USA. It's quite a chore to play through the entire cross-country mode, and the graphics aren't quite as sharp as the arcade game that wowed my 6th grade self, but for a sprite-based 90s racer, it is enjoyable. It's no Daytona USA or Ridge Racer, but I still had fun with it when I picked up the cart for a couple of dollars. Now, granted... I don't think I've played it again since.

The N64 did have a surprisingly high number of racing games, with many of them coming courtesy of Midway (the Cruisin' franchise, California Speed, San Francisco Rush, etc.), the Extreme G series, Wipeout 64, and the Nintendo 1st party stuff like WaveRace, Excitebike, 1080 Snowboarding, and F-Zero entries.

One game I hope to have to time to get into one day is Jet Force Gemini. I've even found a vintage Player's Guide for it, so I can try to get hints the old school way.
I picked up Jet Force Gemini a while back as well and it's pretty fun, but I had a huge learning curve on re-learning the control scheme. Still, it's a pretty fun game. And as I said above, quite a few of the racing games are still very fun.

I definitely agree that the PS had waaaaay more really great games than the N64 overall, but there are a handful of N64 titles that are still just great to play. I gotta say that that era of gaming is still the hardest to go back to and play. I can sit down with an Atari 2600/NES/Sega Master System any day and not feel as jarred as when I boot up a PS1/N64. I guess maybe for me, the former is nostalgic and the latter was more of an uncomfortable growth spurt during middle school, where some great things happened but none of them were pretty, lol.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #980
Peanut
Second Gear

I was 11 when the N64 launched, so that era of games is the one that probably hits me the hardest where nostalgia is concerned. Also, because it's the only generation I abandoned completely after it ended/ I get a lot more of those "Oh, I remember this," moments while playing those games, but I still can't go back to it easily.

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games