The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Turtles Forever OR Trans-Dimensional Turtles?
Turtles Forever 63 60.00%
Trans-Dimensional Turtles 42 40.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #141
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
How did those businesses reappear? They were run by Shredder in one district during the first season, and after the Technodrome was sent away from Earth, much of his criminal empire fell, reduced just to himself, Bebop and Rocksteady.
It wasn't meant to align with any continuity, just like how Bebop's and Rocksteady's human forms appeared in the streets and the whole movie in general does not follow any specific timeline in the Original Cartoon.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:13 AM   #142
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It wasn't meant to align with any continuity, just like how Bebop's and Rocksteady's human forms appeared in the streets and the whole movie in general does not follow any specific timeline in the Original Cartoon.
It feels Transdimensional Turtles sadly also ignores the timeline.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #143
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
The more I watch Turtles Forever the less I like it. Since Peter Laird was mainly behind the 2003 series, he thought it would be okay to treat the 1987 turtles like complete jokes in this special. The FW turtles didn't deserve that.
It's no secret Peter Laird doesn't like the FW, (y'know the show that made TMNT famous) so this was an opportunity to release all his dislike of the FW Turtles in a special. Also considering the timeframe he wasn't exactly going to make the 2003 TMNT look stupid right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
But the FW Turtles are a joke.
In your opinion.

Quote:
Thirdly, and I know some people have a hard time accepting this (especially on the internet), the FW TMNT cartoon isn't really an animation classic, nor is it going to remain in the pop culture consciousness for that many more decades. It was a massive hit back in it's day but it's ultimately just the typical trash of it's day. Beyond (arguably fading) nostalgia, the only thing that's notable about it is that it moved toys off the shelf like crazy and had ten straight seasons without making alterations to the title (never mind that four of them are extremely short though).
(calm deep breath) I wouldn't call the FW series an animation classic, it had it's flaws but I always feel you have the show out of context. The reason for this is you're 'assuming' you know it's place back then amongst other 80s cartoons when you weren't actually alive at that point. For instance I can't pretend to say that the Charlie Chaplin films are terrible when I wasn't alive at the time to compare it to stuff around it. I've watched a lot of 80s cartoons and with the talent of film/TV critique I would say I'm qualified to say what tier of quality each of those shows fall under. A lot fall under C which is medicore. Not terrible but really average. The FW series in terms of writing and presentation probably fell into Tier B. Tier A I would reserve for the first couple of seasons of The Real Ghostbusters for example. He-Man was probably B, I would put Transformers under C since that was really the toy commercial you're accusing the FW series of being. My point is that the FW series based on it's writing, (regardless of it's pop culture reputation) wasn't the best but amongst it's contemporaries was certainly not the worst. You need to give it more credit. I agree with you what you said a couple of weeks ago that if they went back, and worked out continuity and animation issues the show would be seen by today's generation as holding up better. But for a show that was at the time unique and engaged in my imagination with it's cool sci-fi plots it did a great job and made me the fan I am today.

Quote:
Uh huh... And I watched Lois & Clark, Superman TAS, Smallville and the Donner Superman movies growing up but they didn't all make an equal impact on me.
It's more a generation thing. You find it difficult to relate to TV shows or films that were shown while you've been living. We're all like that to extent, some people really hate black and white films. It's really about putting it all into context and appreciating that stuff.

Quote:
As for West's death and the revived interest in the '66 Batman show... Look, this kind of thing always happens when a celebrity dies, when Stan Lee dies you can bet sales for reprints of classic Marvel is going to go through the roof. And of course the home release of a once huge show that's been in copyright limbo for decades is going to sell well. The revived interest just isn't that surprising to me. It's going to fade away again eventually.
Quote:
I know. It's just that not everyone shares your sentiment and I don't think future generations will.
Nah, it's not a recent thing. As mentioned elsewhere West's popularity with the 66 Batman show has lasted since it was on the air. Some nostalgia is involved however the reason the 60s TV show has lasted in popularity is because it was so different to what came before. It came at exactly the right time to make a great impression and a huge impact on pop culture. That's not something that will ever really disappear. If you're talking about generations into the future well what makes you think people will remember TMNT in 100 years?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #144
Overlord

I don't care if people remember TMNT in 100 years. What it's important is that it's popular now.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #145
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
What it's important is that it's popular now.
Eh........Relatively speaking, sure.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #146
Overlord

Technodrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
The FW turtles saved the day with their explosive throwing stars. Also had some pretty cool moments in each fight scene they were involved in, which rarely happened in their own show.
Donatello used one in in "Return of the Technodrome" to break the Technodrome walls.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #147
ToTheNines
[sic]

Ok. Cool man.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #148
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Eh........Relatively speaking, sure.
Some things seem to survive just because older generations talk about how great it was.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #149
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Some things seem to survive just because older generations talk about how great it was.
Good and bad reputations can go a long way yes.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:15 AM   #150
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Good and bad reputations can go a long way yes.
Yes, a lot of things would probably be dead if it wasn't for that.