The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Turtles Forever OR Trans-Dimensional Turtles?
Turtles Forever 63 60.00%
Trans-Dimensional Turtles 42 40.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2016, 06:56 AM   #21
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It was just as disrespectful to the Fred Wolf show than Turtles Forever was. Raph saying how lame their fights were, "enough with the turtle power already", pointing out that the plot didn't make sense.

And retconning Krang's origin without marrying it to the information we already had about his past. They completely ignored a ton of FW lore in attempting to make Krang a Nick Utrom.
The Turtles in the old show at least said Turtle Power at least once a showing.

I can deal with the weapon comment, because lets be real, the rules of the 1980's.

Take He-man, he was allowed to show off his sword and look cool in victory poses, but god forbid he ever hit something with it. I thought the jab was pretty neat on how the old cartoons in general were held to a near impossible standard in regards to combat.

After season 1, the Turtles hardly every relied on there weapons unless they were dealing with robots, or cutting ray blasters in 2.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #22
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

Actually, I'm fully aware of how 'bad' the FW series is. I have a hard time watching more than an episode or two at any given time. But come on... there's a difference between playful ribbing at genuine faults and straight up getting them wrong. T-DT was the former and TF was the latter.
T-DT was funny because we could laugh along with the Nick Turltes at how much has changed in thirty years, on multiple levels of quality and audience acceptablilty. It's entirely possible to laugh at something while still being fond of it. Turtles Forever didn't really do that, it just portrayed the FW TMNT as interchangable annoying goofballs that were pretty inept at everything. Here they were just as competant as the Nick TMNT, only they clearly operated by their own set of rules.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #23
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Who cares?
Pretty much everyone tbh. Almost everything has something to do with OT: TMNT IDW, TMNT movies, Nick TMNT, toys, games...

I daresay OT is even more important and groundbreakingly impactful than Mirage TMNT/Prime turtles tbh.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:49 AM   #24
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It was just as disrespectful to the Fred Wolf show than Turtles Forever was. Raph saying how lame their fights were, "enough with the turtle power already", pointing out that the plot didn't make sense.

And retconning Krang's origin without marrying it to the information we already had about his past. They completely ignored a ton of FW lore in attempting to make Krang a Nick Utrom.
Bingo. But since it didn't have a brief shot of the FW Turtles crying (which even I dislike and wish they'd cut) it gets a free pass from the Fred Wolf die-hard fans while TF is completely loathed.

I'm not defending that scene -- it was a bit too mean-spirited. But the '87 Turtles were shown as capable in their own right in both crossovers. Their world has a different internal logic, and that contrast was played for laughs, but you can find plenty of respect for them in TF if you don't get too defensive and emotional at the jokes at their expense. (Which yes, again, the Nick show also did.)

Keep in mind also -- the point of 2003 Raphael insulting the '87 Turtles was to lead up to it being turned around on him, when the Mirage Turtles mocked him and roughed him up in return. The mesaage being that it's all relative.

Last edited by Bry; 03-31-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Pretty much everyone tbh. Almost everything has something to do with OT: TMNT IDW, TMNT movies, Nick TMNT, toys, games...

I daresay OT is even more important and groundbreakingly impactful than Mirage TMNT/Prime turtles tbh.
More like the toyline had influence. If you remove the stuff that was just there because Playmates demanded it, most of what would be left are forgotten or unpopular characters like Pinky McFingers and Vernon Fenwick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 AM   #26
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
More like the toyline had influence. If you remove the stuff that was just there because Playmates demanded it, most of what would be left are forgotten or unpopular characters like Pinky McFingers and Vernon Fenwick.
The OT toyline hadn't be on for a very long time, yet OT still thrives and kicking even moreso now. That's the lasting power of OT and worthy of recognition and respect.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 AM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
The OT toyline hadn't be on for a very long time, yet OT still thrives and kicking even moreso now. That's the lasting power of OT and worthy of recognition and respect.
What the hell are you talking about? The Fred Wolf cartoon was just a marketing vehicle for the toyline, pretty much all the ideas that people remember comes from the fact that they had the toys as kids. Most of the things about the cartoon that weren't there to market toys are not really remembered.

As for "worthy of respect", as a success in marketing maybe but the actual content and quality of the show is laughably bad. It has writing problems, animation errors and a distinct lack of proper editing, respecting it is like respecting Michael Bay movies. It might have made a lot of money but that doesn't mean it's not crap.

And if recognition is worthy of respect, well, based on real life conversations I have with people that should probably mean I should respect the 90's movie trilogy far more. Because guess what, it may not look like it based on merchandising but the Fred Wolf cartoon is overshadowed by those movies, anyone below the age of 30 is more likely to recognise them than the Fred Wolf cartoon.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #28
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Well the toys(?) compliment the cartoon and vice versa then. I see no problem with that.
The other series and movies have toys too but OT still reign supreme. Most things TMNT still borrow heavily from OT universe.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #29
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Well the toys(?) compliment the cartoon and vice versa then. I see no problem with that.
The other series and movies have toys too but OT still reign supreme. Most things TMNT still borrow heavily from OT universe.
I'm saying the toyline are where these ideas came from, using Mondo Gecko as an example ,who barely had a role in the cartoon mind you, is using an idea from the toyline. When you look at what was most likely not created for the toyline, then most of it is not being used.
And the Mirage comics and the 4Kids show are also inspiring new material a lot, so it's not a very strong defense to say things are pulling from it, of course they are going to draw from older material, I've seen people like Dan Slott pull from runs of Spider-Man nobody liked. The Fred Wolf cartoon does not "reign supreme" like you say, it was cancelled 20 years ago and there are probably more people who have seen the movies from the 90's than there are who watched the Fred Wolf cartoon.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 03-31-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Poking fun at the OT Turtles was the best part of both specials. The way they fought, Leo's battle cries, the incompetence of 80's Shredder and Krang, the nonsensical physics with Donatello making portal guns and pulling things out of nowhere, etc.

And this is coming from a huge fan of the original cartoon who marathons it every 2-3 years or so. They nailed them perfectly.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #31
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:

And this sums up my problems with the OT perfectly.

To answer the question, I still do like Turtles Forever more but its very close on Trans-Dimensional Turtles both have their problems however...
Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #32
Icebot
Foot Elite

I chose Transdimensional Turtles because it felt a lot more real with the original voice actors.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #33
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

Turtles Forever

Although i didn't like the way TF treated the OT, i'm still able to enjoy the film.

Could barely sit throught TDT. Had to keep telling myself "you can get through this" while watching. How 2k12 can even take jabs at OT is beyond me. Being how mindnumbingly stupid and low brow it is.

The 2D animation sucked, Krang looked like Honey boo boo's mother. And whats with his belt being so damn big?

It was/is pretty bad
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #34
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Krang looked like Honey boo boo's mother.
Hm...
Spoiler:

Oh my god, he really does! That's hilarious!
Hahahaha!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #35
Powder
So tired of this place

That was precisely the point, guys, it was a nod to that meme where her head's on Krang's body.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That was precisely the point, guys, it was a nod to that meme where her head's on Krang's body.
Now that I googled it, it's even funnier.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Could barely sit throught TDT. Had to keep telling myself "you can get through this" while watching. How 2k12 can even take jabs at OT is beyond me. Being how mindnumbingly stupid and low brow it is.
d
I don't see what's "low brow" about it since the Nick Turtles do fight more and have more realistic universe problems than the OT did.

The original cartoon was always a slapstick parody with crazy physics and stuff that didn't make sense. That's why a lot of us liked it, but when you compare it to more serious cartoons obviously that stuff is going to stand out.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #38
pferreira
Foot Elite

If only Trans-Dimensional Turtles had the animation of Turtles Forever.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
If only Trans-Dimensional Turtles had the animation of Turtles Forever.
They didn't spend too long in the 2D sections anyway.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #40
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I'm probably one of the few people who actually liked the flash animation style 2D depiction of the Fred Wolf universe. I feel like they were actually given an 80s feel, whereas in Turtles Forever they looked more 90s style. I will admit, I wish they had waited until after the events of the space travel storyarc to have this happen. I get that they were looking for an excuse to take the Nick Turtles back home to see Splinter again for a little bit, but it just convolutes everything what with the time travel thing going on.

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 03-31-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote