The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #341
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That seems to be a common trend nowadays, let's talk down the big man and knock him down a peg.

Idk, while Kirk could have used some humbling, Picard just seemed like a nicer, more serious dude that commanded respect.
Picard absolutely does not deserve a tongue lashing. At least not the Picard from TNG.

I still have a hard time believing Jean-Luc Picard, who faced down the Borg multiple times, the Romulans and Cardassians as well, and took such a pivotal role in the Klingon Empire's politics, would just go home to France to pout.

Look what he did on behalf of the Ba'ku, just a few hundred dumb farmers. Compared to an entire homeworld?

Fvck no. My man wouldn't give up. And you all know it.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #342
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Eh, it wasn't as bad as I feared. Seven mostly saved the episode, somehow. But man, some terrible writing.

Spoiler:
What exactly was the purpose in not just killing Icheb before extracting his implants? Or just giving him anesthetic? Like, what was the benefit? It just seems like an out-of-place gruesome scene just there for gruesome's sake. Also, would hugging Icheb while phasering him actually hurt Seven, too? By the same stroke that if you phaser someone in the toe, all of them disintegrates?

The charade with costumes was a whole lot of setup that ultimately went nowhere.

Raffi's son plot was a big nothing.

5 episodes in, halfway through the season... and we haven't even seen any space stuff aside from the brief scuffle last episode. We haven't seen a single Starfleet starship or anything.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-21-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #343
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Eh, it wasn't as bad as I feared. Seven mostly saved the episode, somehow. But man, some terrible writing.

Spoiler:
What exactly was the purpose in not just killing Icheb before extracting his implants? Or just giving him anesthetic? Like, what was the benefit? It just seems like an out-of-place gruesome scene just there for gruesome's sake.

The charade with costumes was a whole lot of setup that ultimately went nowhere.

Raffi's son plot was a big nothing.

5 episodes in, halfway through the season... and we haven't even seen any space stuff aside from the brief scuffle last episode.
Super gruesome. I did NOT like that. For fvck's sake, the character was a KID when we last saw him.

Now if they'd done it to Chakotay, well... still gruesome, but nowhere near as heartwrenching...

And Picard in costume was just silly. Stupid, even. I didn't care for it.

Seven definitely saved the episode.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #344
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Now if they'd done it to Chakotay, well... still gruesome, but nowhere near as heartwrenching...
Hah, true!

Quote:
And Picard in costume was just silly. Stupid, even. I didn't care for it.
And did they intentionally give him a terrible fake French accent? When the character is supposed to be French to begin with? I don't get it.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #345
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

It may just be a scheduling issue but did it bother anybody else that they recast both Bruce Maddox and Icheb? I mean Bruce Maddox I can almost understand that actor hasn't been working for years but the kid who played Icheb has still been playing Icheb for fan productions.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #346
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It may just be a scheduling issue but did it bother anybody else that they recast both Bruce Maddox and Icheb? I mean Bruce Maddox I can almost understand that actor hasn't been working for years but the kid who played Icheb has still been playing Icheb for fan productions.
Huh, I actually assumed it was the same actor for Icheb, but that was a distractingly different actor for Maddox. All that build-up to him and it's just some random curly-haired actor... lame. Also lame that they'd bring back Icheb (without even using the same actor) just to kill him off in 30 seconds so Seven can avenge someone.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #347
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I've had similar convos in the Star Trek Facebook group about the casting.

And what was with the implied romantic nonsense between 7 and the Body Harvester Chick? Was anyone else left with the a sense of some hanky panky going on there? What the hell was the point of that? What did it add?

Don't get me wrong, the idea of Jerri Ryan getting busy with another chick is an utterly tantalizing though, but it seemed like agenda-laden nonsense to me. I mean think about this... what was the statement, what took precedence there? That 7 was a jaded muff diver or that there was an evil chick... helllooo... harvesting bodies!

The exchange and messaging was complete nonsense!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #348
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
And what was with the implied romantic nonsense between 7 and the Body Harvester Chick? Was anyone else left with the a sense of some hanky panky going on there? What the hell was the point of that? What did it add?
It was the "our close, personal relationship" line from the Troi lookalike chick spoken all sultry-like. I was immediately thinking, "Oh, they used to mess around." But then all of Seven's next dialogue suggested no, that wasn't at all the case. But I'm still confused by it. Maybe they were? It's just so strange, from a writing standpoint. It seems the purpose of so many things in the episode is to build up Seven's anger and give her a villain to dispose of that the audience has been coaxed into hating. Which is fine... but they just did it really, really bizarrely. Also, what's so special about random Borg implants?
Old 02-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #349
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Also, what's so special about random Borg implants?
I don't know.... the only thing I got out of it was that since 7 was a Borg from childhood to adult life, then maybe she had stronger nanites in greater number than other converted who just had surface tech.

But even so - I mean clearly civilizations have been studying the Borg now for years. Even if only based on the single Borg cube and the drones you'd figure that people could just synthesize Borg parts.

I dunno. It's all a mess that has the most superficial of cliche writing.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #350
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

See I totally miss that subtext so I guess I need to watch it again to see if I catch it the second time.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #351
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
See I totally miss that subtext so I guess I need to watch it again to see if I catch it the second time.
It was weird man. But the awkwardness goes further than just out context for the character - it was intentionally directed or acted in such a manner that you can't help but feel that the showrunners are so mired in agenda that now they lost their intent by including it in a half-assed and weird manner if only to pander to the same-sex community without actually going there.

There are eye glances, and tonality and 7 is reinforcing "I am the one that got away" and there's this double entente about it where your left feeling like "yes this is about her escaping a villain, but also it's one jaded woman trying to provoke her ex into reinforcing how she'll never have her again which actually means she's still jaded as hell in the first place". And then there are these replies - it's just a mess of half-in half-out innuendo that was very strange. It's almost like you are left feeling that 7 was molested or raped or something by body-harvester-chick, only she enjoyed it and was saddened by their parting.

And if there was no intention for this weird display of shrouded same sexuality by the showrunners, then at the very least the whole exchange was very misdirected and poorly acted.

Last edited by IMJ; 02-21-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #352
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

It would seem that the actor who played Icheb in Voyager tweeted back in 2017 in support of Kevin Spacey when Anthony Rapp said that he sexually assaulted him and that is probably why he was not asked to reprise his role.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #353
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It would seem that the actor who played Icheb in Voyager tweeted back in 2017 in support of Kevin Spacey when Anthony Rapp said that he sexually assaulted him and that is probably why he was not asked to reprise his role.
Oh jeeze. That's probably it exactly, then. Probably also explains Icheb's hasty death... it's TPTB "killing" the actor, too. Metaphorically, since this takes off the board his chance to ever reprise the part.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #354
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Okay, I'm not saying to support child molesters, okay? Don't do that.

However, as a point if there ever is a physical, true Civil War in this country mark my words that there's going to be a list of cancel-culture-strategists and those people are going down, man. They lived cancel culture and in some kind of a civil war, they'd be the first to be cancelled.

Cancel culture is ****in evil manifested into action under the guise of social justice. And that is exactly why social justice is bull $#!(. We can vote with our dollars and our business, but the outcry to destroy lives because of old tweets.... oh man, I can't even describe the anger I have about empowering complainers like that.

Cancel culture is not free market selection - it's group vigilantism.

-Waits for someone to be clever and state that cancel culture is a free market response because companies don't HAVE to let people go. I can't wait to shed the light on that foolish justification-
Old 02-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #355
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Wait, that wasn't the OG Icheb actor? I thought it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Seven should NOT be a lesbian. Voyager c0ckblocked the EMH Doctor at every turn, and DAMMIT, Doctor and Seven had amazing chemistry! I want my Seven/Doctor romance to be official, dammit, and so should you!

Quote:
It was the "our close, personal relationship" line from the Troi lookalike chick spoken all sultry-like.
She looked WAY too much like Deanna Troi. That was super weird.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #356
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Watching Angry Joe's midseason review and it dawned on me...what happened to Soji's human friend who didn't know Romulans could be so hot?

Old 02-28-2020, 01:20 AM   #357
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Covering 4 and 5 now. This one, I didn't find myself disagreeing at all, really. And it gets into the Icheb/Icheb actor thing. The actor's character was burned as an effigy of the actor for social justice. For what he said on Twitter.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:32 AM   #358
newfan
Mad Scientist

I am two eps behind, just catching up. I was not expecting that first scene, guy crying out as his eye was being pulled out. Never thought I would be turning the volume down on Star Trek.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #359
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Picard episode #07 was accidentally released in Japan instead of #06
https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/epis...-japan.303248/
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #360
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Last night's episode was awesome.

Soji and Narek were finally interesting!