The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Isn't IDW the king of licensed comics nowadays? It seems like almost any comic based on an existing cartoon/movie/videogame franchise is picked up by IDW now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #42
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Isn't IDW the king of licensed comics nowadays? It seems like almost any comic based on an existing cartoon/movie/videogame franchise is picked up by IDW now.
The American comic book industry is largely built around recognisability, that is why Marvel and DC has such big market shares. IDW getting a lot licenses is probably just part of that strategy.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #43
Vicky82
Emperor

Spoiler:

Dimension x issue 1

issue 2

issue 3

issue 4

issue 5

Trial of Krang wrap round cover

Spoiler:

TMNT/Usagi crossover

Spoiler:

Interior art by Stan Sakai

IDW Publishing‏@IDWPublishing 32s
.@usagiguy says in addition to the one-shot Usagi/TMNT crossover he has an idea for a 5-issue miniseries that he hopes to one day get to

Last edited by Vicky82; 07-22-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #44
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Spoiler:
No!!! He got the fuzzy thing D8 !

Leatherhead Vs Hakk-r...what fun that will be.

From the looks of things, it doesn't seem like other Utroms are involved,
but something seems off about that?
Old 07-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #45
Powder
So tired of this place

I had no idea Khary Randolph was getting involved, how awesome!!!

For those who don't know, he did a bunch of work on the 4kids series, his most notable efforts being several covers for the DVD releases. He's an awesome & super talented dude who I've long wanted to see on art duties for an issue or two. Raaaad.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #46
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Is it just me, or does that thumbnail image in the first video about what's coming for the TMNT make everyone look like they're doing a Charlies Angels homage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
When it comes to IDW getting the Sonic license, I'm less interested in any crossover than I am in the direction of the Sonic comic itself.

I've never really read Archie's Sonic comics, but I know the general idea is that it was essentially a tie-in to those early Sonic cartoons that ended up running long after they were cancelled. As such, it was full of characters and weird concepts (like some "Planet of the Apes"/"Terminator"-fusion type setting) that have nothing to with the actual games, just a weird remnant of early marketing.

So are IDW going to bother using these things to please Archie Sonic's fanbase, or stick to what the games have established to give it a broader appeal? Maybe something in between?
I'm guessing in between, something similar to what was done with the Turtles. Stick to the Sega Sonic stuff and world, but slowly integrate things from across the different media as it goes on. I'll be surprised if the characters used by Archie that Sega owns don't show up at some point, even if it's as some kind of side team in the world.

Quote:
It's between IDW and Dark Horse. Prior to recent years, I'd have said that Dark Horse were the king. They've had the rights to Aliens, Predator and AVP for about as long as either have been in comic books. They had Robocop, Terminator and Army of Darkness for long stretches of time. The Star Wars license stuck with them for decades before the Disney acquisition. Conan's another of their mainstays. Buffy's been with them for a long time, including all the spin-offs there. Avatar: The Last Airbender hit comics through them.

It's only in the last ten years or so that IDW's started acquiring licenses and putting them to good use.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #47
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
My best case fan-scenario. IDW acquires the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book license and they do a TMNT crossover. It came SO CLOSE to happening in 1994.
Well, IDW just announced on their twitter that they've acquired the Sonic license and they'll publish a new series in 2018.

So we'll see what comes of that.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #48
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Well, IDW just announced on their twitter that they've acquired the Sonic license and they'll publish a new series in 2018.

So we'll see what comes of that.
Chime into the debate as to whether it should or shouldn't happen!
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...59#post1700759

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #49
funatic
Mad Scientist

So was there any big news at this panel? Looks mostly likely projects we already knew about? Maybe I missed something.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #50
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
When it comes to IDW getting the Sonic license, I'm less interested in any crossover than I am in the direction of the Sonic comic itself.

I've never really read Archie's Sonic comics, but I know the general idea is that it was essentially a tie-in to those early Sonic cartoons that ended up running long after they were cancelled. As such, it was full of characters and weird concepts (like some "Planet of the Apes"/"Terminator"-fusion type setting) that have nothing to with the actual games, just a weird remnant of early marketing.

So are IDW going to bother using these things to please Archie Sonic's fanbase, or stick to what the games have established to give it a broader appeal? Maybe something in between?
Question is how much of the archie lore they can actually use if they wanted to. While it's true the series was originally based on the sonic cartoons and mostly the Saturday morning one it eventually kind of spun out and became it's own thing with original characters and ideas while adating the games every once and awhile.I stopped reading it years ago but last I heard there was a big legal issue with one of the main writers that lead to them having to reboot the whole series to be closer to the games. A lot of the stuff that defined Archie's sonic might be off limits because of that
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #51
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
Question is how much of the archie lore they can actually use if they wanted to.
Very little, I'd imagine, since Sonic Chronicles using ideas from Ken Penders time with the Archie comic is what kicked off the entire lawsuit to begin with. It wasn't even over use of any characters, since they didn't carry any over to the game, directly anyway. It's probably too much of a risk. Whether that's a bad thing is up to individual opinion.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #52
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Bump for the wrap around cover
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote