The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Donnie
Something from the Past

1990 Prime 1 TMNT Statues Review Thread

I searched the forums and could not find a thread relating to these, so I decided to start a review thread.

I received my Prime 1 1990 Donatello statue in the mail yesterday.

It's a beautiful piece. The price was hefty, but worth it. Wish I could afford another. Overall, this sculpt is near-perfect, and his belt is tightly secured on his plastron and shell. The base is huge and very detailed.

My one and only gripe would be that his bo staff slides down his hand lower than the display photo shows. But besides that, I am 100% happy with him.

Did anybody else get one of these? They were limited to a production of 750.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Guile
Banned

While I didn't get any, I can say they look better than the recent NECA figures from the photos I have seen of them.
Guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Looks stunning but I just can't justify the price at this point...the NECA ones sufficiently scratch the itch. I'd love to get the set but rather put the money towards other collectibles. Sweet pickup though!
Old 07-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

I got Raph only as I could only afford my favorite but I can confirm, these are gorgeous. Even though they're not as accurate as the Neca figures, they're still very nicely done and I'm happy to own it.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Lil Karai
Stone Warrior

Nice statue, but I think the NECA sculpt is more faithful to the likeness from the movie. I get that some people just prefer statues over action figures, so it's cool there is an option for each preference.

EDIT: here's a video review of them
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=feoN1GEfxeE

Last edited by Lil Karai; 07-17-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Lil Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

I always thought these looked more like Secret of the Ooze Turtles than the The Original Movie. Glad to see these are shipping out finally.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

There's pros and cons to these statues. However the cons outweigh the pros for me. Even if the price point was the same as the NECA 1/4 figures, I'd pass on these. Out of the four, I think Raphael looks pretty good. I think I need to see more pics from fans to really make any further judgement and/or warm up to this set.

Also, I agree with these looking a bit more like Secret of the Ooze turtles...like a mash-up of both the original and the sequel.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverNinja View Post
There's pros and cons to these statues. However the cons outweigh the pros for me. Even if the price point was the same as the NECA 1/4 figures, I'd pass on these.
While I'll agree that they do seem overpriced, there's not a chance you'll ever find a statue this large for $80-$100. Not sure if you're suggesting that the price is too high by $500 on the statues or if you're just saying that you dislike them that much. But as a longtime collector of statues, I'll just say that you will never find any licensed or official statue of this size that is under $300.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

I posted this in the NECA thread, but I'll post it here as well:

When these were revealed, I was stoked. But that price tag was very unattractive. So glad NECA came out with an alternative; and as nice as these are, in my opinion, NECA puts them to shame.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #10
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
While I'll agree that they do seem overpriced, there's not a chance you'll ever find a statue this large for $80-$100. Not sure if you're suggesting that the price is too high by $500 on the statues or if you're just saying that you dislike them that much. But as a longtime collector of statues, I'll just say that you will never find any licensed or official statue of this size that is under $300.
This.

I understand if some people don't care for the sculpts, but, I'd bet you'd never find beautiful statues like these for less than what they're going for. I did the payment plan.

Out of all four, I think Michelangelo and Leonardo look the most accurate to the 1990 film. I don't really see the SOTO Turtles like some do, I see the 1990 TMNT, albeit with some slight alterations that probably weren't intended. But it gives these bad boys a little unique quality of their own. Proud to own Donatello!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I caved and got the set. Surprisingly, I think Mike looks the worst. The paint on his bandana just doesn't work for me, and there's a certain "deadness" to his eyes that the others don't have. I think Leo turned out great--it caught me off-guard, honestly, because I really didn't like his face in the prototype pictures.

I do wish that the faces of the TMNT showed more emotion (baring teeth, scrunched eyebrows, etc), but in general these do look very nice in person. The NECA figures look great, especially at their price, but these statues are in an entirely different arena. It's not a simple 1:1 comparison as many are making it out to be.

Are these the best or most amazing statues in my collection? No, not close. But they're well done and are strong representation of the Henson designs.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Got around to opening my Don and checking it over. Really happy with it. Definitely the center piece of my collection now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0746.jpg (90.9 KB, 35 views)
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #13
RaphAttitude
Mouser

Just wanted to share a few photo's. I got the set, and theyre excellent!! Will share the other turtles in a bit!

RaphAttitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #14
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Nice photos? How do you like that king Conan? I have Chronicle's old Arnie from the most recent Terminator, and while it's good, I do feel like it was overpriced relative to what $600 gets you from other companies.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #15
RaphAttitude
Mouser

Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 AM   #16
RaphAttitude
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Nice photos? How do you like that king Conan? I have Chronicle's old Arnie from the most recent Terminator, and while it's good, I do feel like it was overpriced relative to what $600 gets you from other companies.

King Conan was done real well. For the edition size of only 300, Id say yes. Totally worth the price of King Conan. I did see old Terminator Arnie, which wasnt painted by the same company (Toynami) as Conan. Id have to agree, $450 tops would have been ideal. But I think the license was what made the price $600.

Last edited by RaphAttitude; 09-23-2017 at 12:51 AM.