The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Collecting stuff

So, as we all know by now, lots of people collect stuff. What kind of stuff do you collect?

For me that's a hard question to answer tbh... I mean I own pretty much every Adventures of Tintin book and most Astérix ones, but that happened rather naturally. Also many were bought by my parents since both love those comic book series as well. I also own a bunch of video games as does my brother, which we'd call "our video game collection"... but we don't really think about it as such, know what I mean? We buy games to play them cuz we like games. I know that there's different type of collectors, but I'm not one of those people who buys every SNES game just to say they own every single SNES game ever. Yeah I'm not interested in owning games like Shaq Fu or Rise of the Robots just for the sake of it. A game to me is to play and enjoy. Not to sit on a shelf for show off purposes.

At some point I was a wrestling and TMNT action figures collector... but I've never been the type to leave toys unopen. I was a kid. I wanted to play with them. Got very few in their boxes. And since I've outgrown playing with toys I don't see the point in buying them anymore.

So yeah, I guess I collect video games, but don't really think myself as a collector of them despite owning more games than I'm willing to count and making an inventory of, you know?

What about you? What do you collect and what type of collector would you say you are?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

TMNT: Everything imaginable (bulk of which being comics/toys/original art)
Nintendo: Games, figures, posters, books (The Legend Of Zelda/Pokemon in forefront)
Anime: Figures, mainly (Lucky Star/K-on!/Mobile Suit Gundam take the lead)
Other: Gaki No Tsukai collectibles, 50 cent machine capsule toys, bandanas, buttons, Calvin & Hobbes books, Kung-Fu movies, prolly more.

I'm super hardcore when it comes to TMNT, but I'm not exactly a completionist. I buy what I want, open it, enjoy it. No MOC toys, graded comics, etc. I don't need every variant, or every individual character's figure. I have a MASSIVE collection which features near-complete sets on many fronts, but there are definitely some holes in it. I don't have to buy anything I see with TMNT branding on it, though the temptation often times is there. Can't act like I haven't pulled the trigger a lot, 'cause I definitely have. But when it's a practical item, like clothes, drinking glasses, etc. there's no harm in that so long as it's being put to good use.

I am a big-time Nintendo fan but I'm not really into the whole gamer or game collecting thing. I've only ever bought what I wanted, & that just happened to become a collection by proxy, same case as you. As a member of Club Nintendo & subscriber to Nintendo Power, I amassed a sizable amount of Posters, & I buy figures of my favorite characters if the quality is on point (half vinyl, half Figma/Nendoroid). I also have a chunk of Zelda/Pokemon manga, as well as some guides/magazines/etc. relating to the former.

Anime-wise, I buy figures of characters I really really like + Gundam model kits. Have a nice assortment, nothing too crazy. If these goods were more accessible than ordering online from Japan, I'd probably have double what I do now, honestly.

I like having stuff on display. My shelves are all very busy arrangements of collector figures. Gives me good vibes every time I walk in the room as I'm surrounded by things I love, + it's fun to tinker with posing/photography. Adds a creative element (not to mention the Gundam kits are a build process, with paint/refining work).

I dunno how I would classify myself, as a collector. I say I'm a TMNT collector, beyond that, couldn't say. I just get stuff I like & when the numbers add up, a collection is formed.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Fan wise.... At present, mostly just TMNT stuff. And just the pieces I like most. Don't have the space or money to own literally everything and anything just because.

Though I've kind of gotten a thing for TMNT collecting books, esp vintage storybooks, since they don't take up much space. A couple faves are a vintage FW pop-up book and 2003 Leo's scrapbook... adorably made to look like it's actually by him and the actual author as a ghost writer. (The original printing isn't easy to come by, at least for an affordable price, but manged to find one, even if it has some definite wear on it, but that's okay.)

Also, just TMNT stuff in general that's a little different. Things that aren't the same old thing/print or whatever we see over and over.

Beyond that, it's mostly random things...

Kind of have a thing for stuffed animals still. But the more unique the better. i.e. A baby stingray from Sea World I got years ago, a purple octopus with a furry pink underside from Disney, a "giant" squid from the Natural History Museum in D.C., a spider that I think came from the shop at a Cracker Barrel while returning from another trip. (They don't all come from trips, but some of the most notable ones have. lol) And many others, including the most recent addition of the big two-headed snake.

Bonus collection... I can't bring myself to throw away a fortune cookie fortune. I tend to keep them all. Many of them are in a cup by the computer.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

In terms of TMNT I have all the comics (I have all of Mirage, Archie and IDW), but I downsized my collection when trades come out.

In terms of the toys I have all the original Playmates toys that I want (not many Turtle variants, but all the mutants), but I sold off most of my 2k3 figure line beyond about 10 figures. I also don't really collect any TMNT statues or toys anymore, but I like seeing them.

In terms of videogames, I just buy the games I want, I don't consider it "collecting" since I play them obviously. I have all the Nintendo consoles and Sony games dating back to the early 2000's. I probably have 500 games total if I were to count them, but it doesn't matter.

Other than that I don't collect anything anymore. I have some DVDs/blu-rays of course, but now I just watch everything online.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
In terms of TMNT I have all the comics (I have all of Mirage, Archie and IDW), but I downsized my collection when trades come out.

In terms of the toys I have all the original Playmates toys that I want (not many Turtle variants, but all the mutants), but I sold off most of my 2k3 figure line beyond about 10 figures. I also don't really collect any TMNT statues or toys anymore, but I like seeing them.

In terms of videogames, I just buy the games I want, I don't consider it "collecting" since I play them obviously. I have all the Nintendo consoles and Sony games dating back to the early 2000's. I probably have 500 games total if I were to count them, but it doesn't matter.

Other than that I don't collect anything anymore. I have some DVDs/blu-rays of course, but now I just watch everything online.
I still have lots of wrestling and TMNT action figures left. Many of them have scratches and some even are missing an arm or a hand. That's what happens when you play so much with them.

I don't think my NES or my Saturn work anymore, so owning NES and Saturn games probably doesn't really count anymore. Plus, lots of NES classics have been digitally released on modern Nintendo consoles anyway.

A lot of people don't like digital copies but I don't mind them at all. My apartment does not have unlimited space.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I only currently collect TMNT related things. But I have several pop culture related collections (to much to list) gathered throughout the years. Also have books, magazines, hats, old tools, sports cards and knives from collecting many years ago.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I collected comics for years(mostly Marvel but a few DC and others, like Elfquest and Red Sonya), but not as much now. No money or space for it. I started a TMNT figure collection- and a dollhouse decor collection by proxy- for my turtle figure pics. It has grown a lot bigger than I ever expected lol! I also have a small collection of Ty Beanies and other small beanie-type plushes. Most recent are a life-like cheetah cub and sea turtle from a local zoo gift shop.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
sdp
-

I love collecting and can start collecting pretty much anything since I'm a completest but also space/money has been the biggest issue and the main reason of downsizing my collections.

But having a smaller but more curated collection is also cool and makes me feel less of a hoarder.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I collect NECA( Mostly Evil Dead figures Batman and Bill and Ted)
Doctor Who Merchandise
Comics (DC and Some Marvel)
Autobiographies( I have both Bruce Campbell's and Ron Perlman's as of now)
Movies( Blu Ray's ( Steelbooks Digibooks etc) and DVD's
Marvel Legends ( Currently just GOTG Vol 2 Figures and maybe Netflix/X-men)
DC Collectibles (just have Constantine)
Music ( Mostly Digital but I have some physical some cd's with DVD's and an Autographed NSP Album)
Old 10-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

TMNT, video game, cartoon and movie related stuff. Plushies, figures and general items. Only things I really like or were given to me as gifts

One of the more interesting things I have are keychains. I didn’t purposely get into them though. Over time I happen to accumulate a bunch of them from different places and general collecting

I have keychains of Sonic, TMNT, transformers, car brands, tv shows, generic everyday things, miniature toys etc.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I've slowed down a lot in the past few years, but I have a fair collection of TMNT and Master of the Universe toys. I've got a small collection of Batman stuff, and I've still got a buttload of McFarlane toys.

I've got a reasonably big DVD and Blu-ray collection, and I've recently started accumulating replica human skulls. I say replica; only a couple of them are really anatomically correct, but they're roughly life size for the most part, and importantly, not real. I wouldn't be comfortable with a real human skull in my house. It seems disrespectful.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I collect video games.
Mostly retro (NES, Atari, Genesis, Gameboy, etc.), but I also collect newer stuff like Saturn or PS1/PS2 games.
I also collect bootleg games and systems. You never know what you'll get when you buy on of these, and I love that about bootlegs. I make an effort to buy any bootleg games/consoles I can get my hands on.

I also collect a good amount of books.
As far as comics go, I mostly only buy TMNT. It's pretty hard finding the older comics here in my area, but I've managed to get a pretty good collection of Mirage issues.
I also collect various manga/light novel series that I'm into.

I've collected action figures from various lines throughout the years. I've collected Transformers, NECA Aliens, NECA Predators, Marvel Legends, MOTU, among others.
I've since slowed down on my figure purchases. Now I stick to just buying figures based off specific characters I'm into. Although I still buy more Marvel Legends than anything (for the sake of completing certain teams and shelves).

A big one I've been collecting for years are Garbage Pail Kids.
The newer cards may kinda suck, but I still buy the new sets that come out.
The OS stuff was almost always great, so I still collect that.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote