The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #101
Gin Rummy
Stone Warrior

Sonic 2 was one of the 1st games I ever played. Well not really, my Older brother played Sonic, I was stuck with Tails. We'd start running together, I'd get hung up by the 1st enemy or so, & I wouldn't see the screen again until the stage was clear! (Thank You 4 year old reaction time.)

But I got the last laugh during boss battles. Where Tails' curse of immortality comes in good use! Those where good times.

I Never saw much of the cartoons be it SAT:AM, or Sonic X. & Aside from Sonic Adventure on the DC, I've avoided the 3d Sonic games. But I've heard Colors was good, & Lost Worlds looks pretty sweet.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #102
miru
Mad Scientist

Is it just me or does Zazz (new villain from Lost World) look like Fishface?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #103
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Is it just me or does Zazz (new villain from Lost World) look like Fishface?
It's just you.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #104
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

60 FPS footage of Sonic Lost World on Wii U.

I'm not sure if the flash player version lets you play it at 60FPS or not. I downloaded the file (there is a link right under the video player) and played it locally to make sure it plays at 60FPS

Looks very smooth!!

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_soni...-30604_en.html
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #105
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I don't even own a Wii U, but I'm tempted to pre-order Sonic: Lost World anyway if it means I can secure a copy of the "Deadly Six Edition" with the NiGHTS inspired content.
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/08/22/son...bonus-edition/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #106
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I don't even own a Wii U, but I'm tempted to pre-order Sonic: Lost World anyway if it means I can secure a copy of the "Deadly Six Edition" with the NiGHTS inspired content.
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/08/22/son...bonus-edition/
Just to let you know, The deadly six edition is similar to the Sonic and all stars racing transformed special edition...wherever you pre order the game from, it will have the exclusive content on it.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #107
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Just to let you know, The deadly six edition is similar to the Sonic and all stars racing transformed special edition...wherever you pre order the game from, it will have the exclusive content on it.
Oh, good, I was wondering about that when I read the description. So will the Deadly Six Edition merely come with the content already unlocked from the beginning?

View my sketch work!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #108
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Oh, good, I was wondering about that when I read the description. So will the Deadly Six Edition merely come with the content already unlocked from the beginning?
It comes with everything the normal version comes with, along with the DLC content..which I think may be a code that needs to be redeemed.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #109
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Sonic Adventure is one of my games of all time but it looks like Sonic Lost World might just surpass it....

Everything looks perfect. Like This is Sega's perfect 3D Sonic Game!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #110
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I know most people will compare the new game mechanic to Mario Galaxy, but it reminds me quite a bit of the test footage that was released of the infamous Sonic X-treme for Saturn back in the 90s. I don't think Saturn was the right system to pull off the cool concepts seen in Sonic Xtreme, but now we finally might see it done right!
I agree with you that people will say it's just a Mario Galaxy rip-off but it really was a SEGA idea back in 1997 with Sonic Xtreme. I just wish Knuckles was in it in some way....
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #111
Pxndx
Hench Mutant

Is there anyone else here who has never beaten a sonic game? Sonic 2 was the closest I've came to beating one and I never been able to do it.
Pxndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #112
Roland
is Laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxndx View Post
Is there anyone else here who has never beaten a sonic game? Sonic 2 was the closest I've came to beating one and I never been able to do it.
I have beaten Sonic the hedgehog 1, 2 and 3 but I think the easiest to complete is Sonic 1 for sega master system or sega game gear. Try the master system one. It's one of my favourites to play from time to time.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #113
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

I never beat Sonic 3D Blast. Ugh. That game is stupidly awkward.
Otherwise I have played and beat Sonic 1, 2+, 3+, Knuckles, and Spinball.
(+ = connected to Sonic and Knuckles)

I dont remember my completion of Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (both Gamecube ports). I think I beat SA2 and I think I completed a couple characters in SA but I dont remember too much. I think I traded the games away too.

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #114
Roland
is Laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza View Post
I never beat Sonic 3D Blast. Ugh. That game is stupidly awkward.
Otherwise I have played and beat Sonic 1, 2+, 3+, Knuckles, and Spinball.
(+ = connected to Sonic and Knuckles)

I dont remember my completion of Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (both Gamecube ports). I think I beat SA2 and I think I completed a couple characters in SA but I dont remember too much. I think I traded the games away too.
Sweet. I did complete Sonic 3D Blast but I used game saves. The game is definately akward to play. When I jump to attack eggman I miss alot of the times.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #115
ledahead
Banned

I grew up playing Sonic 2 on the Genesis and I still like Sonic. More recently I have played Sonic 3 and that is a pretty good game. Some people don't like Sonic Adventure but I thought it was a cool game. I have played Sonic CD and that is a fan favorite but I found it really short and not that great but I think there is a specific way you have to play the game and it is more than just going through levels from start to finish and beating the boss. I would like to try playing the game again the correct way. Lately I have bought Sonic Generations and that is a really cool game. Several of the old school levels have been recreated in 3d with updated music and the game is a lot of fun. It is the perfect blend of old and new Sonic.
ledahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #116
oldmanwinters
Overlord

So apparently, Lost World hit Europe today. Any early buyers want to share their thoughts?

View my sketch work!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #117
Prowler
Emperor

I've only played the classic Mega Drive/Genesis games, except for Sonic CD, that is.

Sonic 2 is my favorite, by far. Whenever I pick up that game I always end up playing it until the end.

Sonic 1 is kinda average these days, and I honestly dislike Marble and Labyrinth zones.

3 is better than 1 but not as good as 2.

Sonic & Knuckles is decent. Replacing Tails with Knuckles was a pretty good idea.

Sonic 3D... well that was the last Sonic game I've played. Take a guess why...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #118
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

For those of you who havent played it, you should really try Sonic 2 Adventure Battle its a great game!
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #119
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I've only played the classic Mega Drive/Genesis games, except for Sonic CD, that is.

Sonic 2 is my favorite, by far. Whenever I pick up that game I always end up playing it until the end.

Sonic 1 is kinda average these days, and I honestly dislike Marble and Labyrinth zones.

3 is better than 1 but not as good as 2.

Sonic & Knuckles is decent. Replacing Tails with Knuckles was a pretty good idea.

Sonic 3D... well that was the last Sonic game I've played. Take a guess why...
Really can't argue Sonic has always been a great 2d game character, but sega has struggled at time to make a good 3d sonic game.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #120
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Has anyone played Lost World yet?

I'm playing on 3ds and let me just say... It. Is. AWESOME.

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1328/1/...l#.UpRFROIcV9Y

When the story starts, I thought were gonna have a lame ass kid friendly story they usually spoonfed us all this time. Nope. Eggman was flying whilst carrying some animal captive in a container and let it fall to the ground, leaving Sonic and Tails to rescue them. Pretty despicable, now that's how I like my villain.

The gameplay , some people said its kinda like Mario Galaxy, and I've played it too myself. But I much prefer the hedgehog, in terms of visual and abilities. It plays smoothly and I think it's good that they place a run button now or we'll skidded off out of control.

Back to the story, Eggman's a badass cruel villain. Sonic has this brattish quip and asshole like attitude (being the coolest person does that to you), Tails has gotten cocky (blame Sonic for that), Amy's not being a nuisance but now a caring gentle girl, Knuckles with his own ego belittling Sonic, even the deadly six monsters' speeches are wonderful to hear..I love it. Am I dreaming? An actual Sonic game where I don't have to cringe when I hear them read the script?

I mean every words that comes out of the characters mouth aren't some nonsense the writers just pulled out of their ass. There's actually chemistry and depth among them and I can feel them.

This is heaven. And the lovely gameplay is just wonderful.

Love it so far, can't wait to play more.

And I'm definitely getting a Wii U for this gem.

---------------

Here's a review I just read. A glowing 8/10.

Quote:
http://www.cubed3.com/review/1328/1/...l#.UpRFROIcV9Y

The story of the game is told in cut-scenes that appear either before or after nearly every level and feature a group of antagonists called The Deadly Six that Sonic and his buddy Tails have to face. Dr. Eggman and his trusty minion robots Orbot and Cubot also make an appearance and they certainly provide the most entertaining moments throughout the story. How does the gameplay hold up, though? Well, it's a very enjoyable experience for the most part that's hampered by some instances of poor level design and mechanics.

Let's get to what it does right first. A major change to the formula comes in the form of a parkour system that allows Sonic to scale and run alongside walls and grab onto ledges. It controls quite well, improving the flow of the game and allowing level design that wasn't possible before, such as running and jumping between walls. The ability to save oneself from certain death by grabbing onto ledges is also much appreciated.

Another change was made to Sonic's speed. While there's still some acceleration by simply moving with the Circle Pad, it's only possible run fast by holding down the right shoulder button. Parkour functions are mapped to that button, as well, giving the player full control over Sonic's abilities. The spin dash is also back and activated by briefly holding down the Y button to obtain an extra boost that's even faster than simply running, which is often required in 2D sections and very fun to activate.

Overall, the basic controls are very satisfying to use.

Although Sonic is packing his trusty homing attack and a new somersault move that can be used to stun enemies, sometimes his abilities aren't enough to overcome the challenges ahead of him and he has to make use of a variety of Wisp power-ups, that were first seen in Sonic Colours. Unlike the Wii U version of the game, levels that feature Wisps are actually designed with them in mind and not randomly placed in a way that it feels pointless to even use them.

Particularly fun to use are the Ivory Lightning and Indigo Asteroid Wisps. Ivory Lightning turns Sonic into a lightning bolt that can quickly ram into enemies and generate threads of electricity to connect with charge coils scattered throughout a level. Indigo Asteroid, instead, can be used to cause anything that Sonic touches to disintegrate and surrounds him to increase his reach.

While a majority of stages are well-designed and very fun to play, there are a select few that really hold the game back from being something truly special. Perhaps the most frustrating one is a snowy level where the goal is to push snowballs around to make them larger and eventually roll them into a hole to advance - something that is the complete opposite of the rest of the game when it comes to pacing. It's made even worse by an enemy snowball that chases the player throughout the majority of the stage with the goal to make the snowball mechanic as annoying as possible.

Other problems include sudden camera or gravity switches in some 2D stages and forced usage of the gyroscope for some segments that would work just as well with the Circle Pad. Fortunately, extra lives are placed fairly throughout levels so some deaths caused by poor game design won't result in Game Overs that would trigger the player to lose progress in what can be moderately-long stages at 10-15 minutes each.

Gameplay

Featuring a balanced mix of 2D and 3D stages that utilise the new parkour system and Wisps, the game delivers a lot of fun for the most part. Unfortunately, some particularly questionable and frustrating game design choices every now and then and forced use of the gyroscope in some segments prevent it from being as good as it could be.

Graphics

The scope and graphical detail found in a variety of levels is very commendable for a 3DS game that runs - for the most part - very smoothly. The cut-scenes, however, suffer from a poor conversion from its Wii U counterpart and can look quite blurry, which is a shame given that the system is more than capable of displaying sharp CGI cut-scenes, as seen in games such as Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Sound

Sonic games have often received a lot of praise for their soundtracks in the past and this one is no different, featuring catchy reoccurring music, such as its main theme or the theme of The Deadly Six, and very enjoyable stage soundtracks that cover a wide range of musical styles tailored to the setting of each one. The voice acting is well done overall, with particular highlights being Dr. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot.

Value

The main game is rather short and can be completed in roughly six hours, but doing so unlocks a Hard mode which features tougher, remixed versions of every level. On top of that, there's a secret world to unlock on both difficulty levels. Materials earned by finishing stages can be spent at Tails' Lab to create item capsules or build a variety of RC vehicles that can be summoned to help Sonic out and even transferred to the Wii U version. In addition to a Time Attack mode with online leaderboards, Dimps also added a VS mode that can be played locally with support for download play or online against friends and random players.

Cubed3 Rating

8/10
Great - Silver Award

While some infrequent instances of poor game design prevent the game from being an absolute success, it's still a very worthy entry in the Sonic franchise that can keep up with and, in some areas, even surpass its home console counterpart. With a relative lack of 3D platformers available for the system, 3DS owners should definitely consider giving Sonic Lost World a try. Fans of the series that already own it on the Wii U may want to pick up this version, too, as it features different levels and offers enough content to warrant a purchase.
Quote:
The voice acting is well done overall, with particular highlights being Dr. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot.
I like this part, it's a rarity in Sonic games and I'm glad someone else picked up on how good the voice acting is for this game!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic