The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The Future of Video-Games

So a big topic of conversation between my friends and me lately is the future of video-games. Supposedly the PS4 is being announced on Februany ($5 foot longs) 20th by Sony. We'll have to wait and see what that's about.

The more depressing stuff, though, is the sh*t being leaked about the next XBox. It might have mandatory Kinect, need to always be online, and focus more on "entertainment features".

That kind of stuff is depressing to me because I'm wholly in the "Live" economy. I prefer games on the XBox so I can play while speaking with my friends in a party chat and whatnot. The more that comes out, the more it seems like Microsoft isn't focusing on games so much as just apps and stuff. Those are just rumors, so who knows.

Wii U's looking good, though. Nothing really to say about that.

So what do you guys think? Any apprehensions? Excited? Tell meeeeeeee.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

A lot of people on all the gaming sites I visit figure this will be the last cycle of consoles. After this all games will just be on streaming services.

It wouldn't surprise me given Sony's dire financial troubles, the Vita flopping, and the PS4 probably having the same slow start that the PS3 did. And the next Xbox is turning into a multimedia device rather than a gaming console.

The Wii-U won't do as well as the Wii but will probably do N64 or Gamecube numbers in terms of sales. Doesn't really matter as people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games as usual.

This may quite possible be the last console generation, especially when you figure it'll go on for at least 5 years and end around 2018 or so.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Peanut
Second Gear

The Wii U supposedly sold 55k in January. Microsoft is turning their head to us. Sony has a flagging handheld, books full of red ink and rumors of a go-for-broke strategy with the PS4 that might blow them up.

I'm so incredible ****ing depressed about the state of my hobby as a whole. I don't even know what it is anymore.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Irishmile
Hench Mutant

I have a Wii U in fact Im using it right now... I love it... I will be getting a PS4 when its out.. I do not dislike the XBOX i just like the exclusive franchises that Nintendo and Sony have in their pocket..
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

The future?

Angry Birds and NOTHING ELSE.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Steam console, if that thing gets big, we'll probably see a huge down fall in hard copies of games. or console game disks will just be a download feature and no actual game
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Vote with your wallet! For me it's all Steam, Nintendo (begrudgingly, at times) and Sony. I pay for the yearly PS+ membership because the benefits are HUGE. On Xbox you can't even use netflix unless you have a paid live membership... how stupid and greedy is that? No other device requires that. Don't reward Microsoft for their messed up strategy.

And right now if you buy a year of PS+ you get a bonus 3 months free. We don't know for sure yet but your PS+ benefits will probably carry over to the next Playstation, which is likely released later this year, so it's a good bargain.

For my Money Sony and Nintendo have the best exclusives in the industry. I don't care much for Halo or Gears, but I do love Zelda, Metroid (and most other Nintendo franchises) Xenoblade Chronicles (the developer is working on a very awesome looking new Wii U game), Heavy Rain (Quantic Dream is heavily tied to Sony), The Last of Us looks out of this world, The Last Guardian (hey... it'll come out... EVENTUALLY, maybe even on PS4), on and on. Sony knows how to get the cool exclusive games.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 3DS is the only system that's thriving now.

I get the feeling a lot of people will be reluctant to jump on board the next Xbox/Playstation. Even game developers are still announcing games for THIS generation.

GTA V comes out in September, they announced another Batman Arkham game this year, there is a new Metal Gear Solid, Watch Dogs, etc. Plus all the games released now like Dead Space 3, Boshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, etc.

Next gen console are probably going to have a very slow start, as even game developers are still cranking out games for current systems despite this being the final year.

It probably will be the last cycle of consoles overall.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Vote with your wallet! For me it's all Steam, Nintendo (begrudgingly, at times) and Sony. I pay for the yearly PS+ membership because the benefits are HUGE. On Xbox you can't even use netflix unless you have a paid live membership... how stupid and greedy is that? No other device requires that. Don't reward Microsoft for their messed up strategy.
See...this argument would hold more water if Xbox Live wasn't the best and most accessible online gaming service going. It's beyond easy to do what you need to do to set up and play games with people.

Also. Xbox Live Parties. Simple as that. Enjoy your rental games.

HAAAAAAAAAAAA.....Steam Console. A niche console being put out by a niche company to serve a niche section of the community. NINTENDO couldn't pull down big numbers in the console world, you honestly think Valve would do anything but crash and burn?

@~<3 Mom~@

Last edited by The Stryker; 02-15-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior

I think the Wii U will dominate the video game world... It has so many good features like internet browser or miiverse or even the fact that you can play 5 player games.... I don't see anyone beating that....

This Picture was drawn by BeagleTsuin from deviantart.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnt transformer View Post
I think the Wii U will dominate the video game world... It has so many good features like internet browser or miiverse or even the fact that you can play 5 player games.... I don't see anyone beating that....
.......Psst.

Every other console has those features. Well, not miiverse but whatever.

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior

I don't think every other console has backwards compatibility with old controllers as well as old games...

This Picture was drawn by BeagleTsuin from deviantart.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
I don't think every other console has backwards compatibility with old controllers as well as old games...
It should be illegal not to have this.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

If you have a Wii classic controller / classic controller pro you can even use that in Wii U virtual console games such as the recently released Balloon Fight (which is only $0.30!) ... I didn't expect that, but it's pretty sweet.

Personally I have the Wii U pro controller so I'll use that a lot of the time. But yeah, for most games I'll just use the Wii U gamepad since you have to have it nearby anyway
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Why is your **** in Japanese?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
The Wii U is selling horribly. It may not even do GameCube numbers.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
the fact that you can play 5 player games.... I don't see anyone beating that....
really? five players ain't that special.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
PSN and XBLA have old games all over their services and you don't need to change controllers to play them. (Boy that was stupid on the wii)

And look how cluttered and bad the WiiU handles Wii games. At some point you have to cut the rope and move on. Microsoft realized that NOBODY was playing old xbox games anymore and Sony knew that EVERYONE had a PS2. Save that space to make the damn box better.

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Sony knew that EVERYONE had a PS2. Save that space to make the damn box better.
still, it is hilarious that the later PS3 can play PS1 games but not PS2
Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Why is your **** in Japanese?
Weebs, man.

Also, Steam isn't just some niche market. It's one of (if not the) biggest avenue for digital purchase of PC games. Do I see them as a threat for consoles, though? Hahahahaha, no.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depressing, microsoft, nintendo, peanut, sony, video-games