The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
mikey22
Stone Warrior

OT- A UK TMNT Lost episode exclusive Michaelangelo loses nunchucks gets grappler hook

I am so puzzled that the writers never had a special episode about the weapon change for Mikey.

I truly believe kids may have grown attached to the grappler hook had there been an episode showing how he lost his nunchucks. 2 part episode!

Mike is bored because the other 3 turtles are either training, watching tv, or "doing machines" Mike feels he is the oddball because he can't seem to fit in with anything. He discovers a mysterious light in the sewers while skateboarding, and walks through...

Possibly he could have made a trip to Dimension X (or some oddball planet. Entered a special tournament to win unlimited amounts of pizza.. However its a Las Vegas Parody in the planet with kids/people entering the tourney gambling.. In order to play you need to wager something..... Mikey wages his nunchucks because its all he has..

During the tournament he encounters Hot Spot, Scratch. and other rare TMNT action figures that never were apart of the Tv series.

He makes it to the finals, but loses to Hothead via Dr. El's magic.. Mike is stunned and made a mistake of getting too cocky.. He loses his nunchucks and cannot use them in battle anymore.

We discover at the end Splinter was the one who put this entire tournament together. Himself and "Obenteo Son" (Usagis care-taker) use to particiapte in these games.

Mike feels he doesnt deserve to be a ninja turtles anymore and wished to be mutated back into a baby turtle.

During this depression, Splinter is captured by a mysterious creature in a robe... Mike has no weapons, but finds a grappling hook nearby.. He uses it just in the nick of time to save Splinter. After this ordeal, we find out it was Usagi who captured Splinter, and they wanted to test Mikey.

Splinter explains the wonderfulness of the grappling hook and how special the weapon is and that infact the oldest member of the foot clan use the grappling hook the most!

Mike accepts the grappling hook as his new weapon and celebrates with a pizza.

If anyboy has a fan fic with an episode similar to thsi where he loses his chucks and gains the grappler Id love to hear it.

This definitely should have been an episode though...
mikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Art should have imitated life. Like, some angry parents should have walked up to Michelangelo yelling at him that he is irresponsible for wielding nunchuks, that he's a bad role model for little kids using an illegal gang weapon like that... and then Michelangelo just folds, throws his nunchuks into a dumpster and walks home. And trips on a banana peel or something.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Art should have imitated life. Like, some angry parents should have walked up to Michelangelo yelling at him that he is irresponsible for wielding nunchuks, that he's a bad role model for little kids using an illegal gang weapon like that... and then Michelangelo just folds, throws his nunchuks into a dumpster and walks home. And trips on a banana peel or something.
Which makes him think 'whoa, if I had a grappling hook, I could have caught onto something and prevented that totally bogus fall. Oh hey! I know! I'll use a grappling hook as my new weapon! Totally mondo notion dudes!!!"

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Him slipping on a banana peel after giving up his weapon. A deep moment xD

I would like the episode idea of him getting the grappling hook.

Really, I thought that all of them should have used grappling hooks, while Mike kept his nunchucks . I don't mind if he or if all the turtles use hooks, just as long as Mike uses his nunchucks.

I always like the idea too that all of the turtles 2 weapons with the exception of Donatello who uses a bo, but Leo would sometimes wield one sword.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I like Mikey22's idea for the episode. You could make a fanfic about it.

I just think that in the series, Mikey just got bored of the chucks and decided to use the grappling hook. I also heard somewhere that chucks are relatively ineffective in combat so its possible he ditched them after they didn't work well for him in fights.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I also heard somewhere that chucks are relatively ineffective in combat
They're super effective... but more for deflection of weapons and using to hold and jab at someone, or immobilize limbs by wrapping around hands and arms. Necks, in some cases.

Anyone who's ever played with nunchuks knows, what do the nunchuks do when you swing and smack something with them? The other end bounces back and smacks you in the face, and then you go and find something else to play with. It's not practical for swinging and smacking people, or meant to be used like that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The grappling hook sounds more effective (Atleast for the FW cartoon and its physics) since it can go long range and Mikey has used it to immobilize opponents unlike the Nunchucks. Plus, it has non-combat uses such as helping climb buildings and saving the team during falls.

I do think he should've kept the chucks though since its more iconic. Atleast they were still on his back most of the time, even when he stopped using them.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Yeah, the nunchaku works best when used as intended, as two billy clubs that also function as a grappling implement with the chain/cord that connects the two, and minimal flailing (or as a hand-to-eye coordination exercise tool).

But they are kinda ineffective in comparison to other contemporary weapons, hence why there's no traditional kata in Okinawan martial arts for example.

I think it would have been very interesting if Mikey in future incarionations had the kusarigama as de facto main weapon, or a Kyoketsu-shoge. Both more appropriate ninja weapons then the ol' chucks.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I know, I wish they'd have at least tried to explain it away. But then again, this is the series in which Donnie keeps pulling things out of his shell as if he has storage space. Or at least he does in the European eps I'm currently rewatching.

If they had to replace Mikey's weapons, I just wish they'd have given him something that was more, you know... weapony. Rather than just being so lazy as to "give" him a tool they all already owned and use sometimes. Why not another wooden weapon pair like the tonfa?

Sure, it's less showy than nunchucks and I'm sure it is probably primarliy a defense weapon, but Mikey could throw his own style into his fight skills and jazz it up a bit.

On a related note... Mikey seems to still carry and sometimes use his nunchucks in the European vacation episodes. I know this set of episodes aired out of order with the other seasons and later than when they were first produced, but were they made before the creators realized that nunchucks were a problem? Had the UK gotten over it by the time they aired? (Although for what its worth I don't notice much weapons use when the Turtles visit parts of the UK.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I remember Mikey used the Nunchucks mostly halfway into Season 3 and then they slowly became reduced to being strapped on his back until halfway through season 4, when the theme song animation changed and his Nunchucks were removed altogether.

Since the European vacation episodes were early season 4, I wouldn't be surprised if it had the odd episode or two where Mike got out his chucks and used them in a fight, its been a long time since I saw them though.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It wouldn't surprise me. After a while it looked like everyone was busy writing up their own tmnt stories without keeping track of what someone else was writing. Hence we got two Atlantis episodes and I believe 2 coward ray episodes.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Anyone who's ever played with nunchuks knows, what do the nunchuks do when you swing and smack something with them? The other end bounces back and smacks you in the face, and then you go and find something else to play with. It's not practical for swinging and smacking people, or meant to be used like that.
Someone in my uni class once brought some in and almost hit me with them. They have a really long reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Since the European vacation episodes were early season 4, I wouldn't be surprised if it had the odd episode or two where Mike got out his chucks and used them in a fight, its been a long time since I saw them though.
I would have been happy with just a line as to why he stopped using them. I doubt there's some psychological torment behind it in an episode.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Yeah, the nunchaku works best when used as intended, as two billy clubs that also function as a grappling implement with the chain/cord that connects the two, and minimal flailing (or as a hand-to-eye coordination exercise tool).

But they are kinda ineffective in comparison to other contemporary weapons, hence why there's no traditional kata in Okinawan martial arts for example.

I think it would have been very interesting if Mikey in future incarionations had the kusarigama as de facto main weapon, or a Kyoketsu-shoge. Both more appropriate ninja weapons then the ol' chucks.
There are a few katas for nunchaku in Okinawan Kobudo/Kobujutsu. But yeah, the weapon is kinda overrated, and it only really works as an offensive weapon. I've trained with them before, most of the power for those things comes from the hips.

This is the first nunchaku kata that you learn in Ryukyu Kobujutsu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlLGJNKhmu8

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #14
sdp
-

Nice way to sneak your fanfic in a thread OP.

Anywho I don't think Mikey actually changed weapons, I think he just decided to use the grappling hook. It's not really a weapon change since all the turtles had grappling hooks, it was like an extra accessory rather than a weapon change, he just didn't feel the need to use the chucks anymore.

The Next Mutation gave Mikey Tonfas which I guess are similar to nunchuks in how you would use them. It made sense there since every turtle had different but related weapons IIRC a tech bo, scissor swords and a sai bo.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

I think the most plausible explaination in-universe is that angry mothers pressured him into dropping them.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #16
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I think the most plausible explaination in-universe is that angry mothers pressured him into dropping them.
As you might say it never happened on screen so it can't have happened.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote