The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #121
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I.....um....really....kinda liked Nuclear Man...

And the Bizzaroesque sub-plot of Supes 3.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #122
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I believe Helen Slater has a part in the Supergirl TV show also.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #123
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
She does...
Spoiler:
As I mentioned in my edited post (and Raph's Girl mentioned.) she's Kara's mom. Dean "Superman" Cain is her dad.....really weird.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #124
Leo656
The Franchise

III and IV had a couple moments. And they were bad, but at least they were memorable, even if for what they did wrong.

I've seen Supergirl a bunch of times. And I can never remember anything about it! Every now and then, I'm like, "Let's watch Supergirl, I haven't seen that in a while." And then when it's over, I'm not angry, I'm not sad, I'm not offended, I'm not bored, but I DO always feel like, "Why exactly did I want to watch this, again?" It's just so wholly unremarkable, bland and forgettable. Not "bad", but... just kind of "there".

They didn't know HOW to do the movie and I think that kind of shows. Can't blame 'em, the public's frame of reference for female super-heroes at that point was Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman, and let's be honest, she *looked* perfect in the role but everything about that show was horrid. So I can't be too mad at a bunch of people in the early-80s having zero idea how to do a Supergirl movie.

Alas, the world simply wasn't ready.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #125
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I liked the 1st season of Wonder Woman, when it was a period drama set during WWII. After that it just got bad...

Also, nothing beats...

...which though it's his cousin, has been playing in my head as I watch this pilot....much like Queen's Flash Gordon theme plays when I watch Flash (AHHHH AH!!)

Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #126
Leo656
The Franchise

Good call, Season 1 of WW was a little better.

As far as the Williams music goes, it is indeed iconic, but I also feel like people let their love of it poison their enjoyment of other things. Like, I saw a bunch of Man of Steel trailers set to the old music, and the response to them was unanimously favorable, with people going so far as to swear it would have been a "good movie" (or a better one) if everything was the same but The One Thing was changed. I mean, I get it, but that's just being way too devoted to something. And I actually agree, the tone of the entire movie would have been different, probably for the better, but c'mon.

Kind of a "damned if you do..." situation. Either way, they were going to have their movie unfavorably compared to Reeve's; you blast the iconic music in people's faces the whole time, that only makes it worse, even though you're giving people what they claim to want. I would have liked the old music but I'm at a point where it doesn't need to be in every Superman-related project for me to get into it.

Some nifty guitar covers of the classic theme out there, though. And a remix with like a choir effect. Pretty nifty.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #127
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Spoiler:
Aye. Helen Slater and Dean Cain play her earth parents, Sylvia and Fred Danvers, Scientists who helped Superman when he was first starting out as a hero. They were also in "Smallville". Helen played Superman's biological mother, Lara, while Dean was Vandal Savage.

Last edited by Raph's Girl; 05-25-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #128
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Am I a monster for pointing out, and please not I'm doing this after she said she was Kara's boss and "hot" that Calista Flockhart has ruined her face with surgery?

EDIT: Do Kryptonians have some special power to make people NOT recognize them without glasses?
Spoiler:
Also....this is hitting a LOT of the Superman movie tropes (Saving a plane, the "I'm broadcasting this so only yo can hear it.") Yowza!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #129
Leo656
The Franchise

Nope and Yep.

I don't dislike Calista but she is ALL wrong for Cat Grant. And, as you've pointed out, she's now rapidly turning into the Cryptkeeper.

Cat was actually one of my favorite "new" Superman characters from the Byrne/Wolfman era, but she was NOT an Anna Wintour clone. I am beyond sick of "As long as we keep the name, everything else is up for grabs" when it comes to using characters. A NAME is not a "Character", for pity's sake. If you change everything else about them, just change the damn name, too.

And I haven't seen the pilot yet - I will, but I'm in no rush, I'll probably see it when it airs - but just from the trailer alone, yeah. Lots and lots of "Let's do EVERY thing Superman famously does... but with Bewbs!" Ain't mad at 'em, though... what're they s'posed to do? At least it looks good, well-worn "iconic" moments notwithstanding.

It's not at all how I'd do the show, but it could be WAY worse and I honestly expected way worse, so yeah, good enough for now. And she's good in the main role so everyone else is inconsequential, although I'd love it if she wasn't the ONLY person in the cast I cared for. But eh.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #130
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Spoiler:
Also....this is hitting a LOT of the Superman movie tropes (Saving a plane, the "I'm broadcasting this so only yo can hear it.") Yowza!
Spoiler:
Well Jimmy DID mention that saving a plane was the first heroic act Superman ever did. *lol*
Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #131
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
you never seen the Supergirl movie?
Nope. I hear it's terrible. The only DC movies I've ever seen are Superman, Superman II, Man of Steel, Batman & Batman: Returns, Batman Forever & Batman & Robin, The Dark Knight trilogy and eugh, 2004's Catwoman & 2011's Green Lantern.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #132
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Well here's something different. The series hasn't even aired on tv yet but it's already been nominated for an award! It has been nominated along with The Muppets, American Crime Story, Aquarius, Blindspot, Minority Report, Scream Queens, and UnREAL for Most Exciting New Series based on the pilot and trailers alone!

We'll see if Supergirl wins or not May 31st on A&E during the Critics Choice Awards.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/critics-...ng-1201432877/
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #133
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Nope. I hear it's terrible. The only DC movies I've ever seen are Superman, Superman II, Man of Steel, Batman & Batman: Returns, Batman Forever & Batman & Robin, The Dark Knight trilogy and eugh, 2004's Catwoman & 2011's Green Lantern.
Yeah, Supergirl is WAY better than Catwoman.....but then again, I'd almost go so far as to say Batman and Robin is better.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #134
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, Supergirl is WAY better than Catwoman.....but then again, I'd almost go so far as to say Batman and Robin is better.
Everything is better than Catwoman...

Incidentally, Just read the rules of the Critics Choice TV Awards. Apparantly ALL shows nominated in the Most Exciting New Series category automatically get an award. So Supergirl is already an award winning show by default. *lol* Gotham got the same award last year and Agents of Shield got it in 2013.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #135
Allio
Foot Elite

it was alright, though I have always more enjoyed the "I have no hope in humanity" kara
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #136
Leo656
The Franchise

Why? Not enough whiny, bratty teenage girls in comics for ya already?

Frankly, I personally have hated almost everything they've done with the character since 2003 or whenever it was they brought her back. Convoluted origin aside, Linda Danvers/Matrix Supergirl was the only time in history that the character's ever been consistently interesting AND likable at the same time. There was no reason to toss it all out to have her go back to being "Kal-El's cousin, but a huge bratty emo c*** this time, so it's Modern."

I mean, I'm fine with the whole "struggling to find her place in the world and find people she can relate to" angle, not the, "I shoot fire out of my eyes, so I'd really rather be in charge of this planet than protecting it, since I'm so much more advanced and powerful and all, you're all just ants to me and I'unno why my cousin wastes time with you" type of sh*t they've been pulling with her in the comics off and on for the last decade. Not ALL teenage girls are whiny, spoiled, entitled brats, but this one's supposed to be one of the "role models". Noooo thanks.

Thankfully, it looks like the show is taking a more traditional approach.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #137
THGhost
Puppet Master

I'm about to watch Superman III for the first time, in all of its awfulness. Wish me luck.

EDIT: Oh God, what have I done?

Seriously though, it wasn't all that bad. Not sure why people hate it so much. I hear the 4th movie is even worse though.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42

Last edited by THGhost; 05-27-2015 at 04:16 PM.
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #138
Leo656
The Franchise

The fourth movie had a better story behind it (what ended up on the screen post-editing was a different story, entirely), and it was far more in tone with the first and second movies (the third movie feels like a totally different universe than the first two). But the story they tried to tell was WAY too big for the budget they had, which was about what a Box O'Joe and a dozen would cost at Dunkin' Donuts.

It COULD have been f*cking terrific, but you just CAN'T make a super-hero movie with NO money. It's the same ONE shot of him flying in every f*cking scene and it's VERY f*cking noticeable! It didn't help that nobody at all who was in it wanted it to be in it, so everybody's kind of half-assing it. If they made the exact same script with some minor tweaks and like, $20 million (which at the time was a lot) it could've been the best in the series. The fact that they had no money and still tried to MAKE it the biggest in the series... well... it completely collapses under its own weight. Immediately.

And that's what makes it so, so awful. If any other company AT ALL but Canon Films had made Superman IV, it WOULD have been great. As is, it's pretty much one of the worst abortions ever seen. I still watch it, but I always hate myself by the end of it. But, I have a lot of sins to atone for, and I don't cut myself, so I guess it's my penance.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #139
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Peter Facinelli (Dr. Cullen in the Twilight movies) has been cast as Maxwell Lord! Quick! Somebody find Wonder Woman so she can snap his neck!

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/12/supe...-maxwell-lord/
Old 07-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #140
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Livewire and Reactron are confirmed to appear: http://comicbook.com/2015/07/12/firs...ains-revealed/

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote