Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #2641
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They look fine to me overall.

https://www.childrensmuseum.org/site..._GroupShot.jpg

The Nick designs had the perfect look for a show aimed at kids while also keeping them recognizable and true to their designs. Also now the IDW comics mimic the Nick 2012 designs, so how do you feel about that?
I'm on the record multiple times as hating that IDW went Nick in their visual designs. I hate the gap tooth "dweeb" look for Donatello, and I hate the tiny little bandanna ties and wide-eyed innocence look for Michelangelo.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #2642
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm on the record multiple times as hating that IDW went Nick in their visual designs. I hate the gap tooth "dweeb" look for Donatello, and I hate the tiny little bandanna ties and wide-eyed innocence look for Michelangelo.
I wouldn't mind the latter so much if it wasn't sincere.
Like, I have no problem with Mikey being the baby, and everyone treating him like the baby, I just don't want him to BE a baby.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #2643
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I wouldn't mind the latter so much if it wasn't sincere.
Like, I have no problem with Mikey being the baby, and everyone treating him like the baby, I just don't want him to BE a baby.
That's my issue, though. I don't understand why just because Mike being the most chill or the least serious should mean that he should be the youngest, though. I've never liked that angle.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #2644
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW's designs of the Turtles have always been all over the place obviously due to the constant changing artists. A lot of people didn't like Dan Duncan's designs for them either, and now most of them mimic the Nick designs.

To be honest I'm not sure I've ever liked a single look of the IDW Turtles overall, except maybe Ben Bates but even his were a mix of 4kids/Nick designs.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #2645
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
That's my issue, though. I don't understand why just because Mike being the most chill or the least serious should mean that he should be the youngest, though. I've never liked that angle.
When I say baby I'm talking about familial pecking order, not actual Age in Years.
I know people who are the baby of a cohort, and that standing doesn't have anything to do with how old they are.

It's not a canon hill I care enough to defend.
Unlike Mike Being Competent Comic Relief, which is one I'm willing to die on.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #2646
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If anything, I wish they'd have drawn a line in the sand early in IDW about, "This is our look, this is the IDW TMNT" be it with the wraps, no elbow pads, whatever, and just stick with that over all of their books and all of their artists. And letting (I hope not encouraging?) artists draw the IDW TMNT exactly like the Nick children's cartoon doesn't exactly help sell the case that they're trying to do their own thing or in any way "aiming older" than it.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #2647
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If anything, I wish they'd have drawn a line in the sand early in IDW about, "This is our look, this is the IDW TMNT" be it with the wraps, no elbow pads, whatever, and just stick with that over all of their books and all of their artists. And letting (I hope not encouraging?) artists draw the IDW TMNT exactly like the Nick children's cartoon doesn't exactly help sell the case that they're trying to do their own thing or in any way "aiming older" than it.
Yeah, IDW TMNT has no real defined look because each artist is allowed to change the way the Turtles look. Kind of reminds me how all the old Mirage artists had a distinct style for their TMNT even if it was all part of the Mirage universe.

But for something like IDW that's more of a modern action/super hero comic, it feels weird.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #2648
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, IDW TMNT has no real defined look because each artist is allowed to change the way the Turtles look. Kind of reminds me how all the old Mirage artists had a distinct style for their TMNT even if it was all part of the Mirage universe.

But for something like IDW that's more of a modern action/super hero comic, it feels weird.
Agreed. I really wish IDW TMNT had a more defined look... even if it's Santolouco's Nick-like style, more consistency would be nice.

But I get it. We're not DC or Marvel... we take what we can get. And when good artists can only do 1 or 2 story arcs at a time, we have a more Mirage-like medley.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #2649
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mean, you get a bunch of people in the room, say, "Draw me the 'Mirage TMNT style.'" You may get some blend of Farley with the Eastman & Laird look, maybe, whether it's early Eastman & Laird look or later Eastman & Laird look, maybe some Lawson in there, but it's going to have a fairly distinct look. You say, "Draw me the 'Archie TMNT style.'" You may get some blend of Chris Allan and Mitchroney, maybe, but it's going to be pretty distinct too.

Now, you say, "Draw me the 'IDW TMNT style'"... what the hell would you get, and how would it stand out?
Old 01-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #2650
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectomane View Post
Honestly, I'm think I'm more curious about how they'll look in toy form. Gotta sell them toys!
I'm grabbing the new line as soon as they come out, in case it bombs, they'll be collectors items
Old 01-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #2651
NAG!!!
Random Punk

Last edited by NAG!!!; 01-31-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #2652
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I mean, you get a bunch of people in the room, say, "Draw me the 'Mirage TMNT style.'" You may get some blend of Farley with the Eastman & Laird look, maybe, whether it's early Eastman & Laird look or later Eastman & Laird look, maybe some Lawson in there, but it's going to have a fairly distinct look. You say, "Draw me the 'Archie TMNT style.'" You may get some blend of Chris Allan and Mitchroney, maybe, but it's going to be pretty distinct too.

Now, you say, "Draw me the 'IDW TMNT style'"... what the hell would you get, and how would it stand out?
It's basically broken down to storyline... "IDW City Fall style" or "IDW Year One style" or "IDW Mutanimals" style, et al...
Old 01-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #2653
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

I for one absolutely loved the 2012 designs. The three toes gave me a little "hmmm" at first, but seeing they had 3 fingers it honestly made more sense... and I remembered back to my childhood when I used to wonder why they had two toes and 3 fingers?

I blame the ratings drop on two things, one the piss poor scheduling on Nicks part. SpongeBob ratings are up... Well of course they are when you run wall to wall SpongeBob all damn day and squeeze one 30 minute turtles episode randomly in between and change their air date and time slot like changing underwear.... Two, a lot of fans dropped off during Season 3, and by dragging out the whole North Hampton arc for so long caused a lot of fans loose interest and just not come back. The scheduling on top of that issue was beyond infuriating. I had to DVR almost everything because I couldn't keep track of wtf they were airing and when they were airing it and I'm a grown ass adult. No kids or parents were going to take that much initiative to watch new episodes. Nick did the 2012 turtles dirty... plain and simple.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #2654
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

Probably Santolouco or Cory Smith, given that their artwork is somewhat matching and in about half the main series.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #2655
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAG!!! View Post
You must show my design and foot ninjas and also my henchmen designs too not just the turtles! Evryone waits to see me. No one cares about those mutant monsters!
Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #2656
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
When I say baby I'm talking about familial pecking order, not actual Age in Years.
I know people who are the baby of a cohort, and that standing doesn't have anything to do with how old they are.

It's not a canon hill I care enough to defend.
Unlike Mike Being Competent Comic Relief, which is one I'm willing to die on.
Oh yes, I understand. I was just saying that I wish they'd stop treating Mikey as such in general because they always tend to make him "the silly one".
Old 01-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #2657
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Oh yes, I understand. I was just saying that I wish they'd stop treating Mikey as such in general because they always tend to make him "the silly one".
Competent Comic Relief is really REALLY hard to write, is the best conclusion that can be drawn here.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #2658
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
I'm with you. Mikey's usually my favourite, but this is why I prefer the Mirage version of the character over the more "Flanderized" cartoon versions. He's got a more light-hearted, artistic, and friendly/empahetic personality than his brothers, but he's not obnoxious or an idiot. There's a lot of depth to that, the idea that despite all the isolation and violence and difficulty his family's been through, he chooses not to give in to angst.

I think there's an even...er touch to take with him, to make him the comic relief but without constantly making him the butt of the joke. It takes more effort, but I think just making a point to let him be the lighter/goofier one and also having his brothers treat him with equal respect would go a long way.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #2659
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I'm with you. Mikey's usually my favourite, but this is why I prefer the Mirage version of the character over the more "Flanderized" cartoon versions. He's got a more light-hearted, artistic, and friendly/empahetic personality than his brothers, but he's not obnoxious or an idiot. There's a lot of depth to that, the idea that despite all the isolation and violence and difficulty his family's been through, he chooses not to give in to angst.

I think there's an even...er touch to take with him, to make him the comic relief but without constantly making him the butt of the joke. It takes more effort, but I think just making a point to let him be the lighter/goofier one and also having his brothers treat him with equal respect would go a long way.
I kinda want to see an incarnation where Mikey is a bit of an artist and sort of explores human culture especially modern human culture.

I think the Mirage version sort of did that.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #2660
CyberCubed
Overlord

What did Nag post there before he deleted it?

If you have inside knowledge post everything. You won't get fired, nobody at Nick knows your real name. It's time to spill the beans.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters