The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #1241
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Did Vegita-San help make this since he has a war on women?
Wars a bit severe, isn't it?
Impotent slap fight seems more appropriate.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #1242
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Wars a bit severe, isn't it?
Impotent slap fight seems more appropriate.
ok changed it from wars to Impotent slap fight on women
Old 01-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #1243
Vegita-San
Emperor

case in point.

sigh. can we get any more childish?

see why I take offense, sdp?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #1244
Sumac
Banned

/facepalm

Tell me it's a joke article. If not I wonder how drunk on "liberal kool-aid" one must be to seriously write garbage like this?
I haven't seen the movie, but if I would had and I wouldn't like it due to problems not related to Rey's character, would I become a woman-hater?

Quote:
The world ain't your safe space, my dude.
And neither is fandom.
Mind if I remind you that world is not safe space of yours too.
Just for clarity.

Last edited by Sumac; 01-16-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #1245
Vegita-San
Emperor

it wouldn't fit the men are evil agenda, and thus would be ignored.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #1246
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
/facepalm
Mind if I remind you that world is not safe space of yours too.
Just for posterity.
Unless they're worded as eloquently as all the rape and death threats I've gotten over the years, I'd suggest you save the key strokes and not bother.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #1247
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
How do you even believe what you're saying? Seriously?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #1248
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I was just thinking how both Lucas and Laird who were so protective of their creations ended up selling to someone who pretty much stepped on all their believes of what the franchise should be, it doesn't matter if you think it's for the better or the worse, it's still ironic.

Quote:
as all the rape and death threats I've gotten over the years.
Boohoo, who hasn't gotten horrible harassment online? That doesn't make you a victim or special. It's as old as the internet and it comes inherent with anonymity and the pros of it outweigh the cons. If it's too much to handle then "casuals" shouldn't be using the internet but instead they'll whine about it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #1249
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Boohoo, who hasn't gotten horrible harassment online? That doesn't make you a victim or special. It's as old as the internet and it comes inherent with anonymity and the pros of it outweigh the cons. If it's too much to handle then "casuals" shouldn't be using the internet but instead they'll whine about it.
Calm your tits.
A) I was getting such things before the internet was a household staple.
B) I brought it up to illustrate that I don't need reminding that the world isn't a Safe Space.
C) And even if I did need reminding, chances are good internet randos won't be around when I need them the most.
Like...last night, offline, when I was harassed walking in my neighborhood by the two drunk townie dudebros who followed me for six blocks.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #1250
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
A) I was getting such things before the internet was a household staple.
She's not wrong. I remember very well the fervor you started like 20 years ago.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #1251
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Bruh, I don't particularly like online SJWs and Hollywood virtue signaling either, but I don't let it stop me from enjoying media on my own terms.

Nothing about TLJ is so bad that it's worth getting yourself all depressed over it. It's a guilty pleasure at the very worst. If you don't like it, buy some novels/download some games and choose-your-own-canon. Marvel's current comics are as good as any of the old Dark Horse stuff. My local Half Price Books has been stocking a lot of EU novels, and I've personally started a scavenger hunt of sorts for the ones I want to read. If anything, it's increased my love for the franchise overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
The prequels, too. Hell, all three films are essentially about the rise of authoritarianism and a fascist government. With bombast, of course - it's still a space opera with laser swords, space dogfights and mystic powers - but some of it's really on the nose. Hell, at the time, some outlets in the news were flipping out about them because they were perceived as pointed shots at the then-ongoing Bush administration and the direction of the country at the time.
I've been thinking about the political aspects of the original six films and Clone Wars as well, and I would have to agree with this. I think Lucas made that part of the narrative something a little more subtle that the viewer has to internalize and think about on their own rather than overtly throwing it in our faces. It's ironic when you consider the stylistic choices within the prequels' storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #1252
Vegita-San
Emperor

I've been re reading the old eu novels from the start..to try and remember when i liked star wars.

It's amazing how bad the Kevin J Anderson novels read back. but it's still better than the newer books.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #1253
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I was just thinking how both Lucas and Laird who were so protective of their creations ended up selling to someone who pretty much stepped on all their believes of what the franchise should be, it doesn't matter if you think it's for the better or the worse, it's still ironic.
that's because no one is a specific 'in charge' person.

IIRC, you have a Kevin Feige in charge of the entire marvel movie line. who SEEMS to be creative as well as an executive. a rare talent.

There is NO ONE like that in charge of the turtles empire now. Or Star Wars. or the DC Universe. which explains why all their new stuff is a big steaming patrick stewart (see what I did there? think about it)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #1254
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
There is NO ONE like that in charge of the turtles empire now. it)
Why should there be? It was never like that even when Mirage owned TMNT.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #1255
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
that's because no one is a specific 'in charge' person.

IIRC, you have a Kevin Feige in charge of the entire marvel movie line. who SEEMS to be creative as well as an executive. a rare talent.

There is NO ONE like that in charge of the turtles empire now. Or Star Wars. or the DC Universe. which explains why all their new stuff is a big steaming patrick stewart (see what I did there? think about it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #1256
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I've been thinking about the political aspects of the original six films and Clone Wars as well, and I would have to agree with this. I think Lucas made that part of the narrative something a little more subtle that the viewer has to internalize and think about on their own rather than overtly throwing it in our faces. It's ironic when you consider the stylistic choices within the prequels' storytelling.
It's one of the things I appreciate about the prequels, actually. With movies, especially blockbusters, everything is done with bombast and explosiveness. You expect them to just take over by force (sort of like how the new trilogy has done things). But the prequels, for all their flaws, decided to show the slow decline of a republic into authoritarianism as a backdrop to the flashier things going on with the Jedi. It's a more realistic bent and one I think would have worked really well with a tighter script and a different or at least co-director.

Quote:
I was just thinking how both Lucas and Laird who were so protective of their creations ended up selling to someone who pretty much stepped on all their believes of what the franchise should be
Well, in regards to Laird and the Turtles, whatever he (and Eastman, though KE's far more chill about the franchise) originally intended them to be, they morphed into something else pretty early even under his watch. I don't think the Turtles now are all too strikingly different from what was being made before he sold it off. The biggest difference is that now people can use things from the Fred Wolf series in new material and reinvent them, which Peter Laird seemed adamantly opposed to.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #1257
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Okay, I'm appreciating what they've done with Luke now... sort of.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:59 AM   #1258
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm pretty sure most of the Jedi that survived Order 66 went into hiding - and those that tried to rise back up ended up getting killed.

If goddamn YODA is laying low in a desolate place, that's probably the best course of action to take.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #1259
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Unless they're worded as eloquently as all the rape and death threats I've gotten over the years, I'd suggest you save the key strokes and not bother.
No need to engage into oppression olympics - everyone has hard lives, but it doesn't automatically imbues you with some kind of "moral superiority and righteousness".
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #1260
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the Jedi that survived Order 66 went into hiding - and those that tried to rise back up ended up getting killed.

If goddamn YODA is laying low in a desolate place, that's probably the best course of action to take.
Yoda was so sad and lonely...
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw