The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite girlfriend of Raphael?
Mona Lisa (FW Cartoon) 12 36.36%
Ninjara (TMNT Adventures) 10 30.30%
Alopex (IDW) 10 30.30%
Y'Gythgba (Nickelodeon's Mona Lisa) 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #21
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Nick Mona got no love
Considering she's been called at times by others, myself included, to be one of the worst aspects of the space arc (possibly the whole show depending on person), it's not surprising. Nick Mona is really underwhelming, there's really no dynamic between her and that version of Raphael, nor do I feel is it written well. FW Mona was miles better personally.

Can't say anything about the comic relationships because I still need to read them.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 AM   #22
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post

But Joy was like, hardly even romantic at all.
There was enough flirting between them both to assume they had something there, and they where really close during training, their interactions matched those of Lucindra and Raph in Mirage.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
Shark_Blade
Emperor

As much as I like Alopex, I cringe everytime I imagine them together.

So Mona Lisa from the OT cartoon then since she's the ideal looking and most interesting personality-wise.

Last edited by Jester; 04-06-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #24
pferreira
Foot Elite

Got to be Mona from the FW cartoon series.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #25
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
There was enough flirting between them both to assume they had something there, and they where really close during training, their interactions matched those of Lucindra and Raph in Mirage.
Well yeah, flirting, but not a relationship. Same with Lucindra. I think he had a thing for both but both women won't go there. Why is it more weird for a human to be attracted to a turtle than a turtle being attracted to a human?

That's why I loved in one of the old Mirage issues where April gets a new hair do and Raph says she looks great and then thinks, "For a human."

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!

Last edited by Rooish; 04-07-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I suppose just that for much/all (depending on version) of their lives human women were just always their only/main point of reference when it comes to fellow intelligent, bipedal, sentient beings who happen to be female. Esp if they pretty much feel the same as us on the inside.

And we're the weird ones who are relatively bare skinned compared to most other mammals and apes, with human women tending to remove even more of it. I could see why they might be willing to look past differences. Even if humans are too hung up on differences, even among ourselves, to return the lack of judgement.

Though I'd be curious to know a little backstory on Raph's attraction to these furry women. Maybe along the lines that some people end up finding someone that in some way is similar to a parent? They're furry like Splinter? lol Makes sense that he'd say, "For a human" about April. Humans just don't seem to be much his type, in most cases.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #27
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Well yeah, flirting, but not a relationship. Same with Raph. I think he had a thing for both but both women won't go there. Why is it more weird for a human to be attracted to a turtle than a turtle being attracted to a human?

That's why I loved in one of the old Mirage issues where April gets a new hair do and Raph says she looks great and then thinks, "For a human."
That's why I said "If FW Mona Lisa is included as a girlfriend", because that's all there was between her and Raph, flirting, so if she counts as a girlfriend for this poll so should Joy and Lucindra, because they've been as much "girlfriend of Raph" as Mona Lisa has.

Nick Mona, Mezcaal and Ninjara are the only real romantic relationships any Raph ever had in the Multiverse.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #28
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I suppose just that for much/all (depending on version) of their lives human women were just always their only/main point of reference when it comes to fellow intelligent, bipedal, sentient beings who happen to be female. Esp if they pretty much feel the same as us on the inside.

And we're the weird ones who are relatively bare skinned compared to most other mammals and apes, with human women tending to remove even more of it. I could see why they might be willing to look past differences. Even if humans are too hung up on differences, even among ourselves, to return the lack of judgement.

Though I'd be curious to know a little backstory on Raph's attraction to these furry women. Maybe along the lines that some people end up finding someone that in some way is similar to a parent? They're furry like Splinter? lol Makes sense that he'd say, "For a human" about April. Humans just don't seem to be much his type, in most cases.
But the turtles aren't 'animals' animals, they're mutants. They have the awareness and intelligence to know what they're doing when they enter a relationship so I'm not against turtle human relationships. Actually, I'm more concerned with the age gap, April's like 12 years older than them so it would be creepy if she found them attractive.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
But the turtles aren't 'animals' animals, they're mutants. They have the awareness and intelligence to know what they're doing when they enter a relationship so I'm not against turtle human relationships.
Yeah, likewise, and didn't say anything to suggest otherwise (and fully in the camp of regarding them as not animals) other than historically humans just don't seem to be Raph's main preference.

Now, Leo, on the other hand, and possibly Donnie... But this isn't their thread. (Edit: Even though I can't help but run off and talk about them anyway. The intention to stay on Raph was there, it really was.) (Technically I suppose Nick has brought Mikey into the 'likes human girls' mix with Renet and Shini being non-aliens, but they still kind of have an otherworldly magic quality instead, so still not quite typical.)

Although that makes me wonder if, similar to female fan's fave sometimes/often having some relation to real life preferences, do the Turtles' own preferences relate to how they themselves feel? Raph, being the one most open to admit to feeling like they're freaks of nature, is drawn to others who can relate and therefor frequently into other mutants? (Granted alien Mona throws a wrench into it.) Does Leo feel the most human? Though Mikey tends to be the one to outwardly express wanting to BE more actively involved in the human world... but then gets with aliens (does he nonetheless 'feel alien'?) and now girls with magic powers (which is a bit harder to psychoanalyze at this point lol). Donnie is harder... maybe similar to Leo, but not against human-like aliens?

Yeah, the age gap should be an issue, more-so than is ever even suggested. Though some other versions have always been so easy to see the Turtles as adults and ignore the title. Now, if it was Nick version and April was still a grown women... ick. Although really, if she were still an adult, maybe they could have played off Donnie having a (very small) crush on her in a much more innocent and cute way vs what we ended up with.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #30
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Donnie is harder... maybe similar to Leo, but not against human-like aliens?
In the context of the Nick series, I'd say he likes humans because of April but it also self concious about being a mutant. In the episode with the mushrooms (that sounds so wrong), his worst fear is her rejecting him but what struck me was that she wasn't just falling for another boy (in this case, Casey), she was calling him a freak.
In that version, along with most of the others, April is the first human they've had contact with so her rejection symbolises rejection of the outside world.

Furthermore, in the episode 'Monkey Brains' he takes offense when mutants are referred to as abominations then asks that they stop using the word monster. He doesn't even use the word, it's as if even saying it hurts him.

I think I've derailed this slightly but it's just a theory I have.

Quote:
Yeah, the age gap should be an issue, more-so than is ever even suggested. Though some other versions have always been so easy to see the Turtles as adults and ignore the title. Now, if it was Nick version and April was still a grown women... ick. Although really, if she were still an adult, maybe they could have played off Donnie having a (very small) crush on her in a much more innocent and cute way vs what we ended up with.
Yeah, actually I personally think Nick Mikey has a crush on Leatherhead but it's not reciprocated and he knows that it will never happen due to the age gap. It's kind of like a kid having a crush on their teacher, adorable, fairly normal and harmless if not acted upon.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #31
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I disagree, I think Mikey in Nick sees Leatherhead as more of a mentor/"big brother" kind of thing. He is Mikey's first REAL friend (aside from April, who is everyone's) of his own, so he feels very attached to that relationship. He's very giving, and Leatherhead accepting that and respecting him has a lot to do with their close ties. In fact, I'd say that the fact that LH treats him as an equal and respects him is a big reason why Mikey looks up to him so much and is so protective of him.

As for females in general, I see Mikey as being less picky than any of them- aliens, humans, mutants- it's all the same to him as long as they treat him and his brothers with respect and acceptance. He seems the most open to dating ANYONE he finds attractive and "fun" to be with. He's had crushes/relationships with Kala, Mitsu in movie 3, Buffy (also in FW), and Sera(sp?) in Mirage, and now both Renet and Shinigami in Nick. There was even Irma (briefly) in FW, if one wants to get technical. So he clearly is just happy to be with whomever, or at least is willing to overlook physical differences in his pursuit of romance. Given his open and outgoing personality, that is perfectly understandable for him.

Raphael feeling like a freak and going more for others who may also be considered "freaks"? Hmm, possibly, but that doesn't really explain Lucindra or Joi. I think he could go either way- human or mutant (or now alien, I guess?), but Indigo may be onto something with the "furry females" being something to cuddle up with and stay warm. I mean, they DO live in a cold, damp sewer!!

Leo seems more drawn to Lotus (or Karai) based on mutual appreciation of skills and cunning. So basically, he's into women for their talents and minds over their looks- an interesting trait for him. He's looking for an equal, which makes sense for him.

Donnie is indeed harder to pin down. On one hand we have the crush on April in Nick (and early in 4Kids to a lesser degree- though there are a few moments in Wedding Bells and Bytes that make one wonder if he ever actually got over that) and on the other we have his more uninterested view of women in FW (and in Mirage as well, I think.). He seems to be an all or nothing kind of guy when it comes to having interest in females of any type.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #32
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I vote OT Mona Lisa. I liked the dynamic of opposites attract between them and that she was as strong-willed in her own way as he is. I also liked her fun and affectionate personality as a foil to his sarcastic and hard-edged one.
Totally agree right here. OT Mona Lisa had a lot of potential to be a recurring character (I liked the chemistry between her and Raph), it's too bad that she was only in that one episode.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #33
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Ninjara

I prefer Ninjara, followed up by Mona-Lisa.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #34
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

27 votes later and Nick Mona Lisa still has no votes which surprises me because I thought she had a huge fanbase among the tumblr shippers.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #35
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
27 votes later and Nick Mona Lisa still has no votes which surprises me because I thought she had a huge fanbase among the tumblr shippers.
Tumblr can easily inflate things, don't trust it to much.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #36
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I like Joi from the 4kids series and I enjoyed watching her interact with Raph and I ship it stupidly hard
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
I do like Nick's version and how they went about making her (esp after hoping for a while that they would not miss the opportunity to do something with her), but as a girlfriend to Raph it was too rushed and she kind of tarnished it fast when she betrayed him and the others so easily rather than seeking their help. Then he forgave her it just as quick. Blinded by infatuation.

Also I kind of question her age, she seems more like an adult... Erm.

Granted so was Joi, but at least the 2003 Turtles don't feel like such kids as 2012 does.