The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,376
I think any deviation in their skillsets or stats would come from their mastery of their preferred weapon (katana vs. sai, etc.). Meaning, Leo might be a little stronger than the others simply by the virtue of him dual-wielding two heavy katanas all the time (try that, by the way... it's super difficult). Their training would be identical.

They didn't, like, have different masters. Or train at different dojos.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think any deviation in their skillsets or stats would come from their mastery of their preferred weapon (katana vs. sai, etc.). Meaning, Leo might be a little stronger than the others simply by the virtue of him dual-wielding two heavy katanas all the time (try that, by the way... it's super difficult). Their training would be identical.

They didn't, like, have different masters. Or train at different dojos.
Exactly. Splinter is teaching them the same katas, the same exercises, the same everything. Except weapons techniques. And Leo probably pays more attention to the meditation stuff... he was the only one to attempt solo trips on the astral plane in Image. (Though all four Turtles ended up there to save Splinter, or Raph and Don ended up there when they were unconscious.)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,734
Yeah, kinda dull to make them all cookie cutter.

Though valid reasons - be it cannon or simple assumptions that make sense - for different strengths is appreciated.

i.e. What might make Mikey the fastest? Maybe quick reflexes, but also paired with 'weaker' points of the others...? Raph might be bulkier and not built as much for speed. (More the bull in a china shop, so easy compensation.) The length of Donnie's bo and the way it's used may prevent equally quick action. Similarly Leo's swords are also large weapons, rather dangerous weapons with attention required to using two at once, and the danger of injury to self or allies should probably come with a level of caution that keeps his fight to only a reasonable speed. Mikey's weapons on the other hand can be stopped by him in a moments notice, are harmless out of use, and small enough to not be in the way if he quickly changes gears to hand-to-hand combat. Leo and Donnie inevitably lose time having to re-holster/sheath theirs, and the swords will never lose the need for cautious handling.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #24
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,938
The internet is telling me that the average weight for a katana ranges between 800 to 1500 grams. Or... between 1.5 - 3 lbs.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think any deviation in their skillsets or stats would come from their mastery of their preferred weapon (katana vs. sai, etc.). Meaning, Leo might be a little stronger than the others simply by the virtue of him dual-wielding two heavy katanas all the time (try that, by the way... it's super difficult). Their training would be identical.

They didn't, like, have different masters. Or train at different dojos.
But they do have different talent/personalities/interest. Its like students going to the same class/subject and having the same teacher but getting different grades, some people are either going to put more into the work, having a passion for a certain subject, or have a natural talent for said subject.
__________________
PApagreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
But they do have different talent/personalities/interest. Its like students going to the same class/subject and having the same teacher but getting different grades, some people are either going to put more into the work, having a passion for a certain subject, or have a natural talent for said subject.
You're thinking about human teenagers in high school and equating the Turtles to that.

Stop doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Exactly. Splinter is teaching them the same katas, the same exercises, the same everything.
Yeah, and find me four healthy, genetic brothers who do all of that, the exact same everything in the same gym every day for 15 years where it eventually emerges that different brothers end up radically different builds-wise, or anything.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
But they do have different talent/personalities/interest. Its like students going to the same class/subject and having the same teacher but getting different grades, some people are either going to put more into the work, having a passion for a certain subject, or have a natural talent for said subject.
I really don't think Splinter would tolerate Raphael slacking off and trying for a C- in Stealth, or Donatello struggling to get a D- in Combat.

Splinter is their father AND teacher. There is no escape... they will ALL be proficient at everything Splinter teaches.

I mean, I get the differentiation everyone else seems to favor, but it seems to me that too much emphasis is given. Like, the cartoons think that Donatello would get an A+ in Strategy and a D- in Combat, when really it should be a A+ in Strategy and an A- in Combat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #28
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,938
Or don't, because there's no reason not to.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #29
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You're thinking about human teenagers in high school and equating the Turtles to that.

Stop doing that.
Its a freakin analogy, my point is that just because they go to the same school and practice the same art doesn't mean they are the same when it comes to skill and combat. There are many factors that come to play.

@CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Well it kinda depends on what you see has D- or A-. I personally see the Donnie as being a B+ and Mikey being an A- when it comes to Martial Arts. I imagine all of them being all around "good" ninjas but some of them are better suited for some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, kinda dull to make them all cookie cutter.

Though valid reasons - be it cannon or simple assumptions that make sense - for different strengths is appreciated.

i.e. What might make Mikey the fastest? Maybe quick reflexes, but also paired with 'weaker' points of the others...? Raph might be bulkier and not built as much for speed. (More the bull in a china shop, so easy compensation.) The length of Donnie's bo and the way it's used may prevent equally quick action. Similarly Leo's swords are also large weapons, rather dangerous weapons with attention required to using two at once, and the danger of injury to self or allies should probably come with a level of caution that keeps his fight to only a reasonable speed. Mikey's weapons on the other hand can be stopped by him in a moments notice, are harmless out of use, and small enough to not be in the way if he quickly changes gears to hand-to-hand combat. Leo and Donnie inevitably lose time having to re-holster/sheath theirs, and the swords will never lose the need for cautious handling.
I also see their interest putting a factor in this. In most incarnations Splinter tends to give them some downtime and how they spend it effects what they are good at. I see Leo perfecting his Katas, Raph either working out or beating up some punks, Don studying or tinkering with machines and Mikey doing parkour or something.
__________________

Last edited by PApagreg; 01-09-2018 at 04:49 PM.
PApagreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Like, the cartoons think that Donatello would get an A+ in Strategy and a D- in Combat, when really it should be a A+ in Strategy and an A- in Combat.
Thats more of what the Nick and 2003 cartoons did while FW Donatello was equal to his brothers on combat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #31
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,898
Leonardo is the most skilled and routined, but Michelangelo is the best allround fighter.
__________________
Because of all crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #32
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 13,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The internet is telling me that the average weight for a katana ranges between 800 to 1500 grams. Or... between 1.5 - 3 lbs.
Plus, being 23-30 inches in length. It's not only heavy to dualweild but also unwieldy, hard to control and you lose all versatility, ending up being super predictable in a fight. And being a two hand sword you don't cut effectively with just one hand.

Going by that alone, Leo should be the strongest, but not the best tactician or the sharpest tool in the shed

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 01-10-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,001
I don't see what's wrong with the Turtles not all having the same abilities and fighting skills or technique. I mean, I know they're all of the same height and I assume weight as well, but they have different personalities from each other, so naturally they're gonna approach battles differently. Just like in real life, everyone is different somewhat, not just humans but animals as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #34
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,734
Mhmm. I mean, my sister and I were raised by the same people, and both learned what they taught us, but doesn't mean we turned out to be essentially two copies of the same person. In some ways, we couldn't be more different.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #35
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Thats more of what the Nick and 2003 cartoons did while FW Donatello was equal to his brothers on combat.
I don't recall when it was ever stated that he was the least skilled in the 2003 series.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #36
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I don't recall when it was ever stated that he was the least skilled in the 2003 series.
Sorry I meant it the other way around, Don was the least skilled in Nick while he was roughly equal in FW and 2k3.

There was that episode in the Nick toon where Raph and Leonardo were shown as superior fighters than Don and Mike, as far as the latter two being demoted to the B team.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #37
Coola Yagami
Emperor
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Mhmm. I mean, my sister and I were raised by the same people, and both learned what they taught us, but doesn't mean we turned out to be essentially two copies of the same person. In some ways, we couldn't be more different.
Yes, but were you trained to kill the master of a ninjs clan?
__________________
http://markandpaigerodriguez.blogspot.com/ Our blog on random stuff from TMNT to Batman comics to whatever else hits our mind. Also a member of the Heroes in a Halfact Podcast series.
our video game review Youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameMasters09
v=ufYzGoquORs[/url]
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #38
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,734
Don't be silly, of course I was. Opportunities are just very scarce now that the market for evil ninja clan leaders has dried up. Something about some Turtles making the job unappealing, I dunno.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Mhmm. I mean, my sister and I were raised by the same people, and both learned what they taught us, but doesn't mean we turned out to be essentially two copies of the same person. In some ways, we couldn't be more different.
I don't even need to point out how painfully different the TMNT are from that scenario.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,734
*shrug* Call it Mirage canon-based or whatever, your tunnel vision view of them is yours. Some don't ignore the peripheral.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#notmytmnt, plastron goes quiet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.