The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
BlueBandana
Foot Soldier

The BlueBandana Original Art Collection

Hi there everyone. I have been slowly building my collection of original art and sketches for a few years, and have finally got round to scanning and/or photographing most of it. I might create a CAF account sometime in the future but, until then, I will be uploading photos of the pieces I have so far to this thread. Hope you all enjoy looking at my collection, and all comments are welcome!

EDIT: I am now slowly adding a lot of my OA collection to my CAF account:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerynew.asp?GCat=105331

Last edited by BlueBandana; 02-17-2018 at 10:59 PM.
BlueBandana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
cool cool dude, can't wait to see

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
BlueBandana
Foot Soldier

As you can probably tell from my username, Leonardo is my fave turtle, and a lot of my art collection revolves around him. One of the first pieces of original art I got was purchased directly from Sophie Campbell. The original Leo micro is probably my favourite Mirage issue of all time, and the IDW issue is fantastic. In my opinion, Sophie is the best TMNT IDW artist to date, and I'm proud to own some of her artwork. This is the cover to her Leonardo Micro issue, I love the atmosphere and grittiness!

When I purchased the Leonardo cover from Sophie, I also bought 3 pages from the issue as well. Sophie also did this cool sketch for me, which has gradually became one of the overriding themes of my art collection, e.g. black and white pieces with the bandana colored blue (also the origin of my username). I love the intensity of Leo's stare.

And here are the 3 pages from the Leo Micro by Sophie Campbell, they're pages 14, 15 and 16!

Last edited by BlueBandana; 08-07-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Nice!!

Sophies is my favorite non-Mirager
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
BlueBandana
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
Nice!!

Hey man, if she's you're fave non-Mirager, you're going to love this thread

This is an amazing Leo versus Shredder piece that Sophie kindly did for me on a Brett'sComicPile blank. I later got Kevin to sign it for me

Last edited by BlueBandana; 08-07-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
Nice!!

She did covers for the Raphael: Bad Moon Rising miniseries as well as some Tales of the TMNT frontispieces, so she counts as a Mirager as far as I'm concerned.

Very jealous of these pieces! The Leonardo micro cover in particular is probably one of my all-time favourite TMNT covers.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:25 AM   #7
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Great stuff so far, welcome to the fold! Steph (PangolinFeets) should enjoy your stuff (surprised she hasn't commented yet heh) as she is a big Sophie Campbell fan too. Hopefully you'd like the two pieces I also own by her: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryd...ell&GCat=43641

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBandana View Post
unfortunately it was too long to fit in the scanner.
This is why I've begun to take a number of my pieces to work with me and use the scanner/photocopier there, it has a glass just over A3 in size. And rescan some of the stuff I did before for better images, but not everyone is going to have the option there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
She did covers for the Raphael: Bad Moon Rising miniseries
I must admit I did not realise this, I did enjoy the covers to that series.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Dude, great stuff. I love Sophie's stuff too. He covers are bad ass. Plus, we're (I own the original art to SHotFC variant cover) some of the lucky few to own colored work by Sophie. After SHotFC, I think she just did B&W.

Great collection, Campbell, Talbot and Eastman. All artists that I think are essential to any TMNT OA collector.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Thanks for the nice comments, I always hope people enjoy seeing the stuff I put up in my CAF portfolio

As for watercolours, I suspect it depends on what type and how much are used. I've got some new Stan Sakai coloured pieces that are on Bristol no much thicker than that used by Sophie, and they are fine, but I do have a piece by him that has buckled a bit too. Possibly changed watercolours over the years. Most of Stan's modern watercolours for the trade books (covers and tip-in plates) are on 4-ply or 5-ply board, much thicker and can withstand repeated water paint strokes.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
She did covers for the Raphael: Bad Moon Rising miniseries as well as some Tales of the TMNT frontispieces, so she counts as a Mirager as far as I'm concerned.

Very jealous of these pieces! The Leonardo micro cover in particular is probably one of my all-time favourite TMNT covers.
Wow, I never realized it until you said anything but now I totally recognize those Raph: Bad Moon Rising covers as Campbell's work. Very distinctive artstyle.

Pretty lousy miniseries, though.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
BlueBandana
Foot Soldier

Quote:

Thanks for your comment! You're right about Sophie doing some work for Mirage. She even sent me signed copies of the Mirage issues she worked on, that's how super-cool she is

I was also lucky to get some cool TMNT prints from her too!

Plus she did some cool headsketch remarques on my Northampton issues. Going clockwise, there's Dark Leo (#32RI), Alopex (#30A), Koya (#31A), new haircut April (#29A), and Leo (#32A).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Great stuff so far, welcome to the fold! Steph (PangolinFeets) should enjoy your stuff (surprised she hasn't commented yet heh) as she is a big Sophie Campbell fan too. Hopefully you'd like the two pieces I also own by her: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryd...ell&GCat=43641
Hi there, I know I recognized your name, I've gone through your CAF gallery! I have a lot more pieces by Sophie you might enjoy seeing, for example the Leo splash page from the Northampton arc. I purchased this page from Sophie and asked if she would be open to coloring it for me since I prefer her colors over Rhonda's. Sophie thought it was a cool idea, although she stopped working on it after the page started to buckle under the weight of the watercolors. It looks stunning in person, a very unique piece.

Last edited by BlueBandana; 06-16-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
As you can probably tell from my username, Leonardo is my fave turtle, and a lot of my art collection revolves around him. One of the first pieces of original art I got was purchased directly from Sophie Campbell. The original Leo micro is probably my favourite Mirage issue of all time, and the IDW issue is fantastic. In my opinion, Sophie is the best TMNT IDW artist to date, and I'm proud to own some of her artwork. This is the cover to her Leonardo micro, I love the atmosphere and grittiness!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...pszabkp1lj.jpg
Dang, Leo is surrounded. I just get a little nervous for him thinking about that approaching battle. But his face doesn't show one glimmer of doubt. Bravery. Awesome piece.

Quote:
When I purchased the Leonardo micro cover from Sophie, I also bought 3 pages from the issue as well. Sophie also did this cool sketch for me, which has gradually became one of the overriding themes of my art collection, e.g. black and white pieces with the bandana colored blue (also the origin of my username). I love the intensity of Leo's stare.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...pso42a3wnn.jpg
It is a cool bandana. I'm digging the tattered edge look with it and the black stripe starting behind his eye. Look forward to seeing more.

Last edited by Jester; 06-25-2016 at 08:37 AM.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
BlueBandana
Foot Soldier

Here is another Leo piece from Sophie that fits in with my "black and white art with bandana colored blue" theme, unfortunately it was too long to fit in the scanner.

On the back is a prelim done in pencil.

Last edited by BlueBandana; 08-07-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
damn dude her stuff is amazing! love the art

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
BlueBandana
Foot Soldier

Thanks to everyone for commenting on what I've shared so far, as well as for being so welcoming! More art soon.

Last edited by BlueBandana; 03-14-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #16
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Love the pieces man! Sweet collection. Always nice to meet a fellow art nut. Welcome aboard!
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #17
BlueBandana
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA View Post
Love the pieces man! Sweet collection. Always nice to meet a fellow art nut. Welcome aboard!
That's a real compliment coming from you, thanks!

Another one fitting with my "black and white art with bandana colored blue" theme, this is by Eric Talbot.

Last edited by BlueBandana; 08-07-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Really digging that Macro. Congrats!
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #19
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

There were a few alterations made from the original to the final published look...one of which was the blue bandana.

Was the original always that way or did she add that after the fact knowing it was going to you?

Either way, it's very nice! Congratulations
Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #20
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

awesome pieces!
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote