The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #3401
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I can't recall that we've ever heard it!
Just wondered if you guys came up with one or not. It'd be kinda cool if we found out by seeing her human self on a rap sheet like bebop and rocksteady.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #3402
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

No, not to my memory, though I could be wrong.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #3403
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fudge-Arc...s%2C420&sr=8-8

Would this be big enough to store the Last Ronin mini-series individual issues?
Old 06-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #3404
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fudge-Arc...s%2C420&sr=8-8

Would this be big enough to store the Last Ronin mini-series individual issues?
That link isn't working but if it's the same as the ones you linked to in the TLR#3 thread then the answer would be no. Those issues are 7.1" x 10.875" and those bags are just a bit smaller at 6.87" x 10.5"
Old 06-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #3405
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
That link isn't working but if it's the same as the ones you linked to in the TLR#3 thread then the answer would be no. Those issues are 7.1" x 10.875" and those bags are just a bit smaller at 6.87" x 10.5"
Would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Non-Resealabl...086749&sr=8-16
Old 06-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #3406
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Going by the dimensions and the commentary in the Q+A/ review section, they should work but you may want to swap out the boards for something slightly thicker.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #3407
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

I've been a TMNT fan my entire life, growing up with the original comics and movies, discovering the mirage books in high school and getting into collecting all the back issues, variants and figures in my adulthood the heroes in a half shell have always been my thing. When I picked up the IDW comic in it's first year I was thrilled. Tom Waltz took so many different pieces of previous turtle lore and fresh new ideas and created something amazing with his run. For about a decade it's been my favorite comic to read and collect. I have hundreds of variants, collected editions and I've even been lucky enough to have original art pages and commissions from several of the artists that made this comic what it was.

Ever since Tom left to write Last Ronin the book has really changed for the worse. Mutant Town was such an interesting concept that ended up doubling down on the problem the book already was facing, introducing so many characters and leaving the turtles to the sidelines. I get the slice of life angle but all the relationships, slum politics and battle of the bands nonsense has really run this series dry. Not only has Mutant Town been dull, long winded and anticlimactic it's all we get.

Fiction aside, it seems like the budget for the flagship book has been massively cut. All of the old talent that used to rotate through the issues are gone and instead of a companion book we just get a line of reprints... Paul Allor, Ben Bates, Erik Burnham, Michael Dialynas, Cory Smith, Charles Paul Wilson III, Dave Watcher, Mateus Santolouco to name a few, so many talented artist no longer working on this book. No more 5 week events like we were getting annually. I'm told that the book is selling great and ronin is a smash hit but it doesn't seem like there's any growth with allowing us to have exciting ninja stories in space and in the streets AND let Sophie play her animal animal crossing dating sim. Don't get me wrong she draws some great turtles but the writing is not there and it's gone on for so long that everyone I know that reads this book has been over it for so long.

I've tried to go along with it and support the book because it helps my LCS and IDW to maintain the license, but no matter how many "angry" letters you publish there doesn't seem to be much real response to criticism. "Just wait there will be something you'll like later" well it's been so long since issue 100 and I can't say anything that's happened since then was that amazing. Even shoe horning Tokka and Razhar into the Bill & Ted story fell flat. It's recently come to my attention that Sophie's even blocked me from Twitter so it looks like the team responsible for this book doesn't even want to hear any comments that aren't praise.

I get if it's just a job for you, it's been a big part of my life and it's something that I can no longer identify with. Mutant Town has been such a major disappointment and I can't believe it's just going to go on and on into 2022. Please take this to heart and find a way to bring some life back into this comic. Let some other talent have a turn and let's break out of Mutant Town.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:35 PM   #3408
Lukenstein
New Recruit

Hi Bobby, I’ve heard about the licenses to Transformers and GI Joe leaving IDW sometime in 2022, at least that’s what people were saying. Would anything like that happen to TMNT? And if/when the current TMNT run does end, I hope it has some conclusion that makes all the reading and collecting worthwhile, meaning, I hope it doesn’t end abruptly one random issue like some comics have done cause they lose the rights to publish a certain property (like Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog) or cause of business related stuff. When it does end, I want it feel right. After Armageddon Game at least lol, been waiting to see what Rat King is up to.

Last edited by Lukenstein; 12-02-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Lukenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #3409
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
I've been a TMNT fan my entire life, growing up with the original comics and movies, discovering the mirage books in high school and getting into collecting all the back issues, variants and figures in my adulthood the heroes in a half shell have always been my thing. When I picked up the IDW comic in it's first year I was thrilled. Tom Waltz took so many different pieces of previous turtle lore and fresh new ideas and created something amazing with his run. For about a decade it's been my favorite comic to read and collect. I have hundreds of variants, collected editions and I've even been lucky enough to have original art pages and commissions from several of the artists that made this comic what it was.

Ever since Tom left to write Last Ronin the book has really changed for the worse. Mutant Town was such an interesting concept that ended up doubling down on the problem the book already was facing, introducing so many characters and leaving the turtles to the sidelines. I get the slice of life angle but all the relationships, slum politics and battle of the bands nonsense has really run this series dry. Not only has Mutant Town been dull, long winded and anticlimactic it's all we get.

Fiction aside, it seems like the budget for the flagship book has been massively cut. All of the old talent that used to rotate through the issues are gone and instead of a companion book we just get a line of reprints... Paul Allor, Ben Bates, Erik Burnham, Michael Dialynas, Cory Smith, Charles Paul Wilson III, Dave Watcher, Mateus Santolouco to name a few, so many talented artist no longer working on this book. No more 5 week events like we were getting annually. I'm told that the book is selling great and ronin is a smash hit but it doesn't seem like there's any growth with allowing us to have exciting ninja stories in space and in the streets AND let Sophie play her animal animal crossing dating sim. Don't get me wrong she draws some great turtles but the writing is not there and it's gone on for so long that everyone I know that reads this book has been over it for so long.

I've tried to go along with it and support the book because it helps my LCS and IDW to maintain the license, but no matter how many "angry" letters you publish there doesn't seem to be much real response to criticism. "Just wait there will be something you'll like later" well it's been so long since issue 100 and I can't say anything that's happened since then was that amazing. Even shoe horning Tokka and Razhar into the Bill & Ted story fell flat. It's recently come to my attention that Sophie's even blocked me from Twitter so it looks like the team responsible for this book doesn't even want to hear any comments that aren't praise.

I get if it's just a job for you, it's been a big part of my life and it's something that I can no longer identify with. Mutant Town has been such a major disappointment and I can't believe it's just going to go on and on into 2022. Please take this to heart and find a way to bring some life back into this comic. Let some other talent have a turn and let's break out of Mutant Town.

Hey Spooky, thanks for all the support over the years. I hear that you're unhappy with the ongoing. It would be easy for you to just throw some anger my way, so I appreciate you taking the time to write down your opinions here in a thoughtful manner. I don't know if my response here will make a difference to you, but nonetheless:

Speaking personally, there's things I think that have worked really well in the ongoing over the past two years, and things that I'm not such a big fan of. We probably agree on some of those things, and disagree on others. The point is, I can see where people feel like this is a different book from #1-100. It IS a different book! And it makes sense for some people not to dig it.

The thing is, there's tons of people who LOVE what Sophie is doing, including the folks at Nickelodeon. Are there people like yourself who dislike it? Absolutely. But sales are up on the ongoing title since #100 so it's hard for the company to point to there being something wrong with it. We deal with a lot of licenses and almost every single one has a passionate fanbase, which means we hear a lot of different feedback. It can be hard to parse all the different voices which is why ultimately how the book is doing sales wise will be the biggest determining factor.

For that reason, I think the best thing you can do is write (as you have, thanks!) and vote with your dollars. I'm not asking you to stick around-- that's a decision you have to make for yourself, but I will say that Tom is going to be writing plenty of TMNT next year and that there are also some other very big changes afoot that should become clear before the end of this year. I can't say how you'll like those changes but I can promise things are indeed evolving and changing, so if you dislike the current status quo there will be opportunities to jump on board again before too long.

But don't take my word for it. Keep an eye on the solicits and see if anything over the next couple of months catches your interest. I've read the flagship titles of Batman, Spiderman and X-Men for 30 years and there have definitely been times when i've been in your shoes-- unhappy with what's going on and it doesn't look like anything is going to change. But they always do, and I always found a spot to jump back in. I hope that will be the case here for you with TMNT.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I hope that it's clear from my involvement over the years that this was never just a job for me. I care about TMNT and it's always nice to hear from other people who care too. We might not always agree, but it's great when we can talk to each other and get a feel for what everyone is thinking.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #3410
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukenstein View Post
Hi Bobby, I’ve heard about the licenses to Transformers and GI Joe leaving IDW sometime in 2022, at least that’s what people were saying. Would anything like that happen to TMNT? And if/when the current TMNT run does end, I hope it has some conclusion that makes all the reading and collecting worthwhile, meaning, I hope it doesn’t end abruptly one random issue like some comics have done cause they lose the rights to publish a certain property (like Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog) or cause of business related stuff. When it does end, I want it feel right. After Armageddon Game at least lol, been waiting to see what Rat King is up to.
To my knowledge, TMNT isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We actually just had a meeting with Nickelodeon today where we outlined our 2022 and beyond plans and it seemed to go well. At least I thought so! And agreed, I wouldn't want the series to end without a proper ending either!
Old 12-07-2021, 02:39 AM   #3411
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Speaking personally, there's things I think that have worked really well in the ongoing over the past two years, and things that I'm not such a big fan of. We probably agree on some of those things, and disagree on others. The point is, I can see where people feel like this is a different book from #1-100. It IS a different book! And it makes sense for some people not to dig it.

The thing is, there's tons of people who LOVE what Sophie is doing, including the folks at Nickelodeon. Are there people like yourself who dislike it? Absolutely. But sales are up on the ongoing title since #100 so it's hard for the company to point to there being something wrong with it.
Thanks for the honest response Bobby. The thing is, barely anyone I know, and that's a lot of TMNT comic fans in various groups, dig how it's gone since #100 and I can't say I'm particularly enarmoured either, and I've been reading TMNT since the late 1980s. So seemingly you've pulled in a lot of new readers if the overall sales are up, but at the expense of a lot of long time readers in the process. Is that a good thing? Will the new readers move on oe stay once this current storyline thread is over? Hard to say. But you've lost quite a few folks who were with you on this journey since IDW #1.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:27 AM   #3412
Lukenstein
New Recruit

Quote:
To my knowledge, TMNT isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We actually just had a meeting with Nickelodeon today where we outlined our 2022 and beyond plans and it seemed to go well. At least I thought so! And agreed, I wouldn't want the series to end without a proper ending either!
Ok, sounds good to me! Thanks Bobby.
Lukenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #3413
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

So Bobby, can we expect the new editor to pick up where you left off with regards to this thread?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #3414
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So Bobby, can we expect the new editor to pick up where you left off with regards to this thread?
No way, this is my thread! They gotta find their own. This will remain a special place for increasingly irrelevant questions.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #3415
CyberCubed
Overlord

Bobby just like to say thanks for the awesome job as editor over the last decade. Been reading since 2011 with the very first issue till now, it was quite a ride over this last decade. Seeing how IDW TMNT evolved from the very beginning till now has been very interesting, especially since it was also the first new TMNT product since Nick bought TMNT from Mirage, it even pre-dated the 2012 Nick cartoon by a year so it was our first taste of "new" TMNT under Nick/Viacom.

Also can't wait to see how The Last Ronin concludes early next year and what Tom Waltz has planned for the main series when he writes the Armageddon War.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #3416
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Thanks, Cubed!
Old 12-16-2021, 01:59 AM   #3417
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Thanks for everything Bobby, here's to clear skies and smooth sailing in you future.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #3418
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Thanks, hypered!
Old 12-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #3419
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #3420
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Thanks for everything you did Bobby, You help make the comic the most definitive version of TMNT ever, Your contributions brought new life to this series.

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz